A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fair-Isle cardigan with set-in sleeves?  (Read 682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MmmKnits
« on: August 14, 2006 11:39:59 AM »

Help me, oh wise craftsters. I'm making a Fair Isle sweater for my grandmother for Christmas. I had planned to use the Fairly Easy Fair Isle pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, but my mother mentioned that Grandma has gotten quite stoop-shouldered since I last saw her, and Mom specifically requested that I stay away from a raglan sweater pattern as it would emphasize the roundness of her shoulders (which she has been trying to hide by wearing lots and lots of shoulder pads).

I'm stumped. I want to make Grandma a sweater that will be flattering on her, one she'll love and wear a lot, but I'm having a hard time reconciling a FI design (which I know she loves) and a non-raglan pattern. I've never done colorwork before, and FEFI seemed like a good way to ease into it. The only non-raglan stranded knitting patterns I've seen have been the lovely (and extremely challenging) ones from Dale of Norway (which I would LOVE to make, but need to work up to first). So here's a question for you: Can you recommend a pattern for a sweater that

1) Is a cardigan
2) Features stranded colorwork
3) Has set-in sleeves?

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006 11:44:12 AM by MmmKnits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 11:59:50 AM »

I don't have a pattern for you, but in terms of how to do a set in sleeve in Fair Isle, I suggest looking at this tutorial on steeking: http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/steeking_chronicles_the_should.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NewLeodensian
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006 01:00:45 PM »

I don't know how easy it is for you to get a hold of, but you might try some of the Rowan or Jaeger magazines/books.  I know there is one called Florentine that is a cardigan (although it is also a vest) in Rowan magazine 36 http://www.colourway.co.uk/rowan/rb36/rb36.htm (it is in the 5th row down).

My only other suggestion would be to try a site like Knitting Pattern Central http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/womens_cardigans.php where they list lots of free patterns on the web.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
lawral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006 01:36:28 PM »

vintage knits by sarah dallas has a pattern for a fair isle cardigan with set in sleeves and no steeking. the colorwork is all over the cardigan though, not just at the neck so i don't know if that's what you're looking for.

here it is on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743224566/sr=8-2/qid=1155587460/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4144871-3814204?ie=UTF8
if you use the "search inside" feature and hit "surprise me" enough times, you should be able to see a picture of it. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006 05:28:29 PM »

You could possibly work some short rows for the sleeves like
this i don't have the book with me so i am not sure of how the sweater is constructed will allow this to work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006 07:41:12 PM »

vintage knits by sarah dallas has a pattern for a fair isle cardigan with set in sleeves and no steeking. the colorwork is all over the cardigan though, not just at the neck so i don't know if that's what you're looking for.

I found a site with pictures from Vintage Knits--there are a few nice fair isle projects in there.

You might also be able to find a project on Garnstudio's Free Patterns website, especially the Norwegian Knits section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
subloke
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006 04:11:20 PM »

I just saw this at the Drops site and thought of your quest for a set in sleeve, fair isle cardigan.  (i just noticed the froofiness at the neck, which would not work for me personally, but... )

Also at Drops I saw this one.  I love the sleeves! 

Good luck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
eatyerhartout
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006 09:48:04 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that garnstudio link. I went to that site about a year ago and haven't been able to find it since!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
MmmKnits
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 09:05:49 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I checked out all the links you suggested and got a bit overwhelmed by all the new skills I'd have to learn in order to make this work!  Shocked I think I've decided to just go with the Fairly Easy Fair Isle pattern after all (Mom's suggestion be damned) since I've heard from a lot of people that it is a quick and pleasant knit.

This decision is sort of making me feel like a chicken, but I think it'll be the best thing in the long run. I have plenty of time to get this sweater done before Christmas, but I also have a lot of other knitting on my plate for the next few months. And while I'm sure that someday I will want to move on to more complex colorwork and learn how to steek, I'd rather do it under more relaxed circumstances with no time or high-stakes gift-knitting pressure!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
World Press Photos Of The Year
Anthropographia Photo Exhibit on Human Rights
How to Take 3D Photographs
World Press Photo: Selection Process
Fashion and Beauty Photography Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...