A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: japanese cloth doll craftalong??  (Read 2999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grapefruiit
« on: August 15, 2006 08:03:47 PM »

does anyone want to make this japanese cloth doll with me??

http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/kimono/

i've never tried it before and it looks really interesting =]

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006 10:34:44 PM by grapefruiit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grapefruiit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 03:37:30 AM »

yay finally a reply! and well... it *does* look a bit challenging, but it says on the site that it's not that hard, you just need patience..  and i guess if you know how to sew, it wont be too bad =]
wanna try?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 12:52:40 PM »

Holy moly! That's cool.  And I love all things kimono and Asian and such.  I think I'll do this craft-along.  Is there any sort of time limit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006 12:58:01 PM »

I'd be up for trying that, but I couldn't start until after the Labor Day weekend. When are you starting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 12:59:45 PM »

You know what...it's absolutely gorgeous, except at the moment I don't think I'll be able to work on it.  I'm going to see if I can use materials I have lying around or if I can get some of the fabrics required cause honestly I don't know if I can find jersey in skin color and lord knows I have no clue what the hell cotton lawn is Huh Huh Huh.  Wire I know I can get from my sister the jewlery designers so that's not a problem Roll Eyes.  But I'm definitely keeping an eye here. Wink 

EDIT:  If anyone knows any fabric substitutions lemme know.  I suck at fabric names.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006 01:05:23 PM by BrightEyes_PR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
princesakati
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006 05:43:02 PM »

I think cotton lawn is just fine cotton fabric, like handkerchiefs are made out of. 

I would love to participate in this craftalong, but with grad school and all, I don't think I can take on such a long-term project....  maybe we can do it again after i graduate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
Digsy LaRaspberry

Voracious eater of music

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006 07:33:17 PM »

Aw man...
that is too freakin' cool!
I'd love to do it. I really, really would. But I have to pack - I'm moving into Residence on the 4th - and then I have a kimono to make. Kimonos honestly take me only a couple of days, but it's a lot of sewing and I'd need another couple of days to recuperate.
So really, I'd only get the chance to start a week after Labour Day, maybe. If and when I do start on it, d'ya think that pale pink felt would be an okay substitue for the jersey? I know it's thicker and, well, fuzzy; but I don't exactly have the cash to go out and buy fabric that I use something else for.
Jeez, the delayed gratification is gonna kill me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006 12:18:04 AM »

Aw man...
that is too freakin' cool!
I'd love to do it. I really, really would. But I have to pack - I'm moving into Residence on the 4th - and then I have a kimono to make. Kimonos honestly take me only a couple of days, but it's a lot of sewing and I'd need another couple of days to recuperate.
So really, I'd only get the chance to start a week after Labour Day, maybe. If and when I do start on it, d'ya think that pale pink felt would be an okay substitue for the jersey? I know it's thicker and, well, fuzzy; but I don't exactly have the cash to go out and buy fabric that I use something else for.
Jeez, the delayed gratification is gonna kill me!

You need a stretch fabric for the skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
jofre146
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006 10:21:52 AM »

Hey - count me in! I'd love to try one of these! I've recently been collecting pieces of chirimen which is the Japanese crepe fabric used for making the kimono for these dolls...annnnnd I've found a source for books on this technique - the books are pricey in shipping since they come from Japan, but look so intrguing...
If you need some scraps of chirimen let me know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grapefruiit
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006 03:15:07 AM »

wow awesome.. i love you guys! (i was getting kinda scared at the thought of having to attempt this on my own)
i'll be starting mine after my exams.. so it wont be until mid-late september. i'm actually doing this for my textiles major work. the theme is "textile art".. i think this fits under it. (does it?)
as for the fabric, i've actually seen skin coloured jersey around.. anyone here from australia/nz? i've seen it in the bigger spotlights and in *some* lincrafts... i think that white jersey would be an okay substitute, though, because geishas paint their faces white anyway.
heehee i'm getting excited. good luck everyone~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Infrared Photography: How to Choose Filters
Photography Tips for Shooting a First Birthday Celebration
White Balance Photography and Post Production Tips
DSLR Cameras: Using the Live View Function
Taking Flattering Maternity Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...