A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ask Jenny - Everything You've Wanted to Know (But Were Afraid to Ask)  (Read 61903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2007 06:58:22 AM »

Hey Elana,

They purchased a portrait I did several years ago of Syd Barrett.

That was easy.

Next!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
BeatnikChick
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2007 02:10:56 PM »

Hey there again!  I was looking at your collages and they were totally reminding me of the Rasputina album covers http://www.google.com/musica?aid=lpc702WP3xB&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result and such, have you ever worked with them?  Or were you inspired by those works?  What possessed you to create them?  I'm really curious...
---DJ
Oh and by the way, it was really nice to meet you at the Renegade Chicago Craft Fair, I finally found my brother, and it was cool to show off the little handkerchief that I carry with me with the rockabilly revolvers on it, too!  =)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007 08:26:11 PM by BeatnikChick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2007 07:40:58 AM »

Oh hey BeatnikChick, it was really nice to meet you too! Thanks so much for coming by and saying hi!
I was looking at your collages and they were totally reminding me of the Rasputina album covers http://www.google.com/musica?aid=lpc702WP3xB&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result and such, have you ever worked with them?  Or were you inspired by those works?  What possessed you to create them?  I'm really curious...

(Here's a link to the collages BC is asking about.) Actually, I started working in collage around 1987 (Rasputina formed in 1992) and it's kind of a long story. I had a wonderful art teacher when I was in 8th grade name Sarajane Boyd. She really turned me on to other media and got me experimenting. I started making collages when I was around 15, mainly working with family photos. I had my first solo gallery show when I was 17 and started getting a lot of attention for the work I was doing. I was interviewed for NPR and had my first catalog listing in Art In America by the age of 21, dropped out of art school, and continued exhibited collages in galleries for many years, up until 2001 when I had my first solo show of my embroideries. I worked in collage for so many years I wanted to move on to something else.

I've never worked with Rasputina although, Melora did write me several years ago when I started working in embroidery! She showed my some of her work and I loved it. Ta daa!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Early Bird Special

Formerly "sewwabisabi"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2007 07:49:41 AM »

Hi Jenny!  Another question from me! 

I was wondering, do you stitch up each and every one of your designs, and what do you end up doing with the completed projects?

xoxo
Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2007 11:12:47 AM »

If by 'each and every' you mean, I make an embroidered version of every single pattern, no. There's are lots of the patterns I've never stitched up (but would really like to!) But if you mean 'each and every' example you see on the site, in my books, etc, yes.

Recently I have started working with a helper stitcher. Her name is Michelle and she stitches up the odd example for me. I usually supply her with the floss colors, and pick out which color goes where etc. However, I'm terrible about stitching up examples on scrap fabric instead of always making the example a full project that I can show off. So, most of the scans you see on the site are just on a scrap piece of fabric and they are all collected and stored, along with projects stitched from the books, here at Sublime Stitching World Headquarters.

I've often thought about doing a full stitched version of each pattern sheet, because so many people ask for color/stitch guides, but I don't know when I would have the time! What do you all think about that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Early Bird Special

Formerly "sewwabisabi"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2007 11:40:24 AM »

Thanks for the response Jenny!  I was curious about both accounts, if you did the examples shown on the sight and in the book, or if you had stitched all of them.  Wink

I think a full stitched version of each pattern would be pretty awesome, but also pretty ambitious!  I understand people wanting color/stitch guides, but I think that's one of the awesome things about this forum board.  Seeing other people's interpretations.  But at the same time, I can see the benefit of having a full stitched pattern guide, for those who might really love a particular design, but don't know what to do with it until they see it stitched.

Sorry, I know this is a comment, and against the rules of this thread, so delete if you must.  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2007 01:01:18 PM »

Since you posed the question do we get to post more responses?
I've often thought about doing a full stitched version of each pattern sheet, because so many people ask for color/stitch guides, but I don't know when I would have the time! What do you all think about that?

I don't think you need to do that, but it sure would be helpful to many people.  I always get stuck contemplating what colors to use on each pattern and I like to have something as a guide. It would be fun if you could borrow people's Craftster images and make an easier-to-browse gallery on your Sublime Stitching site. Then you wouldn't have to do all that stitching.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2007 06:54:21 AM »

We're actually working on the customer gallery right now. It's down for maintenance. But this is helpful! Thanks for the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2007 09:01:21 AM »

Hey! Congrats on your book! And yes, I generally ask that only one or a limited few questions be posted at a time. But, this is a good example of what kinds of questions I'll provide answers for, which ones I won't (and why).

The short answer to all of your questions is: through hard work. There's just no getting around that.

First of all, I never fault anyone for asking. You gotta ask! I have asked so many people millions of questions over and over again. But if I choose not to answer a question, I ask that it be respected and understood. My company is the result of years of ongoing research, sourcing, relationship building and hard, hard work putting many different pieces together so that they fit in a way I envisioned. So, when someone sees this neat package called "Sublime Stitching" all put together, that hard work looks like it was easy and like it just 'came together'. But, oh I'd love to bore you with the details of every single little thing about this company that was built from scratch.

I devote a lot of time and energy into educating people about everything else: copyright, business how-to, oh yeah-..how to embroider...I feel I make many many resources available and pretty okay sitting on info I've spent years researching and acquiring to create my business and make it unique. You will have to do the same. The info is out there!

How did you start getting the word out about your patterns? Did you go to your local stores and pitch your product?

Telling people, carrying promo cards on me, swapping links, doing promo swaps with other businesses, sending samples to magazine editors, asking to chat with the buyer or manager of a store any time I found myself in a shop where I thought my stuff would do well, having samples on me to give at all times...That's it! I was enthusiastic about what I was doing, and enthusiasm (genuine enthusiasm, not 'salesmanship') is contagious.

4.How do you go about finding "sources" for wholesale products - like envelopes, paper, ...? I've been surfing, but so far haven't found my wave yet.  Undecided I guess I'm just looking for some good old "how did you do it?" advice.

Honestly? I did it by working tirelessly for years. And I still do! It requires hours and hours and hours (and more hours) maybe years even, of phone calls, emails, research, getting samples, testing product etc. There are of course people who have experience manufacturing and know exactly where to go for certain things- but I'm not one of those people. And the things that I wanted for my company aren't the usual offerings that can be found just anywhere. But, sources for something like bulk paper is really easy. That sounds a wee bit like not doing much legwork...

As for your questions about writing instructions- I simply don't have an answer. I don't know where those would be available, and yes- writing instructions in a new and unique way is a big challenge.

The last thing I want to do is sound discouraging. I just want to give realistic advice. Start looking for your paper supplier, learn from it (I did) and go from there. You can certainly choose to work with a company who handles all of your manufacturing, but you will have little, if any control over what your product looks like. That's why I do all my own (with exception to my books with Chronicle), so that I can ensure my product looks and behaves exactly the way I want it to.

Sorry- I got a little carried away with this reply. There truly is no other answer than to say it's all from hard work. Elbow grease. Legwork. Curiosity. Late nights. Dead Ends. Mistakes. And asking people like me for help.

I do wish you the very best, and tell us when your book is out!

About to post a question? Have you read Jenny's Gentle Guidelines first?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 07:14:13 AM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

mintlatte
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2007 07:39:18 AM »

OK, I know you sell cool ways of tracing your designs onto black fabric, BUT have you by any chance done any research on making a direct stamp method for dark fabrics??? I think embroidery on dark fabrics pops like nothing else, and I have designed my own way of getting the designs onto dark fabrics, but you can bet if there were a simple method where I could just iron it on I would be thrilled.  I have a bit of experience in the printing industry, and I know that the iron on transfers really can't work that way, but wonder if something else would, maybe a steam set of some type....Anyway I guess what I am asking is do we have any hope? Is it a topic on the mind of the guru of patterns??? I always feel a bit mean when I trace a pattern instead of using it.... After all, the more I buy the more you design right??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Summer Hairstyles
How to Apply Volumizing Hair Powder
How To Get A Segmented High Ponytail
How To Tease Your Hair Properly
9 Lies About Your Hair You Probably Believe
Latest Blog Articles
Love Your Mother
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Button Flowers
Meatless Monday: Grilled Apples and Minted Pears

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...