A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Louisville  (Read 2200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« on: May 29, 2007 06:32:33 AM »

So, I'm moving to Louisville in a few weeks and have no real knowledge of the neighborhoods, schools, guilds, well anything, etc.
I am 26, have a two year old girl and a hubby.  I graduated college recently with a Studio Art degree, emphasis Fibers.  And I'm a craftster.  What can you tell me about the areas in and around Louisville (more so city proper and all the districts)?    I live in Murray, KY right now, but have only been to Louisville as a kid.  Honestly, I need all the help I can get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzle7033
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007 05:33:49 PM »

Can't tell you much about Louisville other than from a tourists view, but I'm in Frankfort about 45 minutes to an hour down the road. Smiley  I think you will love Louisville, there are lots of museums and fun things to do there you simply must check out the JB Speed Museum on UofL's campus!  Its one of my favorite places in Kentucky. Smiley  OMG, the Cathedral of the Assumption is breathtaking!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007 06:31:17 PM »

You'll love Louisville!  I've lived here all my life and I never get tired of it!
What area of town are you moving to?
One neighborhood that's appealing to most Craftster types is the Highlands, specifically Bardstown Rd.  They've got a lot of good locally-owned restaurants and funky shops, including the Knit Nook, Edenside Gallery, and vintage/DIY clothing places like Cherry Bomb and Dot Fox.  The area is just southeast of downtown.
As far as fun and artsy places, I love Main Street: be sure to check out the 21C Hotel/gallery and the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft (both have free admission).  And they are right by the Waterfront, which would be a great place to go with your daughter as there are playgrounds and fountains.
As a fiber artist, it is probably imperative that you see at least one of Penny Sisto's quilts (which are more like paintings that happen to be assembled with a sewing machine).  She lives in southern Indiana, so she's done loads of commissions for various places in Louisville--I know there is one of hers right inside the door of New Directions Housing Corp. and one in the church right next door to Casa Latina on Woodbine St.  Anyway, if you ever come across her name anywhere in Louisville, make a point to check it out!!  She's incredible!!  **End tangent**

As far as crafty supplies, I highly recommend Dee's Crafts on Shelbyville Rd.  You have to fight tooth and nail through mall traffic to get there  (Roll Eyes), but chances are you'll forget about it as soon as you step inside.

To sum up, Louisville's got a pretty good downtown scene.  We have nice, big urban parks such as Cherokee, Seneca, Waterfront, and Iroquois.  Our zoo has an albino alligator and a newborn elephant.  The Crescent Hill Library has a big purple castle in the children's section.   You can watch Shakespeare plays for free in Central Park during July.  Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd... you can get ridiculously tall orange soft serve cones at Dairy Kastle on Eastern Parkway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Cedy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 01:52:40 PM »

Since you are moving to Louisville and have an interest in art and fibers, you may want to check out the group, LAFTA.  That stands for Louisville Area Fiber and Textile Artists.  It is made up of women and a few men who are very interested in the arts and fiber.  The interests of the group are varied.  It is a great group for sharing.  They meet once a month, have workshops at various times and have exhibits of their works. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alisasaur
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007 07:23:28 PM »

i've only lived in louisville for a few years, but crescent hill is also a cool place to explore.  there's a fantastic bead store called after glow that sells only natural and glass beads.  definitely check that place out if you are interested.  it's on shelbyville rd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katieb
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007 01:58:47 PM »

And don't forget Baer's ( i think it's on Main street).  This is an awesome fabric store, and I've heard they offer sweet sewing classes, too.  I thrift most of my fabric and stuff, and I think the two best thrift stores are Younique (I think it's on 22nd street) and the DAV on 23rd?  (Sorry about the shoddy directions)  I would also check out the new and improved Mellwood arts center - tons of local artisan stores and things of interest.  Another brand new antique store just opened up near there as well, called the Crazy Daisy.  It has tons of cute vintage stuff, as does the aforementioned Cherry Bomb and Dot Fox in the Highlands.  Also check out Queen of Rags on Bardstown Road, and on Barret Ave nearby there is the Nitty Gritty (awesome, awesome).  And Architectural Salvage is another great place to get lost in, on Broadway. The Knit Nook is also the bomb, certainly, and the owners are some of my favorite sassy ladies around. In general, the Highlands is a good place to start.  any other questions, feel free to message me - good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharripie
Knitter, Needlepointer, Quilter, Crafter

Born to Craft!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 07:00:23 PM »

I've only just joined Craftster, so I'm a little late to this thread. If you're still finding your way around, a good place to start is East Market Street, then maybe the Mellwood Arts Center. On the first Friday of every month there's a trolley hop for the Market & Main Street galleries. The final Friday trolley hop covers the Frankfort Avenue galleries & shop, as well as Mellwood. Both these hops draw a lot of people, so if you don't like crowds, pick another time to go.
I got my BFA from the University of Louisville and loved Lida Gordon's fiber classes. If you're thinking about an MFA, you could do a fiber MFA at UofL. The earlier advice about meeting up with the LAFTA folks is good. I think they meet at the old Water Tower (but I might be remembering wrong. It could be LVAA).
One more thing you might be interested in, especially if you're new to Kentucky, is the craft scene in Berea. There are all kinds of weavers and other fiber artists doing really great work. It's an easy day trip from Louisville. The last time I went there was in the fall, and the foliage in the forest made for a beautiful drive. There was a lot of traffic that day, but I didn't really notice since I was the passenger!
Hope you don't mind the long post! Welcome to Louisville!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Alan Grier Talks About Barack Like Me
Joseph Maroon Talks About the Future of His Research
Ellen Crosby Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Jeff Nichols Talks About Trainwreck
Bethenny Frankel Talks About Naturally Thin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...