A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitters...  (Read 8754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nancmich
« on: August 15, 2006 05:23:37 PM »

Are there any knifty knitters out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

It's a craft to the death...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 05:31:32 PM »

Heck yes! I love my Knifty Knitters. I have the circular 4-pack, and then the purple rectangular one. That on is great for super quick scarves!

One thing that bums me out is when people pick on Knift knitting, saying it isn't "real" knitting. I can knit with needles, and I can crochet, but I STILL love to use the Knifty Knitter- it's fun and fast and yeilds great results!

Does anyone have pictures of Knifty knitted items they can post? I would love to see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 05:35:13 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51877.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Nancmich
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006 09:30:40 AM »

I too love to use my looms for knitting.  I can do it with needles too but it's just much faster with the loom (aka knifty knitter).  I just want to learn to make more on it though than just hats and scarves.  I saw a cute purse someone made on here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78965.0
I'd like to try it but don't have the rectangle loom and only know how to knit on the round ones.  Might have to give it a try though b/c it's awfully cute!  I wonder if I can just knit like I do on the round one on the rectangle one?
Nancy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006 10:56:58 AM »

My husband is also a triple threat- knits, crochets, knifty knits. I love it when he makes stuff for me. My daughter's favorite ponchette he made with the knifty knitter and no one believes her when she tells them her dad made it as he does not look the crafty type at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nancmich
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006 05:02:04 PM »

Gosh I was hoping we'd hear from a lot more knifty knitters...I'd love some ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006 09:41:14 PM »

Well, here's another knifty knitter. In addition to the link I posted on that Craftster thread the_wallaby gave, I've posted a couple of very simple KK projects on my blog: Homespun Scarf and How NOT to Make a Hogwarts Scarf. In addition to the scarves and the obligatory hats, I've made quite a few dishcloths; that's actually good to practice flat panels with because they're small and if you mess up, who cares, it's only a dishcloth.

As for other ideas, you could make multiple small panels and stitch together for a baby blanket or afghan; you could use the smallest loom to make a brimless hat shape and thread a cord or ribbon through it near the non-drawn together end so that you have a drawstring bag; you could possibly alter that drawstring bag idea to make a bun cover for your hair (you'd probably want to skip some pegs for this and experiment to find an acceptable yarn); you could probably make a small tube of knitting and run a drawstring through for a doll skirt; or you could make up some large flat panels and join together to make a ruana. I've not tried any of these ideas yet; I'm disinclined to handle yarn in the hot, sticky summertime.

Thanks for posting the link to that purse; I saw it back when it was first posted, but I'd forgotten about it. People could do other styles of bag too, if you just made a flat panel, folded it up, and stitched the sides shut as in that one. I've also seen a Jayne hat made on the KK and I think some fingerless gloves or armwarmers and a few other things.

Rockfullofawesome, tell those people that KK is too real knitting! Besides which, it came before needle knitting; there a post or two about it on that thread the_wallaby linked to.

My question to anyone who's bought the purple KK loom would be if it's that much different from making flat panels on the round loom. I could have gotten one very cheaply recently (40% off US$3-something; I think they'd been mismarked), and I thought, "eh, I can make flat panels on my round looms" and left them there. But maybe the rectangular loom is better?

And to anyone who might want to try out the KK technique before buying KK or another loom AND who happens to have some polymer clay and a few nails lying around, Lion Brand has a How to Make a Spool Knitter article in their crafts section. (The link may not work if you haven't signed up with them; they started requiring registration to access the patterns, but it is free.) This is just a polymer clay version of the old wooden spool knitting nancies, knitting dollies, French knitters or whatever you wanted to call them. Someone once posted on Craftster that she'd seen an old Sunset magazine that told how to make a big version from nails and a food service size can lined with corrugated cardboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
mavans
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006 07:29:58 PM »

Oh I love my knifty knit looms. i have the round set, and I want the new long set for Christmas.

But I can't knit or crochet...

Mom got me the supplies to learn, but I haven't yet.

I also have the knit wit. And I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martha
techni_moments
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Chronic Craftubater =)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006 07:34:32 PM »

I make socks on mine. I love it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We pencil-sketch our previous life so we can contrast it to the technicolor of the moment"
ceemonster
Eccletic Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006 05:35:04 AM »

I'm a knifty knitter! I'm working on a purse, a baby blanket and a Harry Potter Ravenclaw scarf right now on various looms. Smiley I love the KKs for hats and scarfs - so easy and so fast - but I really do use them for most projects because I have Fibromyalgia and have found them to be much more forgiving on my body with the repetitive motion than traditional needle knitting. The round loom set, the long loom set and a couple of tools and pamphlets live at the foot of my bed. Smiley My only complaint is that I like a tight knit on my projects and the guage isn't small enough so I usually end up using twice the yarn for a project because I have to double the yarn.

I did this hat on the round red loom a while back. I like to think I've improved since then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cate

http://pinterest.com/ceemonster/
Private Swap Friendly
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Select Stitch Length in Sewing Projects
Crochet for Beginners: Slip Stitch
What Is Crochet
Crochet for Beginners: Turning
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...