A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 10" circular needles?!  (Read 1620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Loo
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006 11:25:49 AM »

When I first started knitting (about 3 yrs ago), I had a pattern that called for a 10" or maybe even an 8" circular. When I asked my LYS, the lady said no one carried those because they would hurt your hands & wrists to use them. Then she showed me how to use the DPNs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd hate to be the only funny bouncing one in the room."  -Ani Difranco

http://seelooknit.blogspot.com/
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006 11:39:26 AM »

For those of you who hate dpns (I love them, myself) have you tried the two circs method?  It's less restrictive than the one tiny circ, although I knit continental like Lothruin, so maybe the small circs are just a pain for continental knitters?
I just recently learned the two circs method and don't love it, but am glad to know it. There's a video at knittinghelp.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xchinagurlyx
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006 12:22:26 PM »

I haven't tried the Clover 12" circulars (I like my sleeves to be at most 12", so it's not useful to me for that).  I did buy a few of the 8.25" circulars, and I couldn't use them at all.  I'm 21 and I have small hands, but they (the hands) kept cramping when I tried to use them.  But then I don't knit Continental... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006 02:06:29 PM »

I have a pair of Unique 4.5 mm circulars that are 40cm (that would be 10 to 12 inches). I actually just picked them up at Zellers the other day. Haven't used them yet. They were about $3.99 Canadian
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschy-kitchen
finishes last

knits with elves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006 05:21:37 PM »

i had 2  of the 12" addi circulars and they were awful to knit with (holy hand cramps !). i ended up returning them and taught myself magic loop instead. i have to say, unless you have super tiny hands, the short circulars are probably just going to feel awkward.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006 08:21:55 PM »

I have 2 sets of Addi 12" circs that I got from Elann.  One of them is a US7/4.5mm which seems to be the size I need most often for sleeves.  Given my general laziness dislike of purling in stocking stitch, I quite like being able to work sleeves in the round.

The other set are a US2/2.75mm which I use for socks.  When I first started using them, I hadn't worked with that small a gauge needle in any type, and it took me a bit to get used to the teeny needle and the short cord.  But, considering that dpns on ribbing were causing me to swear like a sailor and want to never touch fibre again, I found it a good alternative.  I don't use them for everything; patterns with cabling or lace/increases and decreases are a bit frustrating on them. 

I often think I should pick up another couple of sets in other sizes.  I like the convenience and I've gotten used to the short needles. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
sunshineknits
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006 07:33:48 PM »

Ok, so i started on a hat in the round of course on my needles ... its pretty rad. I love using every kind of needle, circ, straight, dpn... I bought these needles cause i hate it when i get to the near end of the hat and i have to switch to dpns.. but i dont actually mind USING the dpns.. weird i know.  anyway.. so i got them so i could wait longer to the finishing of the hat to change to dpns. so i'm liking it. in the beginning it was frusterating to get used to so many stitches on my needles, but i like it now. mine are a size 4.  it would be cool if i could get them bigger Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  (1922-2007)
chloe_hippy
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006 10:47:10 AM »

I have a pair of Unique 4.5 mm circulars that are 40cm (that would be 10 to 12 inches).

they would actually be about 16 inches. 1 inch = 2.5 cm

Carrie

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006 10:57:01 AM »

I have a pair of Unique 4.5 mm circulars that are 40cm (that would be 10 to 12 inches).

they would actually be about 16 inches. 1 inch = 2.5 cm

Carrie

Thanks for the conversion.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006 03:34:05 PM »

I have the mini plastic Clovers and love them for knitting wristwarmers!  I'm totally klutzy with DPNs, so these are great.  I actually went on eBay and bought them in every available size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Wall Sculpture by Robin Antar
About the Dying Art of Stone Carving
Giant Hot Wheels Sculpture
Sandcastle: Creating the Sand Pile
Creating the Towers of the Sandcastle
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...