A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Essentials of Medical-Surgical Nursing"  (Read 4407 times)
Tags for this thread: book_purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nelly
Captain, CAPTAIN!

Savvy?

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2006 01:44:41 PM »

So I picked up this old 80's textbook for 50cents at a thrift store with thoughts of making one of those book purses. I'm going to school to become a nurse so I was pretty excited. Well it sat under my bed for months and after looking at it various times I wasn't sure it would match my style very well so I let it be.
So fast forward a bit...My Aunt's birthday is approaching and my mom wants to get her something really nice and thoughtful because my aunt always gives such nice gifts. My aunt just happens to be a Nurse Practitioner  and has taught nursing at a college. hehe Cool. So It's the night before her party and my mom is freaked cause she hasn't found anything. Idea lightbulb goes on and the process began. Cheesy I went to walmart and got all my supplies and went to work on it at about midnight. I finished about about 3 am ish I think... I just basically figured out how to make it as I went along. She loved it!

What do you think?

-Nelly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 02:00:20 PM »

Looks wonderful! You did a great job!
I'm assuming you used velcro for your closure?

And, How sweet of you to sacrifice your book for your aunt......
I've got news for you....you can find lots and LOTS of similar books at used book stores and library book sales, you just have to keep your eyes open...maybe not quite as cheap as 50 cents, but maybe cheaper (our Friends of the Library offers the bargain of $2.50 for all you can fit into a grocery bag in the last 2 hours of their sale)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xveganettex
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006 02:36:25 PM »

ive always wanted to try and make a book purse  Cheesy buti can never seem to bring myself to cutting up a book  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006 02:42:25 PM »

great job! it looks beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Nelly
Captain, CAPTAIN!

Savvy?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006 02:43:19 PM »

I did use velcro. Those book sales are really good. I've boughten a couple books with craftying it up in mind, but most of them I feel bad cutting up and the others I have decided are ugly and would take too much work.
When I bought this I was planning to read through it a bit and then decide if I wanted to just keep it or make a purse out of it. After I looked through it a bit I realised how old and dated it really was. Medicine has changed a LOT since this book was published so I didn't really feel as bad about taking the pages out.  I'd have to re learn anting I would have read in there. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006 03:20:23 PM »

That is totally awesome!!!  What a wonderful gift for your Aunt  (bet she bout sniff sniff  when she got it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_katonic
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 05:55:19 PM »

That is a great idea! I'm starting school this fall for my nursing pre-req's and was thinking of making a bag for my books, this project is inspirational!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006 11:11:02 AM »

It looks great! You got my wheels turning too! I have 4 nurses in my family (my Mom being one of them). I made a book purse for my niece last year and my Mom thought it was really cool. Now I'll have to be on the look out for nursing  books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dirtythghts4
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006 11:26:02 AM »

if you don't mind me asking, how did you attach the inside fabric to the book? glue?

yay for you, it looks really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
Nelly
Captain, CAPTAIN!

Savvy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006 12:11:53 PM »

Yep, Tacky glue and staples (where it wouldn;t be showinging). The only sewing I did was for the gussets and I seriously could not explain how I did those.  Cheesy I was soooo out of it I'm suprised I even remember using a sewing machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006 12:22:55 PM »

if you don't mind me asking, how did you attach the inside fabric to the book? glue?

yay for you, it looks really nice.

Interestingly enough, Leah's book of craftster crafts has an unusual approach to atttaching the lining. She uses iron on webbing for all but the edges which she hot glues. I don't think I could do it that way (have promised myself very little exposure to hot glue techniques), and you may need a stronger bond as the book gets bigger, and presumably, heavier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006 08:53:48 PM »

What a great idea! Too bad our libraray had our booksale in June and I didn't buy any books big enough to turn into a purse...guess there are still garage sales and flea markets I can look into! This is just so neat...I hope I can try it out soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
KatJones

Singin' & Craftin' My Brains Out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006 02:01:21 PM »

OH... that's so pretty.  Now I have more inspiration to get through my day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All things essential to the universe are invisible to the eyes." - The Fox

http://theekatjones.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/katjones
http://www.wists.com/katjones
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006 06:24:10 PM »

Nelly, thanks for the idea. My sister is a nurse and I often see nursing books at one of the thrift stores I visit--in fact, I think I've seen the very one you used--so I might do something like this one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
secondstar
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007 12:08:26 AM »

I remember this book always being around the house when I was little. There's even the current copy on my book case! You've totally inspired me to make a "thinking of you" gift for my mom!(she's only been a nurse for FO-EVA)

thank you Smiley for being inspiring
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We could be like onions and peppers
In a sleeping bag fajita
We could be anything you want
bluesaranwrap
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007 04:12:46 PM »

you did really well on it. i LOVE the fabric inside. I just made a book purse myself and it didn't turn out half as good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Stitch Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Chain Ruffle Border
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...