A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: c.d's & d.v.d.'s, you know, the eff-ups that become coasters  (Read 2760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hapslappy
« on: August 19, 2006 06:35:24 AM »

I always am throwing away mad amounts of c.d.'s that don't burn properly & have the feeling it isn't just me.  The backs of them are so pretty & shiny that I've always daydreamed of refinishing something with them.  A table, a wall, who knows?  It would be cool to see what people come up with.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"um, there might be some hair stitched in there......"
Weeeeeeeeee!!!
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 09:32:34 PM »

you could break them, although CD's are extremely hard to break.. but when they do, they like shatter.. and you could use it as a mosaic type of thing by gluing the pieces to something... or glue it to something as a shattered mirror effect.

next time i get those cool AOL Cd's in the mail that my dad throws out right away, i'm going to save them so i can do that. you're a genius.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 09:55:27 PM »

my friends have all their crap cd's hanging on a wall in those clear cd holders. everyone who visits gets to decorate the cd of their choice with sharpies to leave random messages/pictures/whatever they feel like
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006 06:39:37 AM »

my friends have all their crap cd's hanging on a wall in those clear cd holders. everyone who visits gets to decorate the cd of their choice with sharpies to leave random messages/pictures/whatever they feel like

What a fun idea!  My friends daughter painted and used sharpies and made all her friends christmas ornaments out of these last year.  They were personalized and very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gclifford3
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006 03:48:49 AM »

Check these out:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37709059/ (my favourite)
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37708768/

Just an idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhSoRetroDarling

rummaging for answers in the pages

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006 11:59:27 AM »

I have some stuck onto my bedroom door. as I get more I put them on...all my friends love it & so do I  Wink It looks awesome.

Also, I have seen where you take cds & link them together to make a curtain. kinda like those ones you put in doorways made from plastic beads. Its way cool. Always wanted to try it, but didnt know how to poke a hole into the cds to tie/wire/connect them all together...??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creative thinking may mean simply the realization that theres no particular virtue in doing things the way they always have been done.
tejas_princess
I just started Crafting

I have a site.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006 02:53:01 PM »

you could break them, although CD's are extremely hard to break.. but when they do, they like shatter.. and you could use it as a mosaic type of thing by gluing the pieces to something... or glue it to something as a shattered mirror effect.

You could use box cutters to cut them... it would be alot easier... You could also glue the broken pieces to a frame and put pictures of your friends and give them away as gifts. Just a thought
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006 07:43:17 PM »

There's a really cool record store (oop did I say record?  Well that's what they used to sell back in the day and I remember when they still had them!), it's a few blocks from my house and really famous in the Chicagoland area (Rolling Stones, if ya heard of it) -- they have the ceiling COVERED with CDs and there's even ones hanging down.  I think they must have done it shortly after CDs appeared because I don't remember what they had up before, but it just looks so awesome!  I love shopping there (cuz of that and their prices beat everywhere else!)

Wow, did that one long sentence even make sense?  Time for a nap methinks.....

The zooey Mary Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006 04:19:05 AM »

Just a thought (from my real life as a plastics engineer) Polycarbonate is the material that CD's are made from. its the same stuff thats used in riot shields and safety goggles, etc, so its designed not to break,

but it has two achillies heels,

it is sensitive to scratching, so if you score the CD before you break it, with a sharp point, an awl or nail or something like that, and its also sensitive to temperature. If you make it really cold it should be easier to break (at least thats how the theory goes, some of my students tried this out one frost night with a telephone kiosk, but thats a whole other story)

so scratch it and then put it in the freezer overnight, at the bottom of the freezer so its colder, then smash it with a hammer while still very cold...

let me know how you get on as I havent actually tried this myself!!

Happy smashing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006 04:41:41 PM »

I was in some swanky art gallery in San Francisco and I remember a "Fish" wall sculpture whose scales were CDs or DVDs I don't really know. Around here my husband uses them as Frisbee darts on a big cork board outside. If you do it right they stick in the cork, if not they hit and drop to the ground, we haven't broken many yet, even though that was the original idea. When he threw it, and the darn thing stuck in a cement block wall outside he came up with CD darts, just be careful it did "stick" in the wall like a throwing star.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/6
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 9/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 4/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 8/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...