So, here's the thing:
I have very little sewing skill.
This is essentially a skirt bottom part with a few pleats, and a giant tube for the top, just bunched up and sewn in place at the front, with a halter thing.
And yellow and blue aren't my favourite colours, but it's the only sheet mum would let me have
Well...for my first post, it aint so bad.
(it's hard to take full body shots on your own with a dodgy webcam.)
(boobs much? oh well.)
(-awfully- attractive girl there...yummo..)
Also, I'm -incredibly- lazy: I didn't even change the thread colour to match. Hence, iffy bits of black in places.
Oh well, two nights and a sheet can't yield -that- fantastic results, right?
Okay, now for the tricky-ass bit...
Hopefully I'll remember everything I did in the right order, it was pretty late at night and I was being -really- erm, creative with it...
First, get yourself a single bedsheet. Mine was a fitted, but it would probably be easier with a flat.
Work out how long you want the skirt part to be, and measure (or just guess) that going shortways, so it's divided into two long rectangles.
(I will make pics for this at some point, I'm really meant to be doing art homework right now, so this is slightly rushed..)
This is a part that I -seriously- just crossed my fingers and did...
Basically, just put in small pleats around one edge (pref. the cut one, so you get the already hemmed one for the bottom) until it gets close to being the right size.
If you're any smaller than me (very good chance of that) then you'll have absolutely masses of fabric to do this with, so you'll end up with a -lot- of pleats. If you don't want that, just cut your rectangle shorter before you start.
After that, it's time to do the bodice.
I was dumb and didn't take a picture of the back, but essentially all that gathering at the front is there too, only obviously without the pinched in bit.
It sounds awful, but surprisingly it worked well.
With the other rectangle you have, just cut it to approximately the right width for you, a bit bigger maybe, depending on if your sheet has a bit of give in it or not.
Oh, did I mention this has -no- form of doing-up?
I pretty much just squeeze into and out of it, because I hate hate hate zips. It works fine for me, but I don't see why you couldn't add a zip at the side later on if you want.
Sew that onto the top edge of the skirt part, making sure that the center of both is matched. (that just makes it easier to cut it evenly in a minute.)
This is really -really- a dodgy part of my process.
I basically got down to my undies, wrapped this around myself, and marked where it overlapped so I could cut it to size.
Then I took it off, cut it, sewed it, and hoped.
But I get ahead of myself.
Do that wrapping marking thing, then carefully cut it to the right width.
Sew that, so you've essentially got a huge tube.
The bodice, by the way, will be -uber- long at this point: don't freak.
Once it's in tube form, wriggle yourself into it (hopefully it will fit) and then scrunch down the top part until it's all gathered over the breastal area.
(another part I guessed)
Pin that gathered part in the center with something, and take it off again.
Sew over that a few times to keep it there.
By now, it will be starting to look like an actual dress, not just a couple of giant tubes. Hopefully.
The band bit in the middle is just a folded up leftover bit, but I guess you could use a contrasting material or whatever you wanted really.
It's sewn folded under at the front first (make sense?) then at the back.
PLEASE, PLEASE, don't be like me, use the RIGHT COLOURED THREAD for your material!!!
Now, you're very nearly done.
Make a couple of tubes with scraps or other material or etc, sew up one end and the other end of each to either side of the bodice at the front.
Then whack it on, tie it up, adjust the gathers, and you're good to go.
Being that bust measurements are generally quite a lot bigger than waist, you probably wondered if it would be too loose around the waist.
Answer: it is.
You can't tell so much on me, because I am pretty much the waistless wonder at the best of times, so it doesn't matter much, and also if I took it in I wouldn't be able to get it off, but adding a zip would fix that easy.
On reflection, the way I made this is probably a really really great way to make a dress for my own body, but most likely not most people's.
So, Zip=Huge improvement on my design.
i hope that all wasn't too mixed up and confusing for ya. I'm pretty tired/whacked out/etc at the mo, so it probably is.
Any questions, mail me.