A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black and gray and white sundress (my first!)  (Read 3737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kwugirl
« on: August 11, 2006 09:05:20 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm so proud of finishing this dress, which I (mostly) made from McCall's 5094 and a thrifted sheet. Hence, sharing it with craftsters.

First, a picture:
Of the many photos I got my boyfriend to take of me in this dress, I liked this one the best, so it's going on first even though that orange belt/scarf isn't officially part of the dress (incidentally, that was also a thrifted item, I believe...)

Here is a picture of the back, sash still on:
So here's where I tell you that yes, when compared to the McCall's 5094 pattern, it seems that my dress is missing something--the entire middle section, in fact! Well, what happened was that I made a muslin of the top part and found out that: 1) the size I chose was way too small; 2) the straps in the pattern were really much too triangular; and 3) the top part would cut off about 3/4 way down my boobs instead of going underneath for an empire waist-type top.

I fixed 1 by going up a few sizes (newbie sewer, first time using a real pattern! so I didn't know about the different sizings at first, but several very helpful craftster topics fixed that) and then 2 and 3 by redrafting (what a fancy word for moving the lines a bit on the wax paper I used to trace the pattern and cut out for later use with rotary cutting out the pieces).

Anyway, then I made a 2nd muslin to test out the changes I'd made, which worked out pretty well. I traced out the shorter skirt section of view F in the hopes that it'd make the dress knee-length, but that was a bit too short. And then I decided that I didn't like having the middle section on me because it emphasized I'd rather not have emphasized  Tongue

So for the real dress, I just removed the middle section and cut out full-length skirt pieces, which worked out very well! The dress is just about knee-length, probably could be about an inch shorter, but that's all right. For the bust section, you have to gather the middle a bit, which helped me fit the bust pieces to the skirt pieces...I had a little bit leftover but it wasn't too bad. I ended up having about an extra 2" on each side as well, so I had to cut that down before fitting in the invisible zipper (first zipper installation, too!).

Photo of just dress, without sash:

Now, for the little things: I put in the zipper a little bit too low (overestimated the suggested 3/4", I suppose) so I had to put in TWO sets of hooks/eyes up top in the back. You can sort of see this in the below photo:
There's a bit of a gap between the two sets but it's not that noticeable from a normal distance.

Also, the straps are a bit loose and feel like they will slip off easily, but actually when I wore it the other day, they didn't fall down at all! And then there's just that the bust area puckers a bit sometimes, perhaps because it's still a little bit too big, but you can't see it that much because of the busy pattern of the fabric.

Anyway, on the whole I am ECSTATIC to have accomplished so many firsts with this dress! I did a lot of the work a few months ago during finals period (finals period = good for almost everything except studying...) but only finished it up a couple days ago. Let me know what you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.awestruckamature.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006 09:09:25 PM »

ahh I love it. It looks great on you. Fabulous job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freakymysty
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006 09:16:27 PM »

It looks great!  I'm surprised you did so well at modifying the pattern to suit your needs since you're a newbie sewer.  I would've given up Tongue.  I'm also amazed at the fabric being a bedsheet.  The dress looks so cute on you Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuNaGirl
FATED...or faded?

rock your soul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006 09:44:04 PM »

omg! thats an amzing print!!!!!!!
and the dress is lovely! the orange sash makes it pop! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there\'s no place like craftster...<br /><br />FIND YOUR STAGE
tuffie
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006 05:06:02 AM »

It looks great on you! The print is too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valbi
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006 03:11:41 PM »

You do look great in that dress. Great job with the alterations and I absolutely love the orange sash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyKurl
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006 07:29:16 PM »

It looks so good on you! I really like it  Smiley
You did a great job with all those alterations.. I would never have been able to do it, myself! Especially for your first try!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006 04:11:32 AM »

It looks great! And I'm very impressed that you were able to so seriously alter the pattern, since it was your first time using it. I could probably do it now, but back then I just would have given up and asked my mom to fix it (of course, I was very young when I started sewing, but still.) Awesome fabric too-- I wish I could find decent bedsheets at my local thrift stores!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

epedemiic
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006 10:34:32 PM »

That looks great! Good job!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006 10:54:03 PM »

I like your dress! That is a really nice thrifted sheet, I'm loving the colors. I actually like it with a pop of orange thrown in with that belt. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Videofashion News: Marissa Webb Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Product Review: Face Wipes - Dr. Murad Clarifying Wipes
Get Easy Dramatic Eyes
Perfume Pop Quiz
Shiseido, Beer Floats, and DIY Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...