A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Smock top or pinafore? opinions please (image heavy)  (Read 1768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2006 07:46:22 AM »

So I originally meant this top to be like robotsrock's cool top seen here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18063.0
but as usual I did'nt bother to follow the measurements and ended up with straps way too long, ....except I think i might like them that way,but I still love the original as well. So craftsters... opinions please......
 Smock top.....

or pinafore?

the bottom is not hemmed yet, but I think I migh leave it that way since I don't think it will fray.
also any suggestions on how to make it better, I'm a big girl and can take constructive criticism. Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009 08:16:43 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dirtythghts4
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 09:02:19 AM »

here's a 2-fer idea.

why not buy little snaps and sew them on the staps so that when you want the straps to be shorter, you can just snap them up and when you want them to be longer, you just unsnap them. of course, the snaps will have to be either close to the color of the fabric, or very small (which you can get very small ones i'm sure.)

i think that would be an awesome idea, becasue they you can have your cake.... and eat it too. (and hide it under the awesome gathered fabric, lol!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
cute_anarchy
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 09:07:34 AM »

That is so cute!  It looks very professional and well made!  Both ways are really cute, though I love the pinafore version (but then I usually go for the 'more cleavage' option, personally, and the smock top would make me look preganant!  Wink

Here's another idea, quite similar, how about doing two button holes in the back and four buttons on the straps, two at pinafore length and two at smock top length, and then button it however you feel on any given day?  For decoration along the straps, you could do lots of different size and colors of buttons, to disguise the four useful ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
dirtythghts4
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 09:33:35 AM »

you know, buttons are even better idea... if you know how to make a button hole. lol. b/c i don't.

i will learn some day! lol. good luck with whatever you decide to do, by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006 09:39:08 AM »

oooh, tough call! They both look great, but I think I'm going to have to go with pinafore on this one. I think you'll get more use out of it in the coming seasons that way, too (read: layering piece!)

awesome job! I LOVE the colour - so great for fall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006 09:58:19 AM »

thanks for the input .... I don't really know how to make button holes, but I guess i could learn. I like the idea of making it adjustable but I sewed the straps into the facing and can't undo them without taking the whole top apart and I am way too lazy for that. I had just planned on cutting the straps in two at the shoulder and splicing them back together and then just covering it up with some thin brown grosgrain ribbon. Yah I really am that lazy ( though i prefer to think of myself as a creative problem solver Wink) maybe I could make button holes in the straps and do some creative folding to make it adjustable, or use D rings... would that look too terrible? I wish I had more of the top material so I could just make another, but I used it all and it was thrifted and hand dyed so i can't get more, plus I'm trying out this whole "use what you have" thing, anyway, I'm rambling....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006 02:01:43 PM »

You could shorten the straps for the smock top option by tieing a bow around the loose straps behind your back. "Creative problems solving" ajd a "design detail" Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
riccalo
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006 06:33:56 AM »

You did a wonderful job on the shirt and it looks great on you too. Smiley

As for the straps problem... I ended up having too long of straps on my smock top as well. I just folded over the excess amount of straps and sewed in three little buttons on each side. The buttons are just for looks though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité !
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Cure for Tired Eyes
Best Spring Lip Shades
Sofia Vergara to Release Fragrance
How to Prevent Nail Damage from Gel Manicures
Makeup Tips from the Lash Lounge
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...