A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ask Jenny - Everything You've Wanted to Know (But Were Afraid to Ask)  (Read 58438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2007 07:53:48 AM »

Oh and how many threads do you use?  THANKS!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big project Stitchalong 2009 - Ongoing
Tea Towel Tour 5 - In Progress
UpKnitCreek
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2007 06:31:50 AM »

I just got your book and I wanted to say it is absolutely freaking awesome! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeatnikChick
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2007 12:15:13 PM »

I was wondering when Sublime Stitching will come back with something more edgy again... I love all of your designs... but I was slightly disappointed with the Sublime Stitching book... It did remind me of my grandmother's stitching!!!  =)  I like the tattoo looks and the contemporary designs... Don't get me wrong... I love your work Jenny!  I'm really dying for something like Zombies or horror movies... =)  I keep looking for simple line designs, however, I don't draw... so I can't do it myself... and I'm having a hard time locating things that are odd enough and fun enough and easy enough to work on or modify... *drat*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 12:17:46 PM by BeatnikChick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2007 07:05:51 PM »

Hey Ladies! Please no stacking of questions- keeps me sane. Smiley Forgive me, but I'm going to kinda answer this quickly:

One simple question. Can you embroider on socks or are they just too damn stretchy it would never work? Oh and how many threads do you use?  THANKS!   Grin

You can totally stitch on them! Depending on the weight and the weave, I'm going to guess you're asking about standard socks (not woolen knitted ones). Yes, I think it will be a challenge, and I've never done it myself, but there's no reason why you can't! Give it a try, and tell us how it goes! Oh, and I usually stitch with the whole six strands, depending on the fabric. That, or four.

And now for two completely differing opinions:

I just got your book and I wanted to say it is absolutely freaking awesome! Thanks!

Yay! I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Have fun!

I was wondering when Sublime Stitching will come back with something more edgy again... I love all of your designs... but I was slightly disappointed with the Sublime Stitching book...

Well, believe it or not....I completely agree with you. First of all, let me say I am extremely proud to be one of Chronicle Books' authors. I couldn't ask for a cooler publisher to work with.  The patterns I reserved for the book were themes people had long been asking for: fruits/veggies, pastries, birds, flowers, baby stuff, and especially, patterns for children. The super-simple cars/trucks etc. are meant to go either on children's clothing, or for getting children started in embroidery. That said, everything you don't like about the book (those too-tame patterns you say? wish you could see the stitching up close and in detail?) I don't really like that either. Although, I'm pretty darn proud of my Rhumba Lady and Prancy Mama Cat and Kitten. But, when you work with a publisher, you don't have 100% control over the project (and, I'm very grateful that they do the work they do to make their books look so gorgeous). They get to decide in part what goes in and what doesn't. I said 'more tattoos!' they said 'more flowers'. With my company, I can gloriously do anything my little heart (and yours) desires. And, the feedback on patterns in the latest book vs. patterns on my website has been much like yours. What I need for you to do, is tell Chronicle. Or better yet, email your thoughts to suggestions@sublimestitching.com, with "about the book" in the subject line. I can collect them that way, and share them with Chronicle (I really will) to give me more leeway in making this case on our next project. Because hey- I agree with you. Does the world really need more birds and floral embroidery patterns? Do I have to answer that?

Thank you for this post with your honest feedback on the book. I really, extra appreciate it.

ETA Thanks to those of you who've written to me saying "I LOVE the flowers and pastries!". What can I say? I'm trying to please you all at once. Cheesy

REMEMBER!
Please post questions one at a time and allow me to answer a question before posting yours. This is to avoid a pileup, and maintain my sanity. Stacked questions will be skipped, but you can repost them at the next chance. Also, if you've already posted, please sit out turn so another poster can jump in (but you can post numerous times). ALSO please refrain from posting your kind follow-ups to say 'Thank you for answering my question!' (PM me instead, although I can't reply to all PM's). This is not to be a meanie (and I really appreciate the sentiments, I do!), it's to keep the thread neat, but mainly so the homepage shows I've answered a question and others can see the thread is now open to a new question. Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007 12:28:00 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2007 07:02:26 AM »

Hi Jenny, I love your work!  (I also agree! More tattoos! Smiley but many of the designs in your book do allow for great hand made things for people who don't rock as much as we do!) Smiley

I wondered, how do you transfer patterns to your fabric?  I know you had a similar question before, but didn't say what method you use.

Keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007 06:46:49 PM »

Hey Tangerine! I use the same carbon transfer paper that I sell. It's graphite based (instead of the blue chalky stuff you find at craft stores). So, my composition is on tracing paper, and then I use the carbon paper layered in-between the fabric and my tracing paper. That's it! Did that answer your question?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007 04:07:44 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2007 11:22:54 PM »

Jenny - I was on another craft site where one of the posters said that she was told by a needle craft store that 2 yrs ago the government required floss manufacturers to remove the dye setting agent from their floss. According to this poster, this is now causing alot of bleeding in embroidery work. I admit I have been out of the loop when it comes to embroidery as I just recently picked it back up after a twenty year break, but do you know if there is any truth to this? Is color bleeding really a concern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2007 07:12:09 AM »

Hm. I am unaware of this, and I'm really skeptical, because that would be a major, major problem that the manufacturer's would seek to avoid. I have not experienced bleeding of any kind with my own embroidery, *except* for when I used some really old flosses from my grandmother's collection. Pinks and reds tend to be the main culprits. If you are worried about bleeding, you can do a couple of things:

Take a cotton ball, dampen it and blot the floss. See if any color comes off on it.
Take a cutting of floss, and leave it in a glass of water overnight.

There is a new brand of embroidery floss out there, that I endorse and put in all of my kits. It is superior for anti-bleeding/fading of color. You can put their floss in a solution of water and bleach overnight...and it doesn't even fade. You can't really find it in stores, but soon you'll be able to buy 10-color packs of it from Sublime Stitching. You can also order it directly from their website- it isn't the prettiest site, but here's the link: Presencia Embroidery Floss.

I hope that helps- generally speaking, colors shouldn't bleed, but test just to be sure. And, if you come across some hard info about requirements to remove this dye setting agent (not just forum-chat) please let us know! I'll be at TNNA, a trade show, at the end of this month and will ask folks there. Hrmmm...Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

swampwitch
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2007 01:32:57 PM »

Jenny - What are your favorite DMC floss colors/numbers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2007 09:55:58 AM »

Ooh gosh- I'm sorry to take so long to reply, and also because my answer is that I really don't have any. Whenever I'm confronted with bins of floss, I just pick out the colors that strike my eye in the most appealing way. I tend to like soft colors like pale pinks, greys, purplish-grays and deep hot pink. I almost never keep track of my numbers. It's true! It's true. I admit it. I'm simply not one of those embroiderers who very carefully organizes floss and records the numbers. This is a very good thing to do though, because it's nearly impossible to match floss colors by eye (or memory). On certain project where i know I'll need more than I have on hand, I do track those numbers. Or, I just take my project with me to the shop when I need to get more floss and match it by eye.

I know, I know! I'm bad. I also have more floss on my hands than I will use in my lifetime. Many of them are quite old, and colors I can no longer find. But, I've also discovered that some of these older flosses run (as mentioned in the previous post).

FYI: I will be off the boards from May 30 - June 6 because I'm hitting the road and heading for TNNA! This is a trade show for The National Needlearts Association and open only to registered retailers. But! I will be appearing at Wholly Craft! on Friday for those of you in Columbus, OH. Check with the store...TBD as of this posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch This Instead Predators
How to Export Your Project in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Create a Custom Sequence in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Capture Footage in Premiere Pro CS5
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...