A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 307,973
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sideways Spencer from IK Fall 2004?  (Read 9568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jacktastic
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007 08:31:58 AM »

CNP,
Did you ever work out how to lengthen this? I have 1/2 of the left sleeve done, and I love it, but the more I look at the picture, the more I know I'm not going to be able to pull off "cropped."

did anyone finish this? would love to see pics!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

zknits
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007 08:33:20 PM »

i would absolutely love to join you...but i have to get the magazine first!  looking forward to seeing your progress!
z
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007 08:34:58 PM by zknits » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
Riki
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007 11:22:24 PM »

I would absolutely love to join too ... my niece would love it AND I have good yarn for it in my stash .... BUT there aren't any back copies of that issue available, so HOW can we join? *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zknits
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007 07:24:59 PM »

i spent some time trying to find out how to buy single patterns and have concluded that apparently i'm slow....so...how do you do it?  anyone have the link??  haha
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007 08:16:36 PM »

It used to be you could contact Interweave for the individual pattern for $4 plus shipping, but they changed their pages with that info.  I've contacted Annie Modesitt about that pattern before, but her life is SO busy now with her hubby's medical problems, I'm not surprised she's forgotten about preparing it for sale directly from her site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007 03:17:09 PM »

Woo-hoo!  The ever-so-kind, lovely ladies at my LYS copied the pattern for me on the condition that I buy the yarn for it from them!  Grin Grin Grin

I picked out a lovely shade of blue Cascade 220.

There is errata on this pattern at www.anniemodesitt.com.

Once again, math.  Smallest size is 36" :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007 12:28:30 PM »

So... I cast on for this for 36". Now I have a problem.

The chart doesn't create this problem for the 40" or 44" sizes.
Only size 36. Sad

It starts at row 3.  Traditionally when you add a yo, you decrease it somewhere.  It's quite clear from the chart that this is supposed to happen symmetrically on both sides of the sleeve in pairs.  Except if I follow the chart as written, I'm going to end up with one side growing with yo's, and the other side shrinking with k2tog's. Sad

What to do?

Wait, wait, duurh! Sleeve eventually gets seamed!  Doesen't need to be symmetrical at this point I understand now! Smiley

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007 01:22:03 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nashira
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007 04:14:06 PM »

Oh, I am SO jumping on this KAL!!

I found a pile of knitting magazines on the way home the other day (that's right, just sitting there with a free sign!) and one of the mags was the IK Fall 2004 edition. I totally fell in love with the sideways spencer, so I'm excited to see other people are loving it too!

Hopefully this month I'll find time to buy the yarn and join you guys!! Can't wait to see some pics... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007 12:00:35 AM »

I found a pile of knitting magazines on the way home the other day (that's right, just sitting there with a free sign!) and one of the mags was the IK Fall 2004 edition. I totally fell in love with the sideways spencer, so I'm excited to see other people are loving it too!

Lucky you! Smiley  It's a very hard-to-find issue.

Update on progress.  Found the proscribed charting for the 36" size too much a headache, so I modified. Liked it better as a single-direction cable in the waves, so I modified that, too. Smiley

Color isn't true to life, but that's okay.

(imageshack seems to have eaten the pic from the first time I uploaded).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007 08:24:09 AM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007 09:12:23 AM »

So I ripped back and started over, this time casting on in the round so that the difficulty of the size 36 chart wouldn't kill me.

Here is the new progress:

To transition from the round to flat for the body, I ended on an odd row, cast on the WS, worked an even row back, cast on the RS, then continued with the chart. (I tried ending on the even & that just ended up reversing the chart--odd rows WS, even rows RS--NOT a good idea!)

I don't know if you can tell from the shot, but I've decided to forgo rows 25-48 because I don't like the look of the transition.  Makes the chart easier to memorize. Smiley

CNP,
Did you ever work out how to lengthen this? I have 1/2 of the left sleeve done, and I love it, but the more I look at the picture, the more I know I'm not going to be able to pull off "cropped."

To lengthen, simply cast on more for sts the body, counting them to match with your pattern repeats +1 for the selvedge st.

Currently mine is a bit longer, but I also didn't increase as much for the sleeves (stopped at 54 sts). I cast on 41 sts. you should be able to guess the length by using the width of your sleeve repeats as a guide/gauge swatch. Smiley

the number of stitches you cast on for the right front is 1/2 your total sts minus (the total of 6+the nunber of stitches you decreased the left front for your size). (for me, that was 136/2 - [6 + 6--for small] = 56sts).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007 12:50:43 AM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...