A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting groups in Charlotte / Concord?  (Read 7389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainesalatte
« on: August 15, 2006 08:12:08 PM »

Hey guys,

I recently moved to the Concord area from Seattle and I'm dying to meet up with other crafty folks!!!!

I paint, sew, write, draw...but mostly I make beaded jewelry.

Would love to make new friends with any kind of crafters!

I saw that there was a thread for the "Carolina Mafia" but I didn't post there...one of the other message boards I'm on REALLY frowns on reviving old threads!

The name's Kimberly by the way. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pnkcurly
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006 12:42:39 PM »

I don't know about crafting groups but I'm a crafty person! I just moved from Concord to North Charlotte so I'm back and forth all the time right now.

Wink and the name's Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Reba
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006 01:42:19 PM »

Hi from Cornelius (the northern part of Mecklenburg county, near Davidson)!  I'm Reba, I work a bit with yarn.  Still learning. Smiley  I don't know of any craft groups around here, sadly.

It's nice to see other crafty folks from the Charlotte area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittleBlueTeacup
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006 05:33:42 PM »

Hi Kimberly (and Laura, and Reba!), I'm Corrinne. I'll be moving to Charlotte in 3 weeks! I'm from England. I found a Yahoo group for Rowan-Cabarrus Craft Club. I'm not sure how far away that it but some of the people on there live in Charlotte. Everyone seems really friendly and they get together fairly often.

I always seem to have multiple crafty projects on the go. I'm (slowly) teaching myself to crochet, I sew a bit and make jewellery. I love taking photos too - I don't go anywhere without my camera  Smiley

If we can't find an existing group, we should organise something ourselves. What do you think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainesalatte
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006 06:45:17 AM »

Hey guys! That would be awesome!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolitaneko

*Dir en grey love*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006 01:09:53 PM »

The only craft related get together I know of here in Concord is the knitting/crochet thing they have at the tea house nearby once a month (downtown Concord).  but I've never been to it since I keep forgetting about it.  >_<  But yeah.. I would love to be in a crafting group if my school schedule isn't too hectic.  I crochet, sew and I'm trying to learn how to knit... but bottom line is I just love using my hands.

My name's Brittany, by the way.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainesalatte
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006 04:05:33 PM »

I know the feeling! I usually have craft time only on the weekends now that classes are in session.

Nice to meet you guys. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luv43t
Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts.....

just me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007 11:12:47 AM »

I  am  in  Concord  and  always sneaking  time here are there to  work  on  my  crafts don't  have the time like i  use to since i  started a 2nd job and  class. But i now  have the money  to  put  on  my  crafts like i  wanted well  some  what  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/luv43t
HandMaiden NY

Making Brooklyn more handicraft accessible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007 07:19:21 PM »

Sorry..I shouldn't even be posting here.  I live in NYC, but I am from Charlotte, and I just went to the North Carolina board out of curiostiy. Sort of like when I check out other cities on Craigslist out of curiosity.  Anywho, I wish I was there to join y'all, start a new group or something, could be fun... 

Best of luck, I hope y'all are able to put something together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hippiemage

peace and hugs always

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007 05:25:59 AM »

I live in charlotte and would be interested in getting together with other crafters.  i do beadwork and hemp jewelry and some other random crafts.  I am a full time student, so am trying to get started selling what i make to make some extra cash.  i have the luxury of living with my son so that helps, but i have always had a dream of having a store where crafters can sell thier stuff and meet and have fun...anyone know of any place like that around charlotte area? 
thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, Hugs and Beads!!
Tessymits
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007 06:47:28 AM »

I am so excited that I found this forum.  I live in Charlotte and I teach art in Stanly County.  I do a lot of traditional arty stuff, like painting but love to make jewelry and am really into sewing my own clothes and textile arts.  Would love to meet up with and go to craft shows, that kind of thing. 

The name is Tracey, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007 02:33:44 PM »

:O
why did this post die? it was going so well, hopefully this will make it live againnnnn!

Hi, my name is Julie. I live in West-Charlotte, I'm 15 and I'm pretty new to sewing, but I'm good at it. Cheesy Anddddddddd, I'm a photographer, or I'm working on it. I just started an obsession with interior design, and I'm remodling EVERYTHING in my room(90% recycled, btw). I'm addicted to Craftster(WAYYY better then MySpace) Tongue yeah, thats about it.

reply fellow Carolinians!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
luv43t

just me

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009 08:11:42 PM »

Hi  are  you  still  looking  for  craftsters in  Concord?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/luv43t
LadyBlacksword
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009 10:26:57 PM »

Etsy has a Street Team in the area, but they meet at a time when I can never make it.
For Pagans, there's the group I started, Carolina Pagan Artisans Coalition, but it's pretty much inactive due to no one else participating.

I don't know of any other groups in the area.

LJ in Mooresville
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ncgrl37
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009 06:05:16 AM »

Hi I am new to the boards and just saw this. I live in Concord, new to sewing and like it so far. I have an art degree and love anything art/crafts related. I work full time as a paralegal and really want to get into selling my art/crafts/sewing projects. Anyways, just saying hey and hope there are some other people from Concord that may still want to have a group. Thanks!
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009 05:25:03 AM »

i'm in Rock Hill, just 1/2 hr south of CLT.  did anything ever happen about a Charlotte meetup or group?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
ncgrl37
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009 06:26:24 AM »

I don't know. I am new to Craftster and saw the local board. I would love to find a group.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009 03:24:28 PM »

i saw one just lately they are doing in Toronto, where they are having a meetup and each bring one Tiny or maybe it was Small Item to swap.  they said it was like a swap for the lazy.  except the organizers were making a few extras in case some people came who [found out] in the last minute or didn't realize, or something.  that would be something neat to do, eventually.  also does anybody have any good ideas of where a meetup could be held?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009 04:53:04 PM by nataluna - Reason: typo/s » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
ncgrl37
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009 03:56:55 PM »

Maybe some others will respond. I hope this group will become active again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009 05:03:18 PM »

you know what would be really cool, too...
one time julieboolie helped me with something like this (when i had to disappear a whole bunch of my hoarded supplies i wouldn't use cos the mother in law was coming from south america, and i had to make space and make the house at least semi-neat for her)...
but if it were a whole group we could do like a private de-stash flea-market, everybody bring their stuff they aren't using and swap for other stuff that other ppl aren't using. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Om_Mama
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009 08:52:40 AM »

Yeah, there are various groups but they are either underground, or exclusive for a certain group of friends or something.  I have heard of the Charlotte Craft Mafia and there was a knitting circle called Chicks with Sticks.  There is a really cool event in December in the Plaza-Midwood/Central area of town called Christmas in the 'Hood and I think that some of the vendors are in the Craft Mafia. 
Anyway, it would be cool to get something going.  I am really into indie craft, embroidery, knitting, and antique furniture.  I just started knitting so a needlecraft circle would be awesome.  I have asked the local library about using the space for this in the fall.  I will post back if they open it up. 

Hopefully we can come up with something one afternoon.  I would be cool with coming to the University area or NoDa if we could figure it out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009 10:30:26 PM »

I'll be returning to the Charlotte/Fort Mill area in about a month for an indeterminate period of time, but I'd love to meet with a group at some point!  I know another person or two who would probably be interested as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009 07:59:43 AM »

great!  it seems like some interest is building again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Ffrogg526
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009 10:47:32 PM »

I'm totally up for this!  RockDragon mentioned that there was someone else that would be interested...  That would be me!  Hoorah!  I'm on summer vacation right now so I have two more trips away from the Charlotte area between now at August 16 but am definitely interesting in hanging out with other crafty people! 

One of the local libraries would be a great idea.  Is there still someone checking into that??  I live near Carolina Place but maybe we can find somewhere between the Pineville/Rock Hill/Fort Mill area and Concord that's central for everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009 06:40:49 AM »

also we might look into http://www.noda.org/

the smelly cat cafe is nice.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009 06:41:05 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009 07:40:38 AM »

I like noda Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2ndsurf
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009 08:14:53 PM »

Hi I'm in the Lincoln Co. area but I would be willing to travel and meet up once a month or so. I'm also participating in a art antique market in Huntersville on 7/11 from 9-2 at the butter bean village market on old statesville rd. It's just getting started but they're hoping to make it a monthly event through the fall. If you sell or like handmade, stop by and give us a holler! I'd love to make friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Om_Mama
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009 06:56:10 AM »

I am on ravelry and just found out that there is a knit/crotchet circle at Amelies on either Tuesdays or Wednesday nights from like 6:30 until. Amelies (for those who aren't familiar) is a great, no AWESOME, little French bakery in the NoDa (North Davidson) area of Charlotte.  It is outside of Uptown and open 24/7.  There are actually quite a few knit/crotchet groups that meet around Charlotte from what I am learning.  PM me if you are interested in more times and meet-ups. 

There is the Rainy Day Creations that does a sit and knit in Pineville.  I am sure that after the summer, some of the libraries will pick up their knit groups again.  I know Main Library and Mint Hill both have knit groups. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009 07:58:59 AM »

I am on ravelry and just found out that there is a knit/crotchet circle at Amelies on either Tuesdays or Wednesday nights from like 6:30 until. Amelies (for those who aren't familiar) is a great, no AWESOME, little French bakery in the NoDa (North Davidson) area of Charlotte.  It is outside of Uptown and open 24/7.  There are actually quite a few knit/crotchet groups that meet around Charlotte from what I am learning.  PM me if you are interested in more times and meet-ups. 

There is the Rainy Day Creations that does a sit and knit in Pineville.  I am sure that after the summer, some of the libraries will pick up their knit groups again.  I know Main Library and Mint Hill both have knit groups. 

I just joined the group on ravelry, seems like fun. And noda is easy to get to for me, just a bus ride. Or I can go with my friend's dad to work at 7 am. :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009 06:13:02 AM »

also here are other things:

http://www.meetup.com/Charlotte-Artist-Group/
http://www.meetup.com/Charlotte-International-Fleamarket-Group/

i haven't been but it looks interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Om_Mama
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009 06:44:55 PM »

Okay, so this isn't in Charlotte or Concord, but I fell in LOVE with a yarn shop today.  I am pretty faithful to Charlotte Yarn and go there for every question and shred of yarn that has been knit in the last 2 months.  BUT, I went to the Fuzzy Mabel today and am FLOORED!!! She had AWESOME prices and a HUGE selection.  If you are hankering for a road trip, or just adore really great yarn- this is a great spot.  Just take 485 to Johnston Road S and take it to the sunset.  This will turn into 521 and will literally take you straight to Fuzzy Mabel.  It is just like following the Yellow Brick Road (or perhaps the Yellow Alpaca Trail).  She has an entire clearance corner.  She mentioned that she is online too.  Good luck.  FYI- she is closed on Sunday and Monday. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockDragon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009 07:55:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check that out! 

How far down 521 S is it?  I live down that way, and I haven't seen it- so I'm guessing I pass it at some point I've never noticed. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ffrogg526

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009 09:01:06 PM »

I live down that direction too and I had no idea there was another yarn shop out that way.  I usually go to Rainy Day in Pineville or our usual generic craft stores.  I'll have to go check that out on Tuesday!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockDragon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009 06:33:47 PM »

Never mind, Google served me well Cheesy  I'll have to go down there someday Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ffrogg526

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009 07:43:27 PM »

I went down to visit Fuzzy Mabel and it is quite a wonderful store.  I almost missed it because it doesn't have a big sign to look for.  I got some fantastic yarn that I can't wait to start working with.  One of the huge skeins I got will be turning into my mom's Christmas present.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~!kenzallan!~*
is it weird that i wish he was here?

Rock Chalk baby!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009 08:53:02 PM »

i live in mooresville, so its a little bit of a drive but we have a local coffee shop (three goats-they have awesome gelato btw, and a frozen coffee thing with gelato IN it-craving one right now!) with a knit/crochet night. they dont call it a stitch n bitch, but its the same thing (idk if the store would let them advertise it with a "curse" word because a lot of moms bring their kids in the morning) and our caribou coffee, which IS a chain coffee shop, but the staff is sooooo nice and they all know us by name, is always looking for groups to start up to take up space in the evenings....if youre comfortable with it, start your own group! then you can pick your time and place--whatevers the easiest for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I hate that Ozzy got fat and stupid. Deal with it.
            -Abby (NCIS)
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010 05:49:01 PM »

sorry if this is a little out there.  but is anybody in the Charlotte/RockHill area working with fulled/felted wool sweaters and wants some supplies?
my mum has moved out of the country and left me her house full of things to sort out.  a friend's brother is helping me sell her stuff.  but this is something i know people are using but not really the sort of thing that people would know how to sell.  so i wondered if anybody wanted to come get them.  PM me if you work with that material, and we could arrange something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Backpack Look Cool
How to Make Papier-Mache
How to Make Christmas Photo Ornaments
How to Make an Earth Day Coloring Book for Kids
How to Make a Wreath Out of Old CDs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...