A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made a dress! **now with an attempt at a tutorial**  (Read 17563 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

panic_paizlee

Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2006 09:23:31 PM »

So, I was on here yesterday and saw someone had made a pillow case into a shirt (I can't remember where I saw it....). I wanted to make one, but my chest is a little too big for that. I was gonna make one out of some fabric I had lying around, but realized I had enough to make a dress, so I did. In the end my dress isn't even like the pillow case shirt, but whatever! So here it is:

I don't like my arms (but who really likes their arms?) so I am gonna wear a shrug over the top (that's the brown...)
So here you can see the straps (but with a shirt underneath):

And this one is really blurry, but you can see the leanth of it (for some reason my little sister couldn't manage to take an unblurry one!   Wink haha...)

I put elastic around the top and under the bust. The top elastic is a little tight (I might end up taking it out or something...), but other than that I love my new dress Cheesy! It kinda reminds me of a picnic because of the plaid fabric, haha!
-Paizlee
*** Sad if this is really confusing, just tell me please! Or if you have any questions, please ask  Huh***
**Cause it's the first tutrial I have ever made.... So be nice!**
1. I started with about 1- yards of fabric (44 in. wide) and some elastic ( in. wide).
2. For the measurements (of the top): I measured under my bust: 40-in. And I measured above my bust: 39-in. And how long, top to bottom of one boob: 10-in.
3. I folded the fabric in half (unfold it and fold it the other way) Hard to describe so I drew a picture, hope that it makes it a little more clear:

4. I drew it out like this (for the measurements I divided my under bust measurement in half: 20-in. and added 5-in. to that. And that is how wide I drew it out: 25-in. for the above and below the bust.):

5. I didnt cut any thing yet. I sewed the dark reddish lines. Leaving some at the top to make a casing for the elastic.
6. After I sewed it I cut off the excess. Then I made straps with what was left over. The straps are just two rectangles sewn with wrong sides together and then turned the right way and sewn to hold it flat.
7. I folded and ironed a casing for the elastic. But I did not put the elastic in yet.
8. I pined the straps on (while I had the dress on.) and had my Mom pin them on in the back. And sew them on the same line as the elastic casing, so you could still put the elastic in: 

9. I sewn on the elastic for under the bust:

Cut a piece of elastic shorter then the under bust measurement (mine being 40-in. I made it about 35-in.) As you sew it to the wrong side of the fabric stretch it out so it fits all the way around. This will make it bunch up when you are done.
10. Put the top elastic (cut another piece the same size as the under bust one) in the casing. And sew the elastic together and the casing closed.
11. You can hem up the dress, but I didnt have too. I went the lazy way and just left the salvage edge, because it was just the right length. I was lucky. But if you are shorter then I am (I hope not Im only 5 1,  Wink) you can hem it up as you need. Or if youre taller then I am, I would use a 60-in. wide fabric.
12. And now you have a new dress!! Haha.
Hope it helps!!
-Paizlee
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006 11:43:05 PM by panic_paizlee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm waking up again and see that war on screen again
And it makes me want to go and hide
This world is full of misery, the anger is too big to see
That's why I had to dream this dream
'Ochrasy'
By your new favorite band: www.mando-diao.com
abeautifullife
La La La La La La live for today.....

I am a perfect specimen.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 01:35:06 PM »

Smiley Just love that dress, you did a great job!  Smiley  How much fabric did it take to make it, the length is perfect, did you have to cut some off to hem it? or was it just perfect? I guess I'm humbly asking for a tut..lol, Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panic_paizlee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 02:11:56 PM »

Smiley Just love that dress, you did a great job!  Smiley  How much fabric did it take to make it, the length is perfect, did you have to cut some off to hem it? or was it just perfect? I guess I'm humbly asking for a tut..lol, Lisa
I can try to make a tut if you want, but be warned I have never done one before. I think this dress is simple enough for me not to screw it up, haha. I'll try to post it later tonight.  Cheesy I'm glad you guys liked it! Thanks!
-Paizlee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'Ochrasy'
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 06:41:05 PM »

Beautiful! Great job. And don't be so concerned about your arms Cheesy I could knock down someone in Texas when I wave (btw I live in georgia... Cheesy ) But, I have decided to own my body and be proud. I workout hard, eat right and am healthy (especially for my size Tongue ) SO OWN IT GIRL! Cheesy  Bravo on the dress just beautiful Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006 05:40:21 PM by diannab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
veganmom
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 08:54:30 PM »

Fun! And how clever of you to make it up like that!

Veganmom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LisaA
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 06:49:19 AM »

Love your dress! One is in my future! Thank You for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ms.cate
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006 06:49:27 PM »

What a fantastic tute! Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamasharones
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006 11:36:09 AM »

Fantastic Job!  I love it and it looks great on you!  Thanks for the tut!  Definitely gonna try this one out!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panic_paizlee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006 09:45:32 PM »

If any of you guys make one please post it! I would love to see waht you guys make.
And I'm am super happy you like it!  Cheesy
Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'Ochrasy'
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006 05:04:21 AM »

Cute dress and great tutorial.  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mr. Brainwash Strips Down His Love For Art Basel (Interview)
How to Learn Flower Painting Techniques
A Japanese Artist Uses Starbucks Cups to Create 3D Drawings
How to Make Your Own Glow in the Dark Art
How to Paint with Oils
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...