A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help with my prom dress.  (Read 1390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NoThimbles
« on: November 24, 2006 04:42:23 PM »

Hi, I have been lurking about on this site for ages and ages and finanlly now I have the occasion to post.

For starters, I am not entirely new to sewing, but most of what I do is by pattern (with tiny modifications, of course XD) or is so simple I can make it up as I go along. To give you an idea of my medium skill I have sewn three kimono, four corsets, a few casual dresses, many different styles of skirts, a set of jedi robes, a fully length full lined black wool cloak (by far the hardest because the lining was a two-way stretch material), and little purses and knick-knacks innumerable.

Now, I have decided it is time to graduate to making my own prom dress and for this coming April, and for once have not procrastinated. I am planning ahead of time, and need some help from more experienced craftsters.

What I want to make is this:
- A lavender silky/satiny skirt that sort of is gathered up in places so that it falls in drapes. I saw a costume pattern for such a skirt ages ago in JoAnn's that was for Civil War reenacments but I cannot remember who the maker of the pattern was.
- A skirt that goes underneath the first skirt that is made of black pinstripe material, the stripes on the seperate panels of which meet diagonally where the overskirt is drawn up. I haven't seen any sort of pattern for this, but I think it will be relatively easy; it's just a matter of having twice as many panels as there are drapes and I can use that to make a basic skirt that is full at the bottom. Also, now that I think about the fullness, I will most likely sew in some sort of crinoline since I don't intend to make a hoop skirt to wear underneath.
- A top made of the same lavender silky/satiny material as the overskirt that I want essentially to look like the bodice of a Greek dress, traditionally loose-fitting, but with my modification of being form-fitting except in the front where the neckline drapes.
-An underbust corset in the black pinstripe to hide where the skirt meets the top.

I have my accessories already, I think. I have got some beautiful nearly shoulder-length lavender gloves that I got at a consignment shop, some great black slingback heels with a rounded toe and little tiny bows, and a black top hat that Neil Gaiman (the writing god) signed at a book signing with a silver sharpie.

I am sewing my boyfriend a black kimono to wear, which will have little lavender accents.

What I most need help on is the overskirt. I have done a Greek-style dress so the top is no problem, the underskirt should be simple enough, and I have enough experience with corsets to help me with the underbust one, but the draped overskirt I don't even know how to approach. I am going to continue to look for the pattern I had seen, and experiment with making a muslin copy first.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions?

Thanks, Emily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
o0katiecat0o
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006 05:34:44 PM »

If you need help or need me to translate my kick ass paint skills PM me. Ill help but I dont feel like typing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I haven't been on in a while.
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006 05:55:58 PM »

I think I know what you're talking about for the skirt and I think I've seen them before - either in the bridal section or in the costume section. 

*Please hold while I search for your request*

Patterns:
McCall 4090
Simplicity 4269

You sound like an ambitious sewer!  Makes everything more fun! 

Hope I could help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
NoThimbles
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006 06:21:01 AM »

Wow. Thank you guys so much. It actually is the McCall's pattern. I thought I had looked through theirs, but I guess I had missed it. Anywho, after I get off work I am heading to JoAnn's to look at some patterns and fabric prices. I have set aside some money from each pay period, so by the time it comes to buying the fabric, which apparently will be about 5 1/2 yards of each fabric for the skirt alone, I think I will be able to make it work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
o0katiecat0o
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006 08:17:17 AM »

Aw that was my #1 design. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I haven't been on in a while.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006 10:15:18 AM »

one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress
Craft Challenge #117 Announced – Gingerbread House Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...