A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with Cross stitch?  (Read 4368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 17, 2006 06:04:49 AM »

See, it goes like this.
Whilst I can do many many types of embroidery, I usually cross-stitch. I prefer it. I find it very calming and very meditative.

Now, ignoring the fact that the majority of x-stitch patterns are AWFUL, I have finished a few major projects - mostly geisha girls, but anyway. I stitch and stitch these things, and I love them greatly, but I never know what to do with them afterwards. Please don't mention framing - I can't hang things from the wall in my rented place, the price of framing is prohibitive, and.... I just kinda have a thing against framed embroidery.

What should I do with them? And, while I have the soapbox - what does one do with x-stitch? As a decorative element I mean. I don't do napery, so no tea towels or tablecloths, I'd like to use it to decorate clothing and bags, but when I imagine it in my head, it always looks stupid and grandma-ish.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
paroper
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006 07:45:02 AM »

I've made lovely pillows out of one of my friends' cross stitch. 

Also, if you have a theme going, why not join with strips of material in the same theme and make a quilt?  If you don't quilt yourself, you can always tie with embroidery floss in the center of the "framing" strips. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006 07:53:24 AM »

friend of my sister in law has a king size coverlet for her guest bed that had elleven or so cross stitched geisha/maiko/tayuu/orian on it with larger and smaller blocks of kimono print cotton.  The prints color coordinate with the kimono of one or more of the ladies.  I've seen it once (but the picture didn't come out at all) and thought it was a really neat way to use a LOT of themed cross stitch that *didn't* frame it on a wall.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006 07:57:37 AM »

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

The canvas measures 47x58 cms, so wouldn't fit on a pillow. I could turn it into a bed spread, I guess.... except that I have another 2 or three geisha-themed things that are about the same size - but with different colour schemes.

I really want to show them off. I've yet to see one person not blown away by what messy, disorganised, erratic and off-the-cuff me can do, when I'm at home relaxing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
dasyatis

heck yeah! let's dance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006 08:00:08 AM »

well, i'm certainly blown away! i was going to say you could turn it into a bag (definitely not grandma style!), or you could make a wall scroll kind of thing with them, maybe sew them onto a nice piece of fabric and hang that on the wall- that avoids the whole framing problem, and would look neat, i think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if mame was right and life really is a banquet, then i think i'm on a diet...totally against my will.

bloggy goodness
http://ludmilla42.blogspot.com/
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006 08:10:48 AM »

I think the only colors all the ladies on Elizabeth's coverlet had in common were black and white.  So her coverlet from a distance (down the hall) looked at a glace like a large scale scrap quilt.  She had things laid out so you saw a diagonal "stripe" of yellows and oranges, then a "stripe" of blues and a "stripe" of purples and greens.

I suspect she laid it out on her living room floor then ran upstairs to see if it looked right from the balcony, and if it didn't ran back down to rearrange the blocks. (if I had a two story place like hers it's what I'd do laying out a large scale multi-colored piece, no design wall?  Use the floor!)

and 18 1/2 by 23 inches (conversion for the non metric) is a good size for a large "decorator" or floor pillow.  The ones we have to pad out the back of our futon couch are 25 inches (83 1/2 cm) square at the smallest.

Of course those pillows are made from upholstery fabrics and periodically get taken camping with us for ground seating (wry smile) nothing I'd *ever* do to a large embroidery piece.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
paroper
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006 08:21:33 AM »

Mary Tyler Moore, while doing the "Dick Van Dyke Show" back in the 60's or so did embroidery between shoots.  She decided to do an entire sofa and love seat (cushions).  Over the years she finished (as I remember ) back and seat cushions for a 3-4 cushion divan and a matching love seat.  I've seen pictures!  They were lovely. 

If the colors were right, you could turn these into lovely cushion covers for your own divan, just fill in with flattering fabrics where the pices were too small. 

I think these are totally stunning!!!  I know you'll come up with something lovely to use them on.  You need to do another an put if on the back of an oriental jacket!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonfairy

Credendo Vides

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006 08:32:12 AM »

OMG thats an amazing embroidery  Shocked
The first thing in mind is that they are going to be great on curtains  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraphtee87
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 08:33:42 AM »

If I were you, I'd frame them and hang them on my wall.  Wow.. that is.. gorgeous... I wish I had the patients to do something like that.. where did you get the pattern, or did you make it up yourself?  Amazing.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006 08:42:02 AM »

Boy do I know where you're coming from! I still have finished needlepoint in a closet waiting to be framed or pillowed. It's been over 8 years since I finished some of them! My problem is I loved to stitch but I hate wall hangings and a loath decorative pillows. So, they sit and age in the dark.

Once, I decided, enough! I'm going to make something practical. So I started a rug. 3 years later it's still 2/3 finished. I gave up.

My sister in law is an avid x-stitcher. She found a sweet but not too grandma-y pattern that she makes for friends and family that move in to a new home. It says "Wherever you wander, wherever you roam, be happy and healthy and glad to come home" Then she personalizes it with different images. It's not too, too corny and with the amount of family she has she's always busy making more! I guess what I'm getting at is give it away! And make more. And give it away. And make more...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Necklace
How to Make a Pair of Earrings
How to Make a Silver Ring
How to Make a Crystal Pendant
How to Make a Beaded Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...