A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: McCall's M5094 (twirly skirted dress)  (Read 34140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pfeffermint_ish
« on: August 13, 2006 09:26:12 AM »

Hello all,

I made this dress recently from this crazy print I had. mccalls M5094, view d. its on the very top left

so here's mine:

front

Back

Hem detail, i decided to put lace at the bottom

and with this white denim jacket, the way I plan on wearing it.

I'm happy with the end result, but the pattern was iffy. I'm sure my less than perfect sewing skills have something to do with this, however, for future reference:

the measurements listed on the sizing chart had my exact body measurements in one size, but I still needed darts in the back to make it fit.

the skirt front is not meant to be cut in two pieces, but it wont fit on the fold of 45inch wide fabric. the cutting guide has you cut four pieces for the skirt, but the insrtuctions only mention three pieces. However, sewing the two front pieces together, even with a 5/8 inch seam didn't through anything off.

I found that the distance between shoulder straps is about an inch and a half too wide, but I may just have narrow shoulders. Just taking in a bit in the middle of the pattern might fix it.

That said, the instructions given for putting in a zipper were painless and gave a nive, hidden zipper.

Don't let me put you off this patterm, because it is very nice and i really like the dress. I am planning on making another one, this time out of green satiny stuff

if there are any questions, please ask
pfeffermint_ish

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"rabbit has Brain"
"yes, rabbit has Brain"
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that thats why he never understands anything"
hoontan
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006 09:49:21 AM »

I love the dress. I wish I can sew. I wish I have $ for sewing machine. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maradoll32
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006 01:13:02 PM »

Wowza, That dress pattern looks like it was made for you! It really accentuates your waist and looks retro/modern at the same time!

Really impressed - make more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006 03:38:17 PM »

That turned out great... good job muddling through the directions.  As of yet I have never run into questionable instructions, but after reading so many people's problems I'm sure I will sooner than later.

I LOVE the fabric, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006 10:13:11 PM »

Such a pretty dress! You really did a nice job, and kudos to you for getting through the problems w/ it!
Now I want that pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006 11:23:21 AM »

super cute!  i love the pattern and the lace trim is a nice touch.  was that your first time doing zippers?  i'm scared to death of zippers.... in fact, i keep avoiding cute patterns just so i dont' have to deal with them.  but you're encouraging me, i just might give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

manika
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 11:28:51 AM »

great fabric and it fits beautifully!  i had some similar problems with a different mccall's pattern too.  i'm glad you made it work for yourself.  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
asbeautyfaded

Queen of the Pirates

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006 07:23:07 AM »

Adorable dress. It looks really cute on you. I love the thicker straps. Good job. I might need this pattern. Thanks for the advice and forewarning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates -Mark Twain
HelloDolly
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006 06:54:32 PM »

I just started cutting out this dress...

(this is my first post!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronikavsyou

i like to think i was born in the wrong decade.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006 11:27:58 AM »

that fabric is so cute. where's the fabric from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

authentic vintage clothing, 40's - 70's.

http://sweettoothvintage.etsy.com
Diana12345
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006 01:09:30 PM »

I almost bought this exact pattern today at Hancock's. They have Mccall's patterns on for 99 cents, and I'm going back tomorrow to get some more (since they only let you get five at a time).

Anyway, your results look great so I might consider getting this pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sakhmet
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006 07:42:56 PM »

I love the look with the white jacket - very summery and city outfit-ish. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muskratbyte

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006 10:07:51 AM »

Gorgeous!  This looks fantastic on you!

I bought the same pattern, and I cut it out on Friday, and I've been sewing on it off and on since then.  I'm making the same type, but doing the one with the different edge fabric on bottom.  It's the first thing I've done with a full lining on the bodice.

I'm glad to see this had some ease it in actually. . .

So far, I'm surprised at how well it's coming out. I've got the top sewn together, and I'm working on the skirt now.  BUT, I have to stop  Embarrassed .  The kids want to go to Nana's to go swimming.  I hope mine turns out as well as yours! I'll have to check the skirt, and see if I have the same problem you had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffypinkthings
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006 08:36:24 AM »

WOW! This pattern just arrived in the post today.
Can you tell me are the sizings American. I'm in UK so these would be different right?
I bought pattern size 4-6-8-10
So I assume that it's US sizes as there are not many size 4 girls that's for sure! (That's like a us 0!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006 08:57:39 PM »

fluffypinkthings, I imagine you've worked out the measurements by now, but here's the McCall's Pattern sizing page: http://www.mccallpattern.com/charts/bmisses.htm

I check each brand's sizing before buying a pattern and *definitely* before cutting. The sizes sold in stores now are so different from the sizes on patterns. I wear a US 10, but I'm a 14, 16 or even an 18 in pattern sizes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006 11:31:40 PM »

very very pretty! I like the print... it's cold, snowy and windy here and that dress looks very warm weather inviting!

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waltermelon
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006 12:44:15 PM »

"less than perfect sewing skills". . .

I am definitely a beginner sewer, although I'm ok with the zipper deal. BUT I have not had great luck with patterns for myself (ok, with the one skirt pattern I tried) but did ok with the pattern I used for my 18 month old's overalls.

So how less than perfect are your skills, i.e. comparable to someone making a few easy things for about 4 months? I LOVE the look of your dress, but is it a more intermediate pattern? I think I'm getting a dressform for XMas, so maybe that will help get things fitted right.

Thanks and enjoy your beautiful dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Claireja
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006 06:33:14 PM »

I'm having serious dress envy at the moment.  I'm an absolute beginner sewer and should be let nowhere near a real pattern.  However, seeing this is gonna inspire me to keep practicing on the little stuff so I can work my way up to something this pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesydish
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007 12:19:26 PM »

i just got this pattern, i'm making it for practice in an odd cotton print with old mirrors on it (hope that made sense) and eventually for reals in a lighter tree print fabric. (i'm doing veiw D)

i had the same issue with the skirt pieces not fitting on a 45" wide fabric.  but because i'm just doing this to get the fit right now, i'm doing the dress F bottom, which has a contrast band. only i'm just going to do the band in the same print and not really worry about it...

i'm oging to vietnam for a couple weeks, so i'll be stuck at the waiting-to-be-sewn stage for a while, but i think it looks like a really fun pattern, and i cant wait to see what everyone makes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stevesgal
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007 06:14:50 PM »

Awesome dress and it looks great on you.  I am certainly looking for this pattern as soon as I can get to the store. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cha.cha.cha.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007 10:58:58 AM »

Thanks for the in-depth review, it's really appreciated! ALso, your outcome is amazing, I'm really impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog!  http://nomoresweaters.blogspot.com

how do you catch a unique squirrel?............. u-nique up on it.
chaoticpassion
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007 06:59:25 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this seller is using the same pattern! I love all the possibilities!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIY-STAR-WARS-EMPIRE-Swing-Halter-Dress-Fruits-80s-LG_W0QQitemZ300070739074QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my site at www.mybunnygoboom.com
rachelily
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007 05:32:51 PM »

that is such pretty fabric you chose!  and i love the scalloped lace on the bottom.  you must go to a picnic in that dress.

REALLY nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lets make us all beautiful
dropdeadred77
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007 12:13:41 AM »

I just got this pattern - your version makes me want to try it right away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelloDolly
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007 07:12:52 PM »

I've made this dress before and I wasn't very happy with the end result--the chest area was to big and the straps were to long! I have since learned that I am rather short waisted. I think that I want to try it again (with some alterations) because yours is just so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EvilTadpole
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007 11:13:18 AM »

I just added this to my wists!  So so pretty.

And Hello Dolly - your problems with the pattern are actually what I need, I have a large chest and a long torso - I've had so many problems with short straps on dresses I buy in the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laughingsister
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008 11:27:20 PM »

I am so envious, you did a great job on this project. It looks perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucie
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008 01:59:23 PM »

I just saw this pattern on the McCalls website and hoped somebody had reviewed it here, thanks!
You have a lovely dress too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kami2000
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008 08:02:04 PM »

I've made this dress too (the exact same one in the pattern) and I also found the straps too wide. I may have narrow shoulders too but next time I'll adjust the placement of the back straps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilaboo4
a lil bit of heaven & a lil bit of hell yeah

More normal than I should be!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008 12:40:31 PM »

I bought this pattern, along with a wrap dress pattern, months ago... I have the pieces cut for the wrap dress but it was so daunting and my fears of mucking it up have me at a stand still... The sizing is off and before I do irreparable damage I stopped working on it until I can figure it out... I think I started a project too advanced for my simple skill level lol

I'm very new to patterns (I made scrubs for my sister about 5 or 6 years ago for halloween and they were so over-sized they fit my mom... so yeah.. not so good with patterns...) and now I'm too skittish to continue... I feel guilty when I mess things up, I hate to waste any kind of fabric!

Now that the weather is warming (ever so slightly in the garden state!) I think I need to just suck it up and make my dress!!! Good to know that the zipper instructions are "painless" bc I've avoided it thus far...

If I'm not too ashamed of it maybe I'll post a picture lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharob57
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008 09:38:00 AM »

Very pretty, I have a similar pattern that I tried and i tossed it because of the fabric. Your fabric choice was on the mark. So now I'm all inspired again to give it another go. Hope mine turns out as pretty as yours did (this time).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEW, REST, & PLAY. THAT'S DA LIFE!
knitwitUK
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008 02:25:40 PM »

hi - is this the same as Mcalls Easy Stitch n save m5292?
Im a beginner and so far have not managed to make anything that fits or i would wear out in public  Sad

However i started this one tonight- got as far as cutting out al the paper pieces (TOOK AN HOUR) but have give up for the night now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at: http://knitwituk.blogspot.com/
I love to do personal swaps Smiley
_xStacey
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008 05:16:07 AM »

I have this pattern, might give it a look. Cute dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008 09:47:41 AM »

I just finished (except for the hem) this dress yesterday, and while I had a few problems, most of them were my own fault.  The straps are too far apart, but I shortened them, and that helped to compensate.  I also just used an invisible zipper (my first!) and it was too easy!  I will definitely be using this pattern again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
contrariwise
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009 11:07:26 AM »

Beautiful dress. Has anyone tried the other bodice option? I'm planning on making it up in a cotton print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009 02:20:01 PM »

I'm just finishing my second version of this dress, and being a wee bit more experienced now, let me add this:

First, you do have to fold the fabric funny to get the front skirt part to fit on 45" wide fabric, but I got it to work.  It involved folding the fabric width wise, instead of length wise, and then unfolding it after that part was cut out.  Course, I also used the larger sized cutting layout, which may have something to do with it.

Second, the OP is dead right when she says the straps are too far apart.  I decidedly do not have narrow shoulders, and the things don't cover my bra straps, and were the zipper any looser, they'd fall down my arms.  Next time (and there will be a next time, as I love this pattern that much!  and fabric choice does make a huge difference in the appearance of the dress) I'll set that pattern piece at least 1/2" over the fold, ommitting 1" altogether from the center.

Finally, lining the whole dress (as opposed to just the bodice and midriff) doesn't take a whole lot of extra time, and it gives the skirt a little extra body.  Just an idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
ansley
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009 10:19:54 AM »

I almost bought this pattern last weekend, well M5292.  I am teaching myself to sew and I'm not sure about the zipper.  After reading this I think I will get it after all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009 10:21:55 AM by ansley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jonaosk
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009 09:18:16 AM »

it looks great, also LOVE the print Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KelseyPaige
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009 04:01:43 PM »

I just made this dress (well, view F, with the contrast band and sleeves) earlier this week, and both the OP and Aislynn are correct in saying that the shoulder straps are set too far apart. I had to wear it without braless because there was no way to manipulate the straps of both so that my bra didn't show. However, I did find out because of this that the gathers at the bust and the lining make for great support. Pfeffermint: the cutting layout doesn't say to cut two front pieces; you're supposed to pin the front down, cut around all but the center front, flip it over, re-pin, and cut the rest. That's why the instructions only referred to two skirt pieces.

Other than the straps, the only problem I had with this project was not the pattern but with the fabric I chose for the lining. It was too slippery and ending up cut a totally different shape than the bodice and midriff pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hornblower
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009 11:35:35 AM »

So  many great tips for this dress! Thanks everyone.

Dd & I are just starting to make this & we're having a duh moment reading the pattern. We're stuck on a basic question - when do you sew the skirt to the top? The instructions just before the zipper tell me to pin skirt to bodice but nothing about sewing. Then the zipper & then the hem instructions. My eyes must be skipping a line of text somewhere but we can't find it  Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ali_squidz
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009 06:11:09 PM »

I just picked up this pattern tonight. I thought I would surf around and see if there were any tips on it. This is my very first attempt at sewing with a pattern. I figured I would stick with plain black fabric and just go as easy as possible. Any tips or tricks of the trade? Am I going to be in over my head on this one? Walmart had it for $6.97 or something.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5094.htm
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009 06:11:52 PM by ali_squidz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avalon_Princes27
Teenage Stitch Witch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009 10:30:04 PM »

I'm Wearing this dress at the moment. Like everyone else the straps were waaaay too far apart. I accidently cut the bodice pattern too small, and evenm so the top of the bodice was way too big. I ended up sewing extra strips of fabric on either side of the zipper to make it fit correctly, then put four seperate darts at the top of the bodice to make it fitted. All in all though it is a good pattern, I'll be making another soon and will just make sure I redo the tops of the bodice so the straps sit closer together and change the angles on the bodice so I don't have to add darts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catiegator
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009 10:30:13 PM »

I was looking at this pattern, I thought it was really cute. It looks great on you! I may buy it afterall..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EverSoSplendid

Hello! I'm Lindsey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014 09:26:38 AM »

Thanks in part to your gorgeous dress, I'm working on a review of this pattern as well!  I did view C for a shower I was hosting. 

I had the same issues with the skirt pieces.  I also cut mine into 4 panels and have no issues lining it up with the bodice piece.  I also had the same issue with the bust being too large, but was able to pretty easily and painlessly take it in. 

Thanks so much for your review!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmibram
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2016 02:53:59 AM »

Ravishing is the word that best describes this lovely dress for girls. The print has a girlish charm and the fabric looks fine too. The lace trims on the hem add to the appeal of the dress and make a great idea for embellishment. The best thing that I like about this dress is that it fits so well. Looks so pretty on you that I have made up my mind to have a similar one for myself! Though I have not always been comfortable with these DIY patterns but I would definitely want to try out this one, after going through your instructions.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...