A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Noob Learns a Lesson  (Read 1176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilsarah
« on: August 13, 2006 11:49:04 PM »

My boyfriend is out of town, and his computer desk was getting very worn, so I decided I would decorate the top and then cover it with resin. He is a musician, and a smoker and a drinker, so beer spills and cigarette ashes are the norm, and I wanted the desk top to be ultra protected

I should have know this project was doomed from the start!

I was going to do a cool artsy colage. Finding the images was easy enough, and even getting them tacked on to the table was allright, but then instead of resin I bought...I dont even know. Something for making sculputres. Good thing I did a test run, or the whole desk would have been poop brown.

I did the keyboard tray first, as a kind of tester. A good thing I did, I learned that the resin will actually soak into the edge of the images, causing them to be kind of  seethrough and funky along the edges and any creases, so that was less attractive than I would have hoped. Also, the edge of my images began to curl up, and stick out of the resin.

To add insult to injury, I guess I should have added more catylist, because this tray is now still tacky after 24 hours.

So today I set out with this knowledge to do the main desk. I coated the thing in spray gloss stuff to better water proof it and protect the edges, and then I went to mixing my resin.

I would be doing the whole big desk top now, so I use the remander of my resin, which needed right around 220 drops of catylist.

Counting 220 drops of liquid is almost impossible while breathing in those kinds of fumes...I probably added way to much.

I go and pour out maybe 1/3 of my container on the desk and begin to push it around to a suitable thickness...

then I go back to my contaner...the rest of the resin had turned into a glob!!!!!! There was so much in there with so much catylist, it heated up too quick and reacted WAY to quick.

The brick is now so hot I have it sitting in foil in my bathtub because I am afraid of what it might do to any other surface. Im saying burnie to the touch. I have no idea what to do with this thing.

I had left SOME resin unmixed...I go to try to finish my desk and dont have enough to cover the whole thing, just the important parts, but not the ammount of catylist I should have had really...

In the crazyness it got all over my hands, which is sticky AND scary because this is strong stuff. My boy comes home in 3 days, and I think I ruined his desk.

May this be a lesson to any future resin users. Dont be a dummy like me, mix in small quantities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 02:24:41 PM »

You need a two-part epoxy resin, designed to cover bar tops and such.  You mix equal quantities, it doesn't smell toxic, and it sets up nicer.  They sell it a Michael's.

Sounds like you used casting resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

treabhar
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006 05:57:09 PM »

Oh, that sounds like something that i would do.

Or i would at least attatch my elbow to the table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swear by my Life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine.   

--John Galt
Weemac
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 03:42:38 PM »

i had a resin mishap two days ago, i bought a tub a while ago but never used it so i thought  i'd use it to make a pink elephant into a necklace thing. read instructions upstairs then took it downstairs but forgot the instructions so i didnt bother with hardning stuff. went ok till i tried to move my mold and spilled it on my hands and on the table and a box. still tacky and need to scrap it cause it isnt gonna dry but thats probably good cause it would be stuck to the desk then
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilsarah
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006 08:36:58 PM »

You need a two-part epoxy resin, designed to cover bar tops and such.  You mix equal quantities, it doesn't smell toxic, and it sets up nicer.  They sell it a Michael's.

Sounds like you used casting resin?

Yep, sure did.

All is well now, and the boy is back home and he loves it. I was shopping at dick blick, and I didn't realize there was a difference. I only read up on resin shortly before going out to make my purchase.

C'est la vie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Maruga
Artist Depicts What Wi-Fi Signals Would Look Like With Photos
How to Draw Lucy Eyes
How to Draw Luchia Nanami
How to Draw Lightning McQueen
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...