A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Debbie Bliss Jumper, having some trouble...  (Read 727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

april_cocaine
« on: August 17, 2006 04:02:54 PM »

I  bought a lovely Debbie Bliss book  (the family collection) yesterday, and plan to make one of the simple sweaters, with a shawl type collar. But I'm having some trouble.

First up, the measurements seem wrong. To fit me (36inch bust) I would need to make it up in the 4-6 years pattern. Yup, I said 4 to 6 years. This seems all wrong. Can anyone put me straight?

Second, I don't have the money to spend on Rowan Chunky (which I can't actually find anywhere anyway), so does anyone know any substitutions in the UK?

any help is greatly apprecited!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006 02:44:09 AM »

sure you're not confusing inches and cm measurements somehow? that'd be the only way i could think of (short of a misprint) that such a drastic difference in size would occur.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewLeodensian
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006 02:58:04 AM »

The Debbie Bliss patterns are always huge when it comes to the chest measurements, I have seen it discussed online before!  I don't have that particular book, but I know in the book "New Baby Knits" that the chest measurement for one cardigan for a 3 year old is 31.5 inches.  I remember reading in an interview with Debbie Bliss in a magazine somewhere (maybe an old Interweave Knits) that she designs everything to fit like a sweatshirt. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
april_cocaine
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006 08:53:20 AM »

that's ok then, I was a little worried that I'd end up with a random sized jumper.

I still need a good substitution yarn though....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bryonyramsden
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006 03:24:50 AM »

I can vouch for the sizes being big in DB patterns.  I made the ribby cardi from the cashmere collection booklet and it was terrible - really big and shapeless Sad  Not to say that your chosen pattern won't work out, particularly if you are making a child's size (I made the one for my bust measurement).

What gauge is Rowan Chunky?  I can't find any references to it on the Rowan website, even in the discontinued yarns section.  If you can give us the gauge from the pattern book, it should be quite easy to find a nice UK sub yarn (I am a Brit knitter too, and I have lots of good cheap sources for you Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
NewLeodensian
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006 04:20:10 AM »

Is it Rowanspun Chunky (142 yds/100g) that it required for the pattern?  If so, I think the gauge is 12sts x 16 rows on 8 mm needles (from the sub suggested on the Rowan site, which is Scottish Tweed Chunky).  Texere (www.texere.co.uk) has quite a few different yarns if you go through the pages, and the mill is great to visit if you are up near Bradford.  If not, I would maybe just try some of the Twilleys or Wendy wools to see what you can find...

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
april_cocaine
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006 04:40:42 AM »

It simply says "rowan chunky". nothing about tweed or anything :\

the gauge is 14 st, 20 rows to 4inches, using 6.5mm needles.
 I would be ok with substituting it with stuff from my local yarns hop, but they mostly sell acrylic DK, and novelty yarn. I'd like an online place if possible.

so would it be best to just ignore the sizes,a nd just go with the measurments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006 06:33:34 AM »

so would it be best to just ignore the sizes,a nd just go with the measurments?

That would probably work the best.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
bryonyramsden
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006 03:25:29 AM »

Ok, so if it is 14 sts, you should definitely give these yarns consideration (I've got these ones from yarndex.com, a very handy site where you can search by weight or gauge of yarn Cheesy):

Rowan Cork (which is discontinued, but you might be able to find some cheap on Ebay)
Wendy/Peter Pan Chunky with Wool or Classics Courtelle Chunky
Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky (not the cheapest of yarns, but you can probably get a good deal on one of the discontinued colours on Ebay.  If you are making a small size tho, it might be worth investing in because of how lovely it is)
Sirdar Click Chunky (I have some of this, and it is very cheap and cheerful, and lovely for the price)
Sirdar Bonus Chunky (DIRT cheap - 1.10 for 100g)
Sirdar Denim Chunky (more expensive, but washes well, lasts a long time, and has a nice tweedy texture)

As already suggested, Texere are excellent and you can buy online from them (they have a gorgeous chunky alpaca blend for 8.00 a 400g cone, but I'd email and check whether you'd be able to get gauge.  They also do excellent undyed pure wool cones in a chunky weight - I've used their 4 ply lambswool cones and it is lovely and soft).  Ebay is always a goodie if you are willing to put up a fight Wink and there are quite a few good sites with sale sections worth checking.

http://www.cpu-enterprises.com/ is good for cheaper brands with wool content like the Sirdar stuff, and she sells them pretty cheap compared to some shops anyway (postage is only 2 quid Cheesy).

Get Knitted have loads of sales yarns, and they have one that might be ok - GGH Samoa for 1.49 a ball.  It is normally 16sts, but if you go up a needle it might work.

http://www.celticove.com/acatalog/Jaeger_Stock_Clearance.html have Jaeger extra fine merino chunky on 3 for 2 which might be rather lovely Cheesy and if you look at the 'other' in the sale section, there is a lovely Filati yarn called Funky for not much money.

You might also be interested to know that http://secure.elann.com/frames.asp ship to the UK, and they are fabby at doing bargains Cheesy (incidentally they have DB merino chunky for $3.98, and at the current exchange rate that is pretty much 2 quid a ball.  Remember that you'll have extra postage tho).

Lastly, http://scandinavianknittingdesign.com/html/wool_yarns.html#alaska might be of use to you - Alaska knits up at 17sts, but Drops have patterns with it at 14sts, and it is really good value for 100% wool too.  All the Garnstudio yarns are fab by the way Cheesy  And SKD are really quick and cheap (their alpaca 4ply is really really gorgeous).

Hope you find something you like out of this lot, and that I haven't just given you a load of links you already knew about!

Bryony

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
april_cocaine
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006 06:13:45 AM »

Bryony, you are offically the most helpful person ever.

You deserve many many cookies Cheesy thanks for your help, I'll check out all the links and stuffs, and hopefully you'll see a jumper in a few weeks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Clooney on Ides of March
A Scene from Real Steel with Hugh Jackman
Zooey Deschanel Creates The Music for Winnie The Pooh
The Making of 30 Minutes or Less
Mila Kunis on Friends with Benefits
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...