A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,113
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any Suggestions for a Beginning Knitter?  (Read 29882 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2006 11:59:06 AM »

Oh no! I highly reccomend picking yourself up a beginner book, and bookmarking this website:
http://www.knittinghelp.com
It has videos on everything you can imagine from casting on to cables. It's been the most helpful thing I've used in my learning-to-knit venture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knottyknitpicks
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2006 12:10:59 PM »

Oh no! I highly reccomend picking yourself up a beginner book, and bookmarking this website:
http://www.knittinghelp.com
It has videos on everything you can imagine from casting on to cables. It's been the most helpful thing I've used in my learning-to-knit venture.

ditto on knittinghelp.com.  Smiley  have fun!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
combatbaby
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2006 04:38:23 PM »

yes, knittinghelp.com is the best website ever for a newbie! oh and make sure you don't get so addicted that the rest of your life becomes secondary. believe me, it's not good. but have fun! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2006 07:31:17 PM »

I'm a total newbie too. I have a problem though - knittinghelp.com doesn't really work for me because I'm on super slow dialup. Like, it'd take all night to download one video. Any other suggestions? Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2006 07:48:19 PM »

I'm a total newbie too. I have a problem though - knittinghelp.com doesn't really work for me because I'm on super slow dialup. Like, it'd take all night to download one video. Any other suggestions? Thanks Smiley

i don't know if you're willing to invest in a book, but i learned how to knit with the first stitch n' bitch book.  the pictures were relatively easy for me to understand as were the instructions.  there are also some super cute patterns Smiley  its also just plain fun to read Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2006 07:55:28 PM »

i don't know if you're willing to invest in a book, but i learned how to knit with the first stitch n' bitch book.  the pictures were relatively easy for me to understand as were the instructions.  there are also some super cute patterns Smiley  its also just plain fun to read Smiley 

I actually have it, I just don't get the pictures all that well : / I probably just haven't tried it enough. I tend to get really frustrated really easily Tongue Thanks for replying though Smiley And yeah, I love some of the patterns, they're making me antsy to learn faster! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
knottyknitpicks
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2006 10:09:14 PM »

i  used some non-video internet instructions, the SnB book and knittinghelp to help me.  also the ladies at the lys showed me how to use the dpns i bought at their store - and my BIL's mom helped me with the dpns to help me.  i printed the non-video interent instructions about 3 years ago - so this was way before i had the SnB book.

slow dial up - does your local library have computers with internet?  i know the one by my parent's house has internet and limits each person to about 10 minutes of internet use.  i mean, are you the type of person who wouldn't mind knitting at the library.  there are times the videos are extremely useful for me.  and i just keep replaying it and try to copy what is done until i get it right.

good luck!  happy knitting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eib
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2006 09:19:25 AM »

Have you tried http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/? They have some good download learn to knit instructions and lots of free patterns! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2006 11:22:32 AM »

Okay, I've been watching the videos on the website and the Continental style seems easiest to me.  I figured out casting on and knitting - YEAH ME!!  I just can't get the purling part.  Everytime I get frustrated, I just pull it apart, put it away and start over later.LOL 

I discovered my mother and MIL both knit, but haven't done it in years.  They both agreed to try to help me this weekend.  My mom on Saturday and MIL on Sunday.  So, by Monday, I should be able to knit a little bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2006 06:18:05 PM »

Oh congrats! Good choice on Continental. I knit English style and I've been thinking about learning continental because I hear it's way faster and less stress on your hands. I learned from my MIL, too.

Purling will make all the sense in the world once you get it.. like most things in knitting you'll think..."I'm a dummy, how did I miss that!?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Theodore Leaf Reveals His Elevator Makeover Hair Tricks
How to Style a Messy French Twist
5 Things to Try This March 2014
3 Easy DIY Beauty Organizer Hacks
How to Apply Blush to Any Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...