A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
270 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby cabled Jacket- now w/ a photo! Thanks for the person who fixed it!  (Read 1264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artteacher
« on: October 20, 2006 02:14:12 AM »

I knitted this for a co-worker's new baby.  I made it pretty big so that they baby would be able to wear it this winter.
*This is my first time to post a photo- just hope it works!  Cheesy  (If it doesn't can someone help me?  I did set up an account w/ Photo bucket and did follow the directions: upload image/etc.  Ok, crossing my fingers and holding my head just right in the hopes that this does work.)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006 07:44:58 AM by artteacher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
artteacher
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006 02:19:37 AM »

darn it.. a message and no photo..HuhHuhHuh??  Oh well, I did try.  Sorry.  Let me describe it.. it is turquoise, long sleeved, little fold back cuffs, and several cables along the front, back and sleeves.  Ok, altogether now.. ahhh.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
subloke
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006 06:28:17 AM »

It's really cute. 

(btw:  It looks like you had a ] in the wrong spot or something.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
artteacher
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006 07:39:53 AM »

Whatever you did to fix it.. THANK YOU! Cheesy   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006 01:12:31 PM »

That is proper cute!

Oh, erm are cables difficult to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006 02:29:48 PM »

not at all.. they are like magic in how easy they are to do.  AND, I've found that they are probably the 'stitch' that non-knitters are most impressed with when they see a cable stitch on something.

ALL you do is-- (for a 6 stitch cable) front side of the knitting.. Cast on about 12 stitches, purl 3 stitches, knit 3 stitches, purl 3 stitches, for row 1 (FRONT SIDE) back side purl all stitches.. do these two rows at least 2x.  THEN start again on the front for the cable pattern..  PURL 3 stitches and when you get to the 6 stitches for the cable, take the first 3 stitches of what will be the cable and put them on a cable stitch holder, broken off chopstick, toothpick, or something that is big enough to hold 3 stitches on it.. you hold these (NOT BEING USED STITCHES) to either the front or the back (just depends on which direction you want the cable to twist towards) knit the last 3 stitches of the cable pattern in KNIT, then KNIT the 3 that were on your cable needle (out of the way while you knitted the last 3 stitches) then continue in purl stitch.. until it is time to do another cable stitch pattern- or to the end of the row if you are just making a practice swatch.  The next row (back side) is all purl.  Front side (even numbered rows is always purl 3, knit 6, purl 3.. (unless you are doing the cable stitch). 

TRY it.. it's easy-- just read the above directions and do what it says and see if you can do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artteacher
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006 02:34:15 PM »

correction: first row starting out.. purl 3, knit 6, purl 3.. (TO use up all 12 cast on stitches) sorry about that.. thinking faster than I could type.  Cheesy

That's what you do for all front rows that aren't doing the cable stitch pattern on that row.  Back side (odd # rows) is all purl.  Front side for a cable stitch.. purl 3, put first 3 stitches of the cable pattern (where the knitted stitches begin) on the cable needle, knit the last 3 stitches of the cable pattern, then knit the last 3 stitches that have been on the cable holder/needle, and purl the last 3 stitches.  Next row goes back to purl all stitches.. (back side always purled in this case).

Front side.. always: purl 3, knit 6, purl 3 if you aren't doing the cable stitch.. good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006 01:54:25 PM »

Thank ye!  Grin

I'm dead impressed when I look at cables, because it just seems so technical. I've avoided doing patterns in the past, but because of the clarity of your instructions, I did a a sample and now I'm going to attempt fetching! *dances with glee*

Thank you again! I'm going cautiously, but I think they are taking shape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006 02:12:22 PM »

GLAD I could help!  You can also 'knit' the stitches straight off the cable needle (depending on what size it is/etc.) or probably the easiest way is to just slip them BACK on the left needle in order and just knit them from that needle.

Keep it up.. they are super easy!  All cable stitch patterns are a variation of what I explained above.  The directions (once you understand how to do a cable) will clearly help you know what to do.

WHEN YOU SEE something like this: cbfwd (cable forward- means you put the cable needle on the front of the work while you knit the first 3 stitches- it just determines the direction of the cable twist/slant.)

Sometimes it might even be cb (cable back)  Just make sure to read the 'knitting abbreviation code' before hand.  *IF your pattern doesn't have one- other books will or you can even find them on the Internet.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blow Dry Curly Hair Tutorial
How to Blow Dry Hair to Create Volume
How to Care for Dry and Damaged Hair
How to Combat Oily Hair
How to Color Your Hair at Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...