A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fair-Isle cardigan with set-in sleeves?  (Read 616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MmmKnits
« on: August 14, 2006 11:39:59 AM »

Help me, oh wise craftsters. I'm making a Fair Isle sweater for my grandmother for Christmas. I had planned to use the Fairly Easy Fair Isle pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, but my mother mentioned that Grandma has gotten quite stoop-shouldered since I last saw her, and Mom specifically requested that I stay away from a raglan sweater pattern as it would emphasize the roundness of her shoulders (which she has been trying to hide by wearing lots and lots of shoulder pads).

I'm stumped. I want to make Grandma a sweater that will be flattering on her, one she'll love and wear a lot, but I'm having a hard time reconciling a FI design (which I know she loves) and a non-raglan pattern. I've never done colorwork before, and FEFI seemed like a good way to ease into it. The only non-raglan stranded knitting patterns I've seen have been the lovely (and extremely challenging) ones from Dale of Norway (which I would LOVE to make, but need to work up to first). So here's a question for you: Can you recommend a pattern for a sweater that

1) Is a cardigan
2) Features stranded colorwork
3) Has set-in sleeves?

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006 11:44:12 AM by MmmKnits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 11:59:50 AM »

I don't have a pattern for you, but in terms of how to do a set in sleeve in Fair Isle, I suggest looking at this tutorial on steeking: http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/steeking_chronicles_the_should.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NewLeodensian
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006 01:00:45 PM »

I don't know how easy it is for you to get a hold of, but you might try some of the Rowan or Jaeger magazines/books.  I know there is one called Florentine that is a cardigan (although it is also a vest) in Rowan magazine 36 http://www.colourway.co.uk/rowan/rb36/rb36.htm (it is in the 5th row down).

My only other suggestion would be to try a site like Knitting Pattern Central http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/womens_cardigans.php where they list lots of free patterns on the web.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
lawral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006 01:36:28 PM »

vintage knits by sarah dallas has a pattern for a fair isle cardigan with set in sleeves and no steeking. the colorwork is all over the cardigan though, not just at the neck so i don't know if that's what you're looking for.

here it is on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743224566/sr=8-2/qid=1155587460/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4144871-3814204?ie=UTF8
if you use the "search inside" feature and hit "surprise me" enough times, you should be able to see a picture of it. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006 05:28:29 PM »

You could possibly work some short rows for the sleeves like
this i don't have the book with me so i am not sure of how the sweater is constructed will allow this to work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006 07:41:12 PM »

vintage knits by sarah dallas has a pattern for a fair isle cardigan with set in sleeves and no steeking. the colorwork is all over the cardigan though, not just at the neck so i don't know if that's what you're looking for.

I found a site with pictures from Vintage Knits--there are a few nice fair isle projects in there.

You might also be able to find a project on Garnstudio's Free Patterns website, especially the Norwegian Knits section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
subloke
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006 04:11:20 PM »

I just saw this at the Drops site and thought of your quest for a set in sleeve, fair isle cardigan.  (i just noticed the froofiness at the neck, which would not work for me personally, but... )

Also at Drops I saw this one.  I love the sleeves! 

Good luck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
eatyerhartout
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006 09:48:04 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that garnstudio link. I went to that site about a year ago and haven't been able to find it since!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
MmmKnits
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 09:05:49 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I checked out all the links you suggested and got a bit overwhelmed by all the new skills I'd have to learn in order to make this work!  Shocked I think I've decided to just go with the Fairly Easy Fair Isle pattern after all (Mom's suggestion be damned) since I've heard from a lot of people that it is a quick and pleasant knit.

This decision is sort of making me feel like a chicken, but I think it'll be the best thing in the long run. I have plenty of time to get this sweater done before Christmas, but I also have a lot of other knitting on my plate for the next few months. And while I'm sure that someday I will want to move on to more complex colorwork and learn how to steek, I'd rather do it under more relaxed circumstances with no time or high-stakes gift-knitting pressure!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fan Fiction
Si-Cology 1 by Duck Dynasty’s Uncle Si
Fury Series by Elizabeth Miles Book Trailer
Fury Book Series by Elizabeth Miles
The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...