So I finally did it. My camera isn't working so no pics yet, but it actually came out the right size for a grown-up head. The only thing I'll alter if I make another adult-sized Raw Chicken Viking Hat is to make the drumsticks a bit bigger (they look kinda dinky on the bigger hat).
The pattern is mostly the same as the baby one with these few adjustments:
- with 3.75mm circular needles (US5), cast on 102 st.
- do 6 rounds seed stitch
- switch to 4mm circular (US6) needles and do 24 rounds in the 4-row gooseflesh pattern (as in the original pattern)
- *k2tog, k15, place marker* repeat all the way around so you have 6 sections
- continue in goosebumps pattern, reducing on odd-numbered rounds, until you have 54 stitches left (8 reducing rounds)
- change to reducing on every round until only 6 st left, break off yarn and pull through
- EARFLAPS - mark centre back, count 13 st forward along bottom edge, pick up 24 st
- do 3 rows seed stitch then begin reducing as per original pattern
- DRUMSTICKS - mine came out looking a tad small so next time I'll maybe increase by ~20% (making it pick up 30 st in back-slanting oval instead of just 25) and starting about 15 rows above edging
- the rest is the same (ties, feet, etc) and came out OK
I hope this helps anyone who has been looking to make a bigger version.