A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,825
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: McCall's M5094 (twirly skirted dress)  (Read 31319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008 09:38:00 AM »

Very pretty, I have a similar pattern that I tried and i tossed it because of the fabric. Your fabric choice was on the mark. So now I'm all inspired again to give it another go. Hope mine turns out as pretty as yours did (this time).

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008 02:25:40 PM »

hi - is this the same as Mcalls Easy Stitch n save m5292?
Im a beginner and so far have not managed to make anything that fits or i would wear out in public  Sad

However i started this one tonight- got as far as cutting out al the paper pieces (TOOK AN HOUR) but have give up for the night now!

Visit my blog at: http://knitwituk.blogspot.com/
I love to do personal swaps Smiley
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008 05:16:07 AM »

I have this pattern, might give it a look. Cute dress!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008 09:47:41 AM »

I just finished (except for the hem) this dress yesterday, and while I had a few problems, most of them were my own fault.  The straps are too far apart, but I shortened them, and that helped to compensate.  I also just used an invisible zipper (my first!) and it was too easy!  I will definitely be using this pattern again.

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009 11:07:26 AM »

Beautiful dress. Has anyone tried the other bodice option? I'm planning on making it up in a cotton print.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009 02:20:01 PM »

I'm just finishing my second version of this dress, and being a wee bit more experienced now, let me add this:

First, you do have to fold the fabric funny to get the front skirt part to fit on 45" wide fabric, but I got it to work.  It involved folding the fabric width wise, instead of length wise, and then unfolding it after that part was cut out.  Course, I also used the larger sized cutting layout, which may have something to do with it.

Second, the OP is dead right when she says the straps are too far apart.  I decidedly do not have narrow shoulders, and the things don't cover my bra straps, and were the zipper any looser, they'd fall down my arms.  Next time (and there will be a next time, as I love this pattern that much!  and fabric choice does make a huge difference in the appearance of the dress) I'll set that pattern piece at least 1/2" over the fold, ommitting 1" altogether from the center.

Finally, lining the whole dress (as opposed to just the bodice and midriff) doesn't take a whole lot of extra time, and it gives the skirt a little extra body.  Just an idea.

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009 10:19:54 AM »

I almost bought this pattern last weekend, well M5292.  I am teaching myself to sew and I'm not sure about the zipper.  After reading this I think I will get it after all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009 10:21:55 AM by ansley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009 09:18:16 AM »

it looks great, also LOVE the print Smiley
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009 04:01:43 PM »

I just made this dress (well, view F, with the contrast band and sleeves) earlier this week, and both the OP and Aislynn are correct in saying that the shoulder straps are set too far apart. I had to wear it without braless because there was no way to manipulate the straps of both so that my bra didn't show. However, I did find out because of this that the gathers at the bust and the lining make for great support. Pfeffermint: the cutting layout doesn't say to cut two front pieces; you're supposed to pin the front down, cut around all but the center front, flip it over, re-pin, and cut the rest. That's why the instructions only referred to two skirt pieces.

Other than the straps, the only problem I had with this project was not the pattern but with the fabric I chose for the lining. It was too slippery and ending up cut a totally different shape than the bodice and midriff pieces.
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009 11:35:35 AM »

So  many great tips for this dress! Thanks everyone.

Dd & I are just starting to make this & we're having a duh moment reading the pattern. We're stuck on a basic question - when do you sew the skirt to the top? The instructions just before the zipper tell me to pin skirt to bodice but nothing about sewing. Then the zipper & then the hem instructions. My eyes must be skipping a line of text somewhere but we can't find it  Huh

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Grads on Location
How to Take Underwater Photographs
How to Create an Easy Business Portrait
How to Calibrate Your Camera Part 3/3
How to Shoot a Ballerina Session
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Party
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Needle Minder
The Legacy of Bob Ross

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...