A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baker's Rack  (Read 1402 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ScrapbookFaery
« on: August 16, 2006 09:47:58 AM »

So I have two bakers racks in my kitchen. It's those medium sized chrome ones from Wally World.  The shelves are those wired shelves so small things could definitely fall through the cracks and items with small bases aren't steady and tip over.  Like most people I need to stack items so this is causing a problem.  Does anyone have any recommendations for having a solid bottom on the shelves?  We are renting a duplex and my DH doesn't have any wood cutting tools. I would like to be able to just set a solid something in there on each shelf so it cannot be very thick.  I would like for it to be no thick than 1/4 inch.

I have thought about just making a fabric liner using some thick sturdy fabric like some quilted fabric and then it would even have that shelf liner quality (ahem...pretty).  I'm okay with it being open; I really don't want to make a curtain to cover the front.  I just want the shelves to be solid, ya know?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006 11:46:36 AM »

I was in  the Dollar  Tree yesterday and noticed they had foam like boards.  Wonder if you could use that but still cover with  fabric....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cybilverbeana

mmm...lipstick....mom's good lipstick....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006 11:52:28 AM »

did you know that you can go to home depot and lowes and they will cut wood for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a wist list!
http://www.wists.com/cybilverbeana

willing to do personal atc swaps! PM me if interested....
ScrapbookFaery
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006 12:03:32 PM »

I found a product that a company called Metro puts out. They're clean vinyl sheets that enables you to put smaller items w/out them falling through and they are the correct size, 14 X 36.  My only drawback is that they are $7.99/ea.  With 8 shelves at 8 bucks a pop that's $64 + tax.  I can't justify that purchase when I didn't even spend that much for the shelves, ya know?

If I get wood shelves I will need it be really thin wood.  Does wood come in thin sheets?  Not plywood, I really don't have the space to deal with plywood.  I have extremely limited space.   I would so much rather ask you all these silly questions than look someone in the face at the store while I try to figure this out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrapbookFaery
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006 12:05:27 PM »

Crazeemoi -

What kind of foam board?  We have a Dollar Tree here so I'm definitely willing to go look.

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrapbookFaery
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006 12:49:10 PM »

I forgot to say that the Metro sheets I found online were from The Container Store.  Maybe that's why they're $7.99/each.  That wouldn't be a bad thing if I only needed one but I need eight.  That would hurt my pocketbook a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006 07:04:16 PM »

Is what you are wanting to put on it hot? I used thick clear vinyl on mine. I just wrapped it around the whole thing but that didn't really work because I couln't figure out how to keep it closed. SO i cut both layers and layed them on top of each other and it works really well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006 07:11:51 PM »

garsh...... i dont  know what kind of foam board.     Maybe 1/8 inch thick or a bit thicker.  They were in a box......not on a shelf.  I dont remember the box they were in having any advertising on it.       Sorry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zendaisy

My hovercraft is full of eels.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006 10:37:20 PM »

garsh...... i dont  know what kind of foam board.     Maybe 1/8 inch thick or a bit thicker.  They were in a box......not on a shelf.  I dont remember the box they were in having any advertising on it.       Sorry

Is it maybe craft foam?  (I think that's what it's called.)  It comes in sheets, and it would be easy to cut with a box cutter or something--probably even scissors.  The stuff I've seen at Michaels and places like that is in sheets about the size of a piece of paper, but I would imagine it probably comes in other sizes.  I haven't used it, but I've seen stuff made out of it, and it seems like it would be sturdy enough for something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an Al-ette!
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006 10:46:57 PM »

I would think that foam board referenced above is what I've always called foam core. It's two pieces of paper adhered to either side of a hard foam. It's often used by architects for presentation boards and models. It can come with both matte or posterboard style finish and I've seen it in both black and white from 1/16" of an inch all the way up to 1/2" [it may even come thicker, but I can't imagine cutting it.] It's pretty easy to cut with a metal straight edge and an exacto knife or utility knife. Could be covered with fabric, paper or contact paper. Contact paper would give you the ability to wipe it with a damp cloth as well. I recommend spray glue for attaching paper, test fabric with a small sample since it can seep through easily and make a mess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
SAG Awards: Red-Carpet Highlights
3 Ways to Wear 70s Prints
Rock This Outfit from Day to Night
Sizzle in Lingerie-Inspired Clothing Like Rihanna & Britney Spears
Pharrell Shares His Style Philosophy
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...