A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ask Jenny - Everything You've Wanted to Know (But Were Afraid to Ask)  (Read 62686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2006 09:58:15 AM »

Jenny --

I've seen interviews and heard you speak about how you think that the distinction between art and craft is important, because there is value to both.  I agree with you!

My question is, how do you know if a particular piece of work is art or craft?  I'm not looking for a bright line, but for a way to know.  Clearly, if I buy a transfer, put it on fabric, and stitch it, it's craft.  Equally clearly, if you translate a portrait to fabric and stitch it, it's art.

But what about when I draw weird little swirls of a piece of fabric and stitch them for practice, and end up loving the result so much that I frame it and hang it in my livingroom?  What about when I carefully plan out an arrangement of circles on a different piece of fabric, stitch them, but don't like them?  What about when I doodle straight lines in various stitches just to try them out, but neither like nor dislike the result? (all real examples of things I've done)

I think that I am artistic, I just don't know if anything I do is art.  And having no formal training, this isn't something I've thought a lot about or discussed much, so I'm just wondering -- how do you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
california-peg
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2006 04:48:54 PM »

Hi Jenny,  No question, just a comment...you've inspired me to add even more embroidery into my mixed media art.  I'd been sneaking in a couched line here and there, a bit of yarn, some thick crochet thread, but after seeing your work, I'm going to give a complete project in embroidery a go.  Your art is fabulous and your patterns are fun!

Got a Q Snap frame and am on my way.  Couldn't figure out how to work an embroidered piece without being able to see the whole thing as I worked on it (I'm not very good at planning out work...prefer to work somewhat intuitively) and the Q Snap solved that problem. If you talk to the guy who makes it, please tell him that if he had better packaging, more instructions on how to use it, maybe some color rather than just black printing, just more excitement, that he could sell a lot more.  I found the frame in a quilting store and they were just sort of tossed in the corner of a shelf looking pretty forlorn.

Thanks for being an inspiration...hope your shows sell out and you become a rich lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my crafts at www.peggradyart.etsy.com and
see my paintings at www.peggradyart.com
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2006 04:43:34 PM »

Hey! Thank you so much! I'm not ignoring the previous question, it's just such a big'un for me to contemplate. And, I leave tomorrow for the Sublime Stitching Book Tour and don't have time to answer with my fullest, thoughtful and lofty ideas. So, I will respond after I get back, which means this thread will be quiet for a while. But I have an idea- why don't you start a thread to discuss this topic ("Is it art? Is it craft?") while I'm gone? I'm just as interested in your ideas about it, and I'm sure we all have thoughts on that. I'll share mine too....

See you back here when I return!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006 01:02:05 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2006 06:04:03 PM »

Is ok to ask another question since you're skipping that one for now?

Who is your biggest fan?  I know my twin sister is my biggest fan and the first person I show my newest creations to because of her awesome praise.  Who in your life does that for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2006 05:57:36 PM »

Hey good people! Sorry I've been off the boards for a while...I'm back now! I'll try to keep up with the questions, but things are getting really busy at Sublime Stitching what with the holidays coming up and people making gifts...but I can take a break to chat for a bit. Let's see..

Who's my biggest fan? Oh gee... it's strange to think of having fans. My patterns have fans more than I do. Yeah, that's it. These designs have hoards of loyal fans. There are some fans who write in regularly, who mail sweet little cards, pictures of their projects...some names have become familiar to me. I know a lot of those names, but it becomes harder and harder for me to track them, because I can't answer all the emails, orders and letters that come in. I really want to keep in touch with that as much as I can. A woman came to one of my book signings recently, and as soon as I heard her name, I knew she had been a regular customer for a long time. That was a real thrill for me. She's on here, and I'm a dope who's forgotten who it was....

I've been really touched when people come to markets to see me and are genuinely excited about Sublime Stitching, they share their stories...some of you goofballs jump up and down clapping your hands. Some ask for hugs, some have even cried on me. Which is fine.  You all feel like the biggest fans in those moments...and you are! Sniffle!

But there is one person in particular who I would have to say is my biggest fan. This person has offered me more support and guidance than any other individual. I think they'd find it funny if tomorrow I said "Hey, I just realized, you're my biggest fan!" In fact, I'll tell them and see if they agree. They know who they are, and I thank them every day. When some of the changes at Sublime Stitching take effect, you'll want to thank this person too.

REMEMBER!
Please post questions one at a time and allow me to answer a question before posting yours. This is to avoid a pileup, and maintain my sanity. Stacked questions will be skipped, but you can repost them at the next chance. Also, if you've already posted, please sit out a turn so another poster can jump in (but you can post numerous times). Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

raveneyeannie
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2006 06:42:08 PM »

Ooohhhhh!  Is it time for another question?  I'll make it short and sweet:

Sometimes I want to reduce your patterns on a copier to use.  "Lucky Lady", for instance, is too big for my pillowcase hem.  Have you had any luck using any kind of solvent and a photo copy to transfer on to fabric?  I've tried fingernail polish remover and rubbing alcohol, but with limited success.  Any suggestions?  Sometimes, I just get in a hurry and want to start stitching ASAP! Forget the tracing paper!

I also want to tell you that I have been embroidering things since it was cool to do it to your jeans in the early '70's.  I never could make a french knot until I read and followed your very clear, very concise instructions!  Now I am Ms. Thang with the french knots!
ThankyouThankyouThankyou!!!  Keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarahland
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2006 07:22:06 PM »

Hi Jenny!

That was me at the Boston signing who you recognized by name.  Trust me that was a thrill for me too!  I was totally impressed given the sheer number of people you must come into contact with. 

I had a great time at the signing and am excited about all the things you'v got cookin' for the future!

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2006 03:08:37 PM »

Ah! Sarah, it was you. I recognized your name the instant I heard it. Boston was my favorite stop on the tour (but don't tell the others...)

Okay Miss Thang with the French knots! I'm so glad to hear someone got it right  from the instructions. Learning from a book isn't always the easiest thing...But you've been trying since the 70's? And my instructions revealed the mystery? I feel a sense of accomplishment for that. Thank you. I'll enjoy that for a moment: Ahhh. (brushing off laurels and getting back up to work..)

As for alternatives to transferring...I wouldn't suggest using a solvent on fabrics- it will destroy the fibers. I haven't noodled much with what is available as transfer papers that you can print out from your computer, but I know there is a great resource of information and supplies here: Dharma Trading Company. I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

paper rose
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2006 04:40:23 PM »

Hi! I've admired your work since I first saw an illustration you did for BUST in...2001? I also blame you for my addiction to embroidery (thanks!). You also seem to rock as a businesswoman. My question, as someone just starting out on her own crafty venture (hand-enameled jewelry), is: if you had to give one piece of advice to someone starting a crafty business, what would it be?

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006 08:28:11 PM »

Yes! Why, thank you- you are talking about this piece that I did for BUST magazine in early 2002.
Ulgh! This is always such a hard question to answer. I have some natural tendencies toward business stuff, it's turned out. Imagine that! I never really had before I tried it. To me, a lot of it really just seems like common sense mixed in with available resources of information. 

If there's one piece of advice its this: learn to discern between helpful, constructive criticism and naysayers who discourage your dreams because they've abandoned their own (I read that last part somewhere recently..it's good, innit?). One will help polish your business, the other will corrode it.

Sorry I've been neglecting the boards a little bit! When the weather starts turning colder like this, I want to hibernate...

REMEMBER!
Please post questions one at a time and allow me to answer a question before posting yours. This is to avoid a pileup, and maintain my sanity. Stacked questions will be skipped, but you can repost them at the next chance. Also, if you've already posted, please sit out a turn so another poster can jump in (but you can post numerous times). Thank you!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006 08:33:02 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip
And the sun is still here...
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...