A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sides and Back ideas for booth  (Read 7828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

happyOCgirl
« on: August 13, 2006 01:11:21 AM »

Hi crafty people!
I started a little side business last year.  I did a couple of local craft fairs with a lot of success.  I am now doing the Sugar Plum craft fair in Sept. and Nov.  I need some ideas for walls.  My instructions say I need a side and a back.  I am pretty handy, so I can build something (but it needs to be light because I'm hauling it and putting it together).  Here are pics from my booth last year.  It's all vintage and retro goodies. 
Thanks for all your help!!
Carrie

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006 12:34:32 PM »

Lattice or pegboard.  Wood arbour lattice is light and makes good sides (and with S hooks you can hang things off it), hinge those to a pegboard back (so you can hang things there and it's a bit more solid) and you have light sides and back.

of course having a small truck suddenly becomes a really nice thing to have then.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
jpalerino
Designs By Jamie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006 02:19:37 PM »

I used old shutter doors.  They were a little heavy, but I had someone help me haul them in and then I was able to hinge them myself.  I have the holes predrilled on the sides and hinges already attached on one door, so its ready to attach the other hinge once I get there. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom Handbags & Accessories
www.designsbyjamie.etsy.com  - My etsy site
www.designsjamie.blogspot.com - Blog
www.flickr.com/photos/designsbyjamie - Photo gallery
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006 04:02:10 PM »

ideally you want to avoid driving screws over and over into the same holes, jamie - eventually the holes will get too loose to hold the screws.  you can get loose pin hinges at the hardware and leave both sides attached, pulling the pin out of the middle to move them (you may need a small hammer and a big nail for this part)

i have a display system i built myself out of bamboo that is uber-light (i carted all my goods across town on foot in a hand truck one time, to give you an idea)  and pretty straightforward to assemble - it's a four sided square of bamboo, with a sewn cover.  the bamboo bolts together on the corners with triangles of plywood and 1/4" bolts.  if you are handy don't be afraid to try making something to use from scratch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jpalerino
Designs By Jamie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006 04:22:04 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the pin hinges.  I never thought of that!  I'm heading to home depot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom Handbags & Accessories
www.designsbyjamie.etsy.com  - My etsy site
www.designsjamie.blogspot.com - Blog
www.flickr.com/photos/designsbyjamie - Photo gallery
rachelsue20
Freshly Squeezed Flash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006 09:00:13 PM »

other great and cheap options would be pvc pipe from the home depot!  It's crazy cheap (less than a buck a yard), super light, can be cut easily with a small saw (also cheap at home depot) and you can buy little corner and joint attachments to put the whole thing together like tinker toys.  You can use pvc glue to put together joints you want to stay permanently attached, or simply rely on friction to keep the pieces together (it holds together really well if it's not bearing a load).  You can be really simple and get a fabric shower curtain and rings from wal-mart or you can sew a curtain to loop over the top and bottom.  PVC is awesome because it's so light and so cheap, and you can even paint it different colors if you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your one stop shop for custom modified USB flash drives... get your flash on...
happyOCgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 11:55:16 PM »

I just wanted to update my original post.  I used PVC pipe and black sheets I got at Walmart.
Thanks for looking!
Carrie
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m287/happyOCgirl/IMG_0673.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006 07:01:45 PM »

Thats an awsome idea happyOCgirl! I get the draping idea, but what did you use for your corner posts and end posts?  I think I'm going to go with this idea. It seems simple enough and easy to set up. Please let me know what you used for your corner posts and what was the diameter of your pvc for the "rod" sections?

Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
minivillage
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006 12:58:11 AM »

I just wanted to update my original post.  I used PVC pipe and black sheets I got at Walmart.
Thanks for looking!
Carrie
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m287/happyOCgirl/IMG_0673.jpg

I love your displays! and that pink n black with the bows is Wonderful!
did you have to make feet at the corner and ends with the pvc pipe to get it to stand?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006 03:18:59 PM »

Hi everyone! I want to thankd happyocgirl for her advise about the pvc booth set up. It worked so easily, me and my 7 year old neice set it up in no time! I got many compliments on the look of my booth. I wanted it to look professional and it worked. I sold over $500.00! Thanks to everyone who advised about accepting credit cards at fairs. I made so many more sales using this method...it was pretty easy too! Everyone here is just great, THANKS!!!

Here's some pictures of my booth...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007 01:29:25 PM by sewingcybermom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Look at the Works and Shows of Abstract Sculptor David Altmejd
Tom Otterness on the International Art World
Tom Otterness on the Gallery System
Tom Otterness on Learning From Travel
How to Turn and Carve Wood
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...