A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'Quilted' Blanket Questions.  (Read 705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xfoxglove
« on: August 15, 2006 08:09:38 PM »

All right, Iím not sure if this is the right place to be asking this and I hope it doesnít irritate anybody, but Iíve already gone through like 30+ pages of threads and I havenít found an answer (perhaps because Iím not sure what Iím looking forÖ).  But anywayÖ

Iím really interested in making this:

Or something similar.

Iíve never quilted before.  Iím not sure if this is even quilting at all, but this is the closest thing I can relate it to.  So Iím hoping someone could help me.

I just want to make a light blanket/throw or something.  So I was thinking I wouldnít have to use batting, per se.  Maybe some other fabric, muslin?

Iím not sure how to Ďappliqueí the pieces on?  And then how to stitch it together without the stitches transferring to the back of the blanket and having a 'stitched heart' on the back in thread.

Yeah, sorry for so many questions.  Itís just I donít know anybody that I can ask and I figured you guys might have some suggestions.  Everyone here on craftster seems really helpful.  If this is in the wrong spot or if I'm just being completely oblivious, please delete.

Thanks in advance.

(& Iím praying that picture shows up.  If not, hereís the link: http://tinypic.com/a27xnn.jpg )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 08:13:16 PM »

ok, so you would need to make it in two pieces, a top with your applique and a backing. It would probably be best/easiest to use batting in the middle. So you take a large piece of fabric and applique your pieces on and get it how you like it. Then get a backing piece, put the batting on top, then put your top on and quilt. Then bind the edges to remove all the raw edges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
xfoxglove
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 08:16:24 PM »

Thanks so much for the fast reply.  I guess I'm just worried about if... 

Well if I worked on the front and then put the batting in and then the back and I only 'attached' the edges, would it stay as one layer, or would it get all... pulled apart in the middle?  Or is that something that doesn't even matter. Would the batting make the layers all 'stick'?

I don't know if I'm making a whole lot of sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 08:34:34 PM »

you would have to do some kind of quilting to attach all the layers together otherwise the batting would all shift around and look crazy.

Are you a fan of fleece? You could get a big piece of fleece for the background and then other colors to make your applique and sew it on, then get a backing piece and you can cut the edges and tie (fleece doesn't fray) or you can sew  the edges together and maybe pink the edges or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
xfoxglove
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006 08:45:22 PM »

I guess I could try something with fleece.

I just have a lot of fabric in my basement from when my mom used to sew, so I wasn't planning on buying anything for a first try.  But I might have some fleece laying around.

I'm thinking that if I put everything together (sew the front the way I'd like it with the batting attached and then put the back piece on) and do the edges and then sew along the outer edge and then maybe the middle square that would keep it more as one 'layer'. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
d2vge
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006 04:51:25 AM »

If you don't want to actually quilt it, you could just leave out the batting altogether, use a fairly heavy backing, and tie the quilt. You'd still have a bit of thread showing on the back, but if you used a matching colour it wouldn't show too much.
It wouldn't look exactly like the example, though.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006 07:01:35 AM »

The original piece is quilted. If you don't want the stitches to show as much, use invisible thread and a patterned fabric for the backing. While not completely disappearing, the stitches will be difficult to see.

for appliqueing I'd machine stitch, using fusible web in the manner of a "stained glass" quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xfoxglove
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006 12:52:04 PM »

Thanks for all the help.

I did a search on stained glass quilts and I think I'll attempt it that way.

Thanks again.

(& cmoore, your self-portrait quilt is beautiful.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Difference Between Setting the Stage and Telling a Story
How to Use a 50 mm Lens
How to Understand color Theory
How to Develop a Rapport with the Subject
How to Understand Different Camera Variations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...