A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone from Calgary?  (Read 3741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bombshell-d

welcome to the ultra-lounge

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2004 08:37:19 PM »

Hey there!
I know that there is already a Calgary thread but just thought I would revive it a bit since its dated since January!  Just wondering what kinda crafters are lurking out there in Cowtown and if anyone has any good places to go for craft fairs.  Maybe an organization of one should be in the works!
Thanks Ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No girl can resist lying naked on white fur rug - Bunny Yeager "Glamour Photography"
Leanna
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004 09:57:13 PM »

Hey Hey i'm from calgary  Grin I actually just spent the afternoon at Micheals Craft store buying spray on fabric paint that i'm using to make an orlando bloom pillowcase for my friends birthday. I haven't found any amazing craft stores or even craft fairs around, i'd love to maybe hook up with some fellow crafters to share ideas and such! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bombshell-d

welcome to the ultra-lounge

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004 10:07:15 PM »

Hi!
Haha...ohhh Michaels.  I boycott that store.  Mainly because I used to work there! Wink
I really wish there was some cool craft fairs around here.  Basically its just dried flowers and crap like that.  Nothing really young and cool.  It would be awesome to set up a fair or show sometime.  This conservative city needs some spicing err...crafting up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No girl can resist lying naked on white fur rug - Bunny Yeager "Glamour Photography"
kitsyv

Vic Park Hocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005 07:52:25 AM »

If you are looking for something young and fun you guys should come down to The Broken City for Sunday Crafternoons!  Please check out the Calgary...Anyone? thread...all the details are posted there. It's a hot awesome time ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't think of something witty, lie.
meli-melo
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005 06:54:25 AM »

I am from Calgary too and I agree that we need a more youthful craft fair - like some of the awesome ones they have in the U.S.

These days I am too busy with school to do any hardcore crafting, I have mostly just been making postcards. Once this semester is over I will dust off my poor neglected sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

florabunda
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005 07:49:10 PM »

hi. I've heard that there is a great store in calgary where -you can buy silk flowers at wholesale if you have a business license. Anyone know where this might be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JiKo
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005 08:56:55 PM »

yes, i do its called.... timothy e i think but you need a florists licence.... HOWEVER if you want fresh flowers ( not too crafteable but meh) there is a secret.... on saturday mornings go to a place called the flower market... it opens at 8 am? and get there asap..... it just off macleod near chinook in one of the industrial areas.... flowers are there from the past week, like its a warehouse for florists in the week and they get a new shipment on sunday so they clear out all the flowers for cheap. like CHEAP! like for my moms dinner parties and stuff we get 200-300 roses at our house. check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
powderpuff

Thats so green.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005 09:37:59 PM »

I'm from Calgary! Does anyone know of any neat vintage stores here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005 05:02:10 PM »

I'm from Calgary too!  I haven't had time to properly explore the vintage stores yet, but there is a REALLY excellent Antique Mall on MacLeod trail.  You can get pulp novels and stuff there, and there's a huge flea market right next door.  It rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005 09:41:21 AM »

If you can get enough people together to split the cost, you can sell things at the Folk Festival that happens in July. I handful of my peers from ACAD are doing that. There's also the Liliac Festival but I believe the deadline has already passed for submissions.

My problem with the few craft fairs I've attended in Calgary is that they aren't a good environment to sell my work. The Calgary consumer population is a little cheap, and the idea of charging $100+ for a hand-dyed hand-spun hand-knit shawl is "crazy". Though, I think that might just be the mentality surrounding craft work to begin with.

And now I'll stop babbling Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://judyandthedream.blogspot.com - a fibre and textiles weblog!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Setup 1 Click Photo Editing In Photoshop
How To Change Your Eye Color Using Photoshop
how to Use Camtasia Studio 6
How To Make Your Videos HD Using Camtasia Studio
How To Improve The Quality Of Your Video When Recording
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...