A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,529
Currently Running With Scissors:
322 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Awkward doll clothing question...  (Read 711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xaneth
« on: August 13, 2006 07:36:14 AM »

Well here's the deal... it's a friend's birthday soon, and I want to make him a doll of his game character from the game Puzzle Pirates. Problem is, I have no idea how I'm going to make a swashbuckler's jacket for a doll. (Let alone actually make the doll... >.<). You get a picture!

(I probably won't do the fez. Tongue)

Any help would be appreciated, but I understand it's not exactly a common thing to ask help on. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
Gryph

Starving Student

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 02:22:38 PM »

Doesn't look too bad, a pretty standard jacket... I'd say you'd need about five parts, and maybe some fimo/embroidery floss for the details.

You'd need the two front pieces (A) cut to fit around the front of the doll (with seam allowance) and a back piece (B) that will probably need a gusset to avoid odd folds (I made my first doll jacket sans gusset, and it looked weird.) You can make the sleeves wider at the bottom than at the top (c) and then cut separate strips for the overturned cuffs (or try turning up the sleeves, but they might wrinkle too much at a small scale. For the collar, I'd just cut a roughly-the-right-length white strip, pin it, then cut it to fit. All the small gold details could be embroidered/sewn on, and then just make the sash out of grey fabric and tie it 'round Smiley

If you've never made clothes before, I'd suggest buying a cheap jacket/t-shirt pattern for full sized people, and learning from that. While you're at the fabric store (fabricland for me, they usually have discount patterns cheap, if you aren't picky about what style you get) you could pick up some cheap fabric ends to experiment with, and work out the kinks in your pattern Smiley

I hope that helped some, I'm not much good at tutorials but that's pretty much how I make my plushie clothes- basic patterns, crude drawings, and lots of guess-and-check Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xaneth
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006 12:31:59 AM »

Hey, thanks for your help! I messed around with some felt and came up with something like this:

I'm pretty proud of it seeing as I've never ever sewn and outfit/doll before, but it's a test. I think I'll try your idea and see how they turn out. I'm a perfectionist, so he won't be getting anything less than perfect. Cheesy Thanks again!

Edit: After rereading your post Gryph, can you explain the gusset thing again? Not sure I follow... Undecided
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006 11:28:46 AM by Xaneth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
Gryph

Starving Student

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006 02:42:58 PM »

Whoops, I don't think gusset is actually the right word, and I can't remember the right one. Essentially what you do, though, is cut a triangle out of the fabric and sew the two sides of the resulting V shape together. It helps if you're getting a lot of wrinkles on the back of a jacket, and to give it more shape, but at that scale with felt you likely won't need one.

It looks cute so far, though Cheesy The pants/shirt look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006 06:33:08 PM »

I LOVE the sleeves on that tunic! That looks great. And you made the undershirt, too...Are all of those made of felt? And did you stitch them with yarn, or thread?
Good job, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xaneth
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006 12:02:21 AM »

Felt and thread. Wool for the hair. Smiley But I made a messy job knowing it wouldn't be the final. Smiley
And thanks again Gryph!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 4/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 2/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 3/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 5/7
How to Crochet People Holding Hands Borders
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...