A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for Quotes from Crafters and Cookers  (Read 379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IzzyBella

Drag it out of the trash... and make it beautiful

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2006 09:13:49 AM »

So I've decided that our local alternative rag needs an article on doing it your-goddamn-self, particularly when it comes to such essentials as food and clothing.  It's easiest to control what goes into your food when you're the one cooking, you know your clothing isn't made in a sweatshop if you make it at home, it's a lot easier to stick it to The Man when you're not buying everything he sells you...  etcetera etcetera.  However, right now I'm pretty much speaking from my own experience, and that may not be incredibly universal.  So I'd like some feedback (and possible quotes for the article) from other Craftsters, because I know you know what you're talking about.

These are the questions that I'd specifically like to address:

Do you feel that making your own food/clothing/gifts/artwork has affected what you purchase, how much you purchase, and how much thought you put into purchases?

Do you feel that you're able to eat healthier if/when you make your own food?

Do you feel like crafting takes up a larger amount of your time, perhaps more than it should?

Do you feel as though you could be doing better things with your time than crafting?

Do you feel like crafting helps you make a meaningful contribution to society?

Do you feel like crafting helps you express your individuality?

How does crafting fit into gender roles for you? (i.e. - are you a woman who wonders if you're falling into a stereotypical version of femininity / sees nothing wrong with her crafting, thank you very much, or a man who  realizes that crafts are girly / doesn't care if they're girly / actually enjoys subverting gender roles, so there!)

Do you think it's practical to make things for yourself, or is the convenience of purchasing ready-made goods worth the attendant risks?

You can answer as many questions as you like, or all, or none, or make up your own, or go off on tangents.  Also, even though I know this is Craftster and I'm kind of preaching to the choir, you can disagree with my whole premise and tell me how much I'm oversimplifying things.  I'm interested in honest opinions so I can make my article as accurate as possible.  So go to town.  Feel free to elaborate as much as you like (long answers are better for short ones), let me know how to quote you if you want to be quoted, all that good stuff.

Oh, and thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Project Runway Craftalong!  CLICK HERE!  Now with no deadlines!

Your girl finally got her Etsy
shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 09:33:56 AM »

Do you feel that making your own food/clothing/gifts/artwork has affected what you purchase, how much you purchase, and how much thought you put into purchases?

Definately. I look at objects that other people pick up and buy all the time and often put them back because I would prefer to make it myself, for less money, or desire to challenge myself by making it.

Do you feel that you're able to eat healthier if/when you make your own food?

Yes. Buying organic from a whole foods market cuts back on so many of the horrible things that people put into their systems. Cooking at home with my own spices, some of which I grow myself, makes me feel better about what I eat.

Do you feel like crafting takes up a larger amount of your time, perhaps more than it should?

Not really. Crafting is not only a way that I have nice things around me, that satisfy how picky I am about things, it's a hobby, and sometimes a profitable source of income.

Do you feel as though you could be doing better things with your time than crafting?

Not at all. Creating makes me feel like things are being accomplished. I'm creating beautiful things to share with people.

Do you feel like crafting helps you make a meaningful contribution to society?

Sometimes, as I often craft items to donate to shelters and fund raisers.

Do you feel like crafting helps you express your individuality?

One hundred percent! When I was in high school I petitioned against starting a uniform based school dress code in lue of a more stringent policy on the method of dress because I made lots of my own clothes and often friends clothes. Now-a-days I make clothes for myself that I can not find in stores anywhere. The "social norm" is a bit far off base of where I choose to be and it bothers me to see that I'm wearing the same thing that someone else is somewhere, espeically if it's very noticeable to a lot of people. Conforming is stagnation of the mind.

How does crafting fit into gender roles for you? (i.e. - are you a woman who wonders if you're falling into a stereotypical version of femininity / sees nothing wrong with her crafting, thank you very much, or a man who  realizes that crafts are girly / doesn't care if they're girly / actually enjoys subverting gender roles, so there!)

Gender roles are being bent, broken, and melted down into other things every day. I'm a chick who totally thinks that stereotypes are for people who can't stand change. I taught my brother how to knit because he asked me to so he could make stuff for his girlfriend.

Do you think it's practical to make things for yourself, or is the convenience of purchasing ready-made goods worth the attendant risks?

With the price of supplies for making things by hand, sometimes it's more practical to buy what you can. With as many second hand and thrift stores as there are it's easy to cut the cost of buying convienience items and not encouraging the use of cheap labor or outsourced product a little bit.

Hope that helps! Feel free to quote as much as you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can Eyeliner Give You an Eye Lift?
Dudes Attempt A @Mac_daddyy Makeup Tutorial
Home Remedies for Acne
A Month Without Makeup; One Girl’s Quest to Find True Beauty
Beauty Routine Tips from Day to Night
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...