A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I can't fall asleep in apartments....ever.  (Read 5139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fleshinnertube
« on: August 13, 2006 10:18:19 PM »

Do you guys have any suggestions for making white-walled aparment bedrooms more cozy and homey?
I have a lot of trouble falling asleep in my apartment bedroom. I've been here for years, but it feels like I'm still a vistor in a strange bedroom.  It seems so sterile and uncomfortable. I don't know what to do exactly.

I obviously can't paint the walls. I also don't want to clutter it up with photo collages or nsync posters or anything dorky like that.  i thought i loved the simplicity and cleanliness of white which is why i chose white sheets, but i think all that white might have something to do with me not feeling cozy in my bedroom.

what colors are good 'fall asleep fast' colors?
what colors make you want to jump in bed and sleep for 10 hours straight?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane feebles
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006 10:27:32 PM »

I have pale lilac sheets, and I must say I find them really relaxing. It's even nice when they're hanging on the line on my apartment's balcony, and the whole living room has a soft lilac glow. Soft minty green is also nice for the same reason
You could hang a quilt or nice patterned sheet across your walls with those magic adhesive strips that come off walls- i live by them in my rental.
A plant or two might soften the sterility of the white as well

Hope you sleep tight soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006 10:39:10 PM »

maybe darker colors will help (depending on how big the room is i guess) - somewhere on here there is a post on using starch to put fabric on your wall (here's a link-  http://www.rentaldecorating.com/quick_fix_fabric_on_walls.htm ) supposedly it'll come down without any kind of damage or marks- this is something i plan to test out- one idea i had for my room is putting silhouettes up on the wall or something- enough to make it more homey without it being clutterred....
eh hope i helped some- i have the opposite problem- there is nothing sterile in my room- it's all horrid clutter and mess  Tongue

edited to add link
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006 10:46:49 PM by acidalbatross » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
jane feebles
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006 12:08:43 AM »

Oooh, thanks for the link- I'm in love! and inspired!
Just a 30 cm starched fabric trim around the middle of the room would change it completely
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006 01:22:04 PM »

Do you use your bedroom for other things?  That might be the problem. Ive noticed since I started sleeping in our closet nook i sleep better.  I have a few pictures up that are of things I love. On the back wall ive got a cork board with scrabble tile tacks and a latter with family pics. I use the window sill for a night stand and the window is covered with a dark black curtian. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
dogperson
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006 03:26:34 PM »

i think window covering are a good place to start.  do your window covering leave you with that perfect amount of light that makes you want to stay in bed all day on a saturday?  something soft and translucent or a very light color that can blow in the breeze.  also a fabric wall hanging/tapestry could do the trick.  im a dork, but i really like some one the ones at urban outfitters.  anyway, maybe the lighting is a good place to start.  figure out what you like...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

people person?  no, i'm more of a dog person.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 03:42:00 PM »

I've always read that blues are the most soothing/relaxing colors. Maybe with a little yellow for warmth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006 04:34:34 PM »

actully if the sun comes in your window in the early am, you may want to loose the soft wispy drapes. I know they say blak is a bad color for a bedroom urtain but mines black and keeps out the sun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
tamagotchi
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006 08:25:48 PM »

Um, why can't you paint the walls?  Does your landlord object, or is it just the hassle of it?  Because if you've been living there for years, then I assume you're not moving anytime soon.  I would just paint the room a different color.  If that's really not an option, I would go for drapes.  Our bedroom seems completely different ever since I hung up curtains on all the windows.  I'd also pick out a few nice pieces of art to go on the walls.  We have all kinds of funky paintings and things that we've bought at thrift stores and tag sales, it doesn't just have to be cheesy prints of cafes and stuff from Linen n' Things, or gross posters.  You can find great stuff for cheap, I'd just hit the Salvos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006 08:46:09 PM »

my idea would be to get something ELSE you can paint and put it in the room. I've never lived in a rental.. but if you can mount something on the walls get some small wooden shelves and paint them a nice soothing color or even just one you like. i think red would look nice. and then some clean silver foto frames or put up your favorite stuffies from childhood or even just some ncie baskets to store WIPs (i have tooonsss of those Wink)

good luck, and sweet dreams
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Last Minute Cat Makeup for Halloween
Best New Beauty Products for November
November 2013 NewBeauty TestTube Is Shipping Soon
The Monday Makeover - The Perfect Pink Lip
The Monday Makeover - Perfect Lashes
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...