A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What step comes after the "quilt top"?  (Read 409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jershyLA
« on: August 16, 2006 01:44:21 PM »

Okay so i have finshed my "quilt top"... now what. i know i insert badthing and then the bottom. once i "quilt" it together do i resew over my design so it can be seen on the other side or was i sewpose to sew all three peices together during asembely to achieve the design on the back or is there even a desine on the back. i have tried just sewing around the edges for a previous try and i was told it was a blanket eventhough i had the three layers, so what make s a quilt a quilt and how do i finishe this so it will be seen as a quilt and not a blanket. it is 9 squares pieced togther. thanks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006 01:04:23 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
athena394
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006 04:52:59 PM »

I think what whoever told you that meant, was that there should be stitching through all three layers. Thats the actual quilting part.

To continue from a quilt top (Thats what I'm doing right now!), you need a back and batting, both a couple inches bigger each way than the top. Then you pin the back down to a carpet or something similar (right side down) lay the batting down, and then center the quilt top (right side up) on top of it.
Then you have to take about 1million saftey pins and secure all three layers to make sure they stay together and don't wrinkle when you sew. Usually you should start in the middle and work your way to the outside.

Once you have everything pinned, you can start the actual "quilting", that is, sewing whatever design you want through all the layers.

Once you're done with that, you just put on a binding and you're done.

Thats what I was taught in my quilt class at college, but I'm still a beginner, so you may want to wait for more advanced members to give you feedback Smiley

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006 01:02:29 PM »

yeah, "quilting" is the actual sewing together of the layers. there are several ways to do it. you can basically trace your blocks ("stitch in the ditch" ie stitch where the top seams come together) or stitch within your blocks in some design or a combination. if you're a beginner i'd suggest stitch in the ditch to get the hang of it. i like basting my layers together by hand so they move a little more freely when i'm quilting than with pins. you also want to start in the middle and work your way out to avoid bunching. i'd suggest a quilting book for the details....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Batman Mask
How to Make a 1920s Lady Mask
How to Make a Dog Mask
How to Make a Cat Mask
How to Make a Fox Mask
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...