A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sheets never looked so...um..nice? (+ a dodgy tute, operative word being dodgy.)  (Read 1902 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uberXcore
I still listen to Good Charlotte.

ShinyPrettyDeadThings:)

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006 07:19:17 AM »

So, here's the thing:
I have very little sewing skill.
This is essentially a skirt bottom part with a few pleats, and a giant tube for the top, just bunched up and sewn in place at the front, with a halter thing.
Tres dodgy.
And yellow and blue aren't my favourite colours, but it's the only sheet mum would let me have Tongue
Well...for my first post, it aint so bad.

(it's hard to take full body shots on your own with a dodgy webcam.)

(boobs much? oh well.)

(-awfully- attractive girl there...yummo..)
Also, I'm -incredibly- lazy: I didn't even change the thread colour to match. Hence, iffy bits of black in places.
Oh well, two nights and a sheet can't yield -that- fantastic results, right?

Okay, now for the tricky-ass bit...
Hopefully I'll remember everything I did in the right order, it was pretty late at night and I was being -really- erm, creative with it...
here goes.

First, get yourself a single bedsheet. Mine was a fitted, but it would probably be easier with a flat.

Work out how long you want the skirt part to be, and measure (or just guess) that going shortways, so it's divided into two long rectangles.
Cut that.
(I will make pics for this at some point, I'm really meant to be doing art homework right now, so this is slightly rushed..)

This is a part that I -seriously- just crossed my fingers and did...
Basically, just put in small pleats around one edge (pref. the cut one, so you get the already hemmed one for the bottom) until it gets close to being the right size.
If you're any smaller than me (very good chance of that) then you'll have absolutely masses of fabric to do this with, so you'll end up with a -lot- of pleats. If you don't want that, just cut your rectangle shorter before you start.
After that, it's time to do the bodice.
I was dumb and didn't take a picture of the back, but essentially all that gathering at the front is there too, only obviously without the pinched in bit.
It sounds awful, but surprisingly it worked well.
So, right.
With the other rectangle you have, just cut it to approximately the right width for you, a bit bigger maybe, depending on if your sheet has a bit of give in it or not.
Oh, did I mention this has -no- form of doing-up?
I pretty much just squeeze into and out of it, because I hate hate hate zips. It works fine for me, but I don't see why you couldn't add a zip at the side later on if you want.
Anyway.
Sew that onto the top edge of the skirt part, making sure that the center of both is matched. (that just makes it easier to cut it evenly in a minute.)
This is really -really- a dodgy part of my process.
I basically got down to my undies, wrapped this around myself, and marked where it overlapped so I could cut it to size.
Then I took it off, cut it, sewed it, and hoped.
But I get ahead of myself.
Do that wrapping marking thing, then carefully cut it to the right width.
Sew that, so you've essentially got a huge tube.
The bodice, by the way, will be -uber- long at this point: don't freak.
Once it's in tube form, wriggle yourself into it (hopefully it will fit) and then scrunch down the top part until it's all gathered over the breastal area.
(another part I guessed)
Pin that gathered part in the center with something, and take it off again.
Sew over that a few times to keep it there.
By now, it will be starting to look like an actual dress, not just a couple of giant tubes. Hopefully.
The band bit in the middle is just a folded up leftover bit, but I guess you could use a contrasting material or whatever you wanted really.
It's sewn folded under at the front first (make sense?) then at the back.
PLEASE, PLEASE, don't be like me, use the RIGHT COLOURED THREAD for your material!!!
Now, you're very nearly done.
Make a couple of tubes with scraps or other material or etc, sew up one end and the other end of each to either side of the bodice at the front.
Easily Peasily.
Then whack it on, tie it up, adjust the gathers, and you're good to go.

Notes:
Being that bust measurements are generally quite a lot bigger than waist, you probably wondered if it would be too loose around the waist.
Answer: it is.
You can't tell so much on me, because I am pretty much the waistless wonder at the best of times, so it doesn't matter much, and also if I took it in I wouldn't be able to get it off, but adding a zip would fix that easy.
On reflection, the way I made this is probably a really really great way to make a dress for my own body, but most likely not most people's.
So, Zip=Huge improvement on my design.

i hope that all wasn't too mixed up and confusing for ya. I'm pretty tired/whacked out/etc at the mo, so it probably is.
Any questions, mail me.

Tadaaa!

Cheesy

« Last Edit: August 16, 2006 07:54:17 AM by uberXcore » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chicka Chicka Woop Woop BOOM.
felly
19th October's the B.dae

the felly to the ellly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006 07:23:37 AM »

i love it....!!!!

is it possible for a tutorial?? i really love it and i have a set of nice sheets lying there...hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeLLy BeLLy MeLLy JeLLy KeLLy TeLLy *heart* Crafty

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/felly
uberXcore
I still listen to Good Charlotte.

ShinyPrettyDeadThings:)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006 07:56:33 AM »

i love it....!!!!

is it possible for a tutorial?? i really love it and i have a set of nice sheets lying there...hehe

Thanks Smiley The tute I just put up is waaaaay iffy, so just be warned and proceed with caution Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chicka Chicka Woop Woop BOOM.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eva Longoria Pulls An Angelina Jolie Leg Pose
Dramatic Embellishments Light Up the Golden Globes
Golden Globes Red Carpet Trends
Body Type 411
Battle of the Fashion Bloggers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...