A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bleaching Denim Jeans  (Read 16473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kill the DJ
« on: August 14, 2006 09:14:11 AM »

I've been looking to buy white jeans a little while now and NO stores sell white jeans for men (imagine that).  What I'd like to do is bleach an old pair of jeans that I have now or go get a pair from a thrift store.  I did use search, which only turned up a couple threads of little value.

My Questions
1.  Is it possible to bleach blue jeans to white?
2.  How much will they be damaged?  I'm aware that extensive bleach use weakens and even dissolves many types of clothing.  I've also heard that bleach corrodes the metal on clothing, sometimes causing rust stains.
3.  Is there an eco-safe way to do it?  If I did this it'd probably be just a tub or sink with a bunch of (possibly diluted) bleach, which to me sounds terribly harmful to the environment.  Or is letting the bleach go down the drain ok?  Or a certain type of bleach that's OK?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balue
more food please

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 09:56:29 AM »

Never tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure you can bleach blue denim to white - I think it's only black that turns a kind of brown-yellow-y colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Balue

Personal Swaps = <3
mallorymary
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006 12:51:44 PM »

Did you ask Internet? I checked around and my guess is to just make a water/bleach mix (so as to not destroy the jeans, but enough to be effective) and keep going till you get what you want. I don't know. It looks like it'd be hard to get the jeans completely white- insides of pockets, seams, etc., so it's all even.

I don't know! Please let us know how it works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vanishing2pink

Can't get enough Craftser!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006 12:58:28 PM »

I've heard that once you use bleach on something to distress the color you should use vinegar to stop the effect of the belach eating your clothing. I'm taking it that it should also work on jeans as well.

What you do is use the bleach until you get it the way you want it..... rinse .... pour vinegar(i think cider vinegar) on the spot where you just bleached .... and then rinse again until you can no longer smell either the bleach or the vinegar. *AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO* Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CreativeDiva

Flourishing in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006 01:49:56 PM »

Using bleach to stop the process is correct but use white vinegar. You probably will not be able to get your jeans pure white, as denim is made with indigo dye. Which when removed will leave a slighty yellowish tinge. Look closely at a denim item where the dye has been removed. It only looks white because of the contrast.
Try the links below. Maybe they'll help.

http://www.nextag.com/mens-white-jeans/search-html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000922TVC/sr=1-1/qid=1155588291/ref=sr_1_1/104-3969918-4087916?ie=UTF8&s=apparel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BHIQFI/sr=1-2/qid=1155588291/ref=sr_1_2/104-3969918-4087916?ie=UTF8&s=apparel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and say what you feel,
Because those who mind don't matter,
And those who matter don't mind.
CaptainButtocks
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006 02:40:14 PM »

I've bleached jeans often. I mean, OFTEN.

I really wouldn't recommend bleaching an entire pair of pants. Maybe try grabbing a pair of thrift store jeans and giving it a shot anyway, to see.

1) Yes, you can go from blue to white. I've never tried with entire jeans though, it might take a while and the damage will be bad...
2) Everytime I've bleached jeans they finished destroyed and the crotch/butt a few month after the bleaching, or I'd leave the bleach too long on some spots and those areas would completly disolve. Bleach is powerful, I wouldn't imagine it very controlled on an entire piece of clothe. It's rarely fully uniform.
3) Being a self-proclaimed environmental devotee, there's always consern for me on that subject. I don't feel comfortable poring all that poisonous shit down that drain.  The way I'd do it is I'd bleach them on the porch and I'd pore it on an already deteriorated piece of land, behind the ched. I hated doing that, it just seemed worse, but at least I don't hear my mom bitching about the horrible smell (even though I'd buy the sented kind). But I don't know, I guess I'm just slightly paranoid about the whole public water system Tongue I should research some stuff...

Don't dilute the bleach with water. It weakens the bleach and you won't get the effect that you desire.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006 02:45:30 PM by CaptainButtocks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennique
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 05:47:15 PM »

I'm sure these people know way more than I. Infact I have no answer to the bleach question.. I also know you know that it weakens fabrics just thought I would share an experience. I had a creamishy coloured pair of jeans that I put in the wash with red sheets >.< and they turned pink. I wanted them white again so I bleached them with a water bleach mix. It worked fairly well.. they were still pinkish but better. Anyways I yanked them out of my closet one day and they tore just from pulling. I patched them back together only to have them tear worse later on in a different spot just from like normal stretching while wearing them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
peachymanaangel
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006 08:18:51 PM »

3. Is there an eco-safe way to do it?

All cities have ordnances about the disposal of hazardous chemicals. Contact your cities waste management for the proper disposal meathods.

What about a fabric whitener rit and other dye companies make whiteners. Or a buy a pair of white twill pants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006 01:29:18 AM »

I had a pair of shorts that I ruined by washing with an iron pil in the pocket (I resisted pills of any kind as a kid Embarrassed) and I finally decided to try bleach. Left them overnight in a bucket with 2c bleach and enough water to cover. Then I poured the water into the washer with my white laundry. They look very nice and white now Smiley

I don't seem to have any weakening of the fabric (over 10 years old AFTER bleaching!) and the buttons/zipper is fine too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
-zoma-

finally a picture of me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006 05:14:49 AM »

3) Being a self-proclaimed environmental devotee, there's always consern for me on that subject. I don't feel comfortable poring all that poisonous shit down that drain.  The way I'd do it is I'd bleach them on the porch and I'd pore it on an already deteriorated piece of land, behind the ched. I hated doing that, it just seemed worse, but at least I don't hear my mom bitching about the horrible smell (even though I'd buy the sented kind). But I don't know, I guess I'm just slightly paranoid about the whole public water system Tongue I should research some stuff...

Actually, pouring bleach on the ground is worse. If you pour it down the drain, it goes to the water treatment plant. If you pour it on the ground, it goes straight through to the ground water without being treated first. That's a big concern where I live because it goes straight to the lake and kills the fishies.

And I've bleached jeans before too, it ruins the fabric and they don't come out completely white. Not worth it IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetyprize
I love sweetyprize at sweetyprize.etsy.com

Shop http://sweetyprize.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006 05:33:18 AM »

for small projects, i use a bleach pen. i would be scared to bleach a large piece of fabric. i'd probably go to the thrift store and find a pair of white jeans, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so proud of my shop at http://sweetyprize.etsy.com
mini envelopes, unique scarfs, cassette tape recons! New items now available!
Kill the DJ
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006 08:18:15 AM »

Wow, thank you all for your responses.  Just before I tried, I found out Levi's is selling white jeans dirt cheap in my favorite model, so I won't be doing the whole thing.  But all of this info will be great for future products.

Thanks again.

If anyone is looking like I was.
http://www.levisstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2072836&cp=2068573.2075200.2075206&parentPage=family
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KayDIH
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009 08:12:30 PM »

I bleached a pair of dark denim jeans in 1/2 bleach 1/2 water and they have turned yellow.  I wanted them to turn a light blue bordering on white (I would've been ok with white as well).  Is there anyway to salvage the color?...(check out my pictures, i have a before and after shot)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KayDoesItHerself
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NewBeauty Testtube May Sneak Peek
Get Supermodel Jean Shrimpton’s 1964 Glamour Cover Shoot Look
Makeup Pro Kandee Johnson Transforms Into Supermodel Jean Shrimpton
Hungover Makeup Tutorial
These Common Beauty Habits Might Actually Give You Wrinkles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...