A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Off Center Necklaces, need help in balancing  (Read 393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sophisticated Hippie
« on: August 15, 2006 03:48:09 AM »

I have a gorgeous vintage rhinestone clasp I would like to use a focal point on an off center necklace.  It would be a multi-strand necklace but I havent made an off center design before.  Those that have created off center designs, are there any techniques to balancing the necklace to hang correctly so the focal is off to side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006 02:47:42 PM »

hmm, yes, sorta... I think it's called counterbalancing.. some sort of complex principle of advanced quantum physics, no doubt... lolol!
But now, I'm only *assuming* that you mean a 'strung' necklace? (that is, not offloom type or loom type beadweaving technique? I know nothing about that type of jewelrymaking)

If you do mean bead'stringing' though ...

I was lol'ing above because I've had zero-zilch success myself with completely working out the concept of counterbalance on paper or on a bead board or anything 'beforehand' (I dunno, maybe it takes a physicist or engineer, which fer-sure ain't me!).

Allllways ended up having to temporarily-string the thing numerous  times, continually trying different stuff, til somehow by some miracle I got it to hang/balance the way I wanted it to (but then, sometimes I never did get to that point). 

If there's any easier-quicker way to do it, hope someone will reveal it to both of us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006 09:22:22 PM »

Thanks Ayn.  I think we work our jewelry making in a similar fashion.  I should have specified it was a "string" style.  Although I admire the work in woven or loomed designs I dont have the patience or the physical ability to do them.  Most of the time I make anything I have a picture in my head and then I take out the beads I have that fit that picture and lay them out on the board.  Once they start going on the wire it can change several times.  I dont have the patience to try and draw it out on paper.  I've tried a few times and I just end up rolling on the floor laughing at myself, lol.

The only thing I have come up with so far is to weigh the beads I will use on the upper portion of the necklace and then make sure the beads I use on the lower portion are at least 1.5x heavier.

Every time I open the bin drawer with my clasps this gorgeous clasps cries out to me for freedom, lol.  It may have to stay in confinement for a few more months until I have the patience to get out my calculator and start weighing the beads.  I appreciate your response and when I have it finished I will post a picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 1/2
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 2/2
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Smoked Egg Salad Recipe
The Success of Chef David Chang
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...