A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fuzzy wuzzy bag  (Read 6163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abricot
« on: December 22, 2003 07:53:16 PM »

Edit: I explained how I made the bag several replies down....

Phew. I finished this just in time for Christmas (it is a gift for a friend).. Blue is her favorite color and I really dig eyelash yarns, so I knitted this using a strand of Lion Brand Fun Fur and a strand of a generic acrylic.. I did the stripe with two strands of the acrylic... Not pictured but the bag is lined with a light blue fabric. The lining also keeps the bag from warping all to heck...

The bag is so soft!! I had moments while knitting, where I considered hijacking her bag and turning it into a tank top for myself....  Wink

http://www.undertheskysoblue.com/xx/fuzzybag.jpg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 02:19:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
strangelittlemama
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003 02:32:33 PM »

I love it!! I can't wait until I can knit amazing things like that!!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003 01:54:21 PM »

thats so cute!...fuzzy stuff is great...i love the handle too....it makes me wanna learn how to knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
fuzzy_turtle

\m/ Rock out, guy!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003 02:17:02 PM »

what did you make the handle out of. to me, it looks like a bike chain. but then again, i have the eyesite of a mole.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like fuzzy turtles....what can i say?
Goddess
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003 03:31:36 PM »

that is a really cute little bag...it would totally rock in hot pink!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puffy_jacket
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003 05:07:14 PM »

That's a great bag! What stitch did you knit it in? Did you use a pattern, knit it in the round...? Enquiring minds wanna know! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003 06:23:30 PM »

i also saw a bike chain...but i'm not so sure. hah. its cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003 07:00:09 PM »

Thanks for all the praises  Grin... The handles are actually black plastic handles molded to look like bamboo, but I agree in the pic it does look like bike chain!  Shocked Which come to think of it, bike chain would make pretty cool handles *takes note of that* The handles were purchased at Hancock Fabrics for around $4, I've also seen Jo-Ann Fabrics with similar handles...

I did not use a pattern, I just made it up as I went along... It took one whole ball (60 yards) plus a few yards of a second ball of Lion Brand Fun Fur to make the bag (plus I'd estimate 100 yards of the acrylic)... I'm sure you could get away with using only one ball if you made the plain stripe wider or made the whole bag shorter...

The bag is knitted in the round - Using a strand of the fun fur and a strand of the worsted acrylic I cast on 60 stitches using size 15 needles and knitted until it was about 6 inches in length, then I switched the fun fur for another strand of the acrylic, and knitted in a garter stitch for 3 inches... Then I switched the 2nd strand of acrylic for the fun fur and knitted for another 3 inches.... Which made the base of the bag... For the bottom I switched the fun fur yet again for a 2nd strand of the acrylic and knitted for about 4 inches... I cast off the whole bag and sewed the bottom seam together....

While the stripe on the bag is pretty solid I definitely recommend lining the bag like I did, or you may just find your stuff escaping through the stitches... Whenever I knit or sew handbags I make the lining about half an inch shorter than the length of the actual handbag... I found this prevents the bottom of bags from sagging...

I assure any non-knitters or beginner knitters that the bag is a breeze to make... and since I used your basic craft store yarn, the bag was reasonably also priced to make...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Melwasa

Graphic designer, crafter and organizational freak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004 08:28:23 AM »

How did you attach the handles to the bag? I think it is the coolest project and I cannot wait until I finish my blanket I am knitting to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----------
Wasa Dezign
abricot
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004 02:49:11 PM »

How did you attach the handles to the bag? I think it is the coolest project and I cannot wait until I finish my blanket I am knitting to try this!

I used a strand of the plain acrylic and just sewed the handles onto the bag...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian Billick Reveals His Motto
Laurie Beth Jones Talks About Jesus Career Counselor
Jennifer Weiner and Greer Hendricks Talk About Fly Away Home
Play Dead Book Trailer Short Version
Mem Fox Reads from The Goblin and The Empty Chair
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...