A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,193
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spindles  (Read 643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dew
« on: August 15, 2006 08:14:00 AM »

My b/f bought a kit for me while we were in the yarn store. It came with hand dye merino rovings and a painted bottom whorl spindle.. the roving's are soo soft and beautiful. The spindle is lovely.. but it is sticky to the touch due to the paint. The paint causes the fiber to stick to the spindle. We try to sand it off until it was less sticky. So, I tried spinning it and it didnt work.. Is the top whorl spindle better because of the little hook? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Necia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 05:23:58 PM »

I prefer my top whorl drop spindle, however my bottom whorl spindle does have a hook on it too.  It's all a matter of comfort I guess.  I have 1 bottom whorl spindle, and 3 top whorls, and will probably buy at least 2 more top whorls.
It's sucky that the glue is messing with you.  Where did you get the spindle.  Can it be returned.  A good spindle makes all the difference.

necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 06:02:56 PM »

I agree with the fact that it's rather crappy that the paint is messed up. I have both top and bottom whorls myself and depending on what I spin decides which I use. But I think it might just be personal preferance. I myself have a hard time spinning merino on a spindle but I am used to spinning coopworth or BFL which I can spin quicker for whatever reason. But, I surely think that you should have a non-sticky spindle when you are trying to learn something new. It is already a bit aggrivating when you first start out so any other snaffoos suck. Hope you can either make that one work better for you or get a different one. Lots of Luck to you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dew
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006 05:38:23 AM »

Thanks guys, no I cant return it. But I am keeping it for sentimental values Smiley. I got a new top whorl spindle off ebay. I hope that one is better >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006 06:56:33 PM »

Sticky due to the paint?  I'd try using a furniture oil/polish on it to see if you can remove some of the stickiness.

As for top vs bottom whorl, I use either depending on which of my spindles works best for what I'm doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dynamics on Violin
Learn Hot Cross Buns on Violin
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...