Hey everyone! I'm so proud of finishing this dress, which I (mostly) made from McCall's 5094 and a thrifted sheet. Hence, sharing it with craftsters.
First, a picture:
Of the many photos I got my boyfriend to take of me in this dress, I liked this one the best, so it's going on first even though that orange belt/scarf isn't officially part of the dress (incidentally, that was also a thrifted item, I believe...)
Here is a picture of the back, sash still on:
So here's where I tell you that yes, when compared to the McCall's 5094 pattern, it seems that my dress is missing something--the entire middle section, in fact! Well, what happened was that I made a muslin of the top part and found out that: 1) the size I chose was way too small; 2) the straps in the pattern were really much too triangular; and 3) the top part would cut off about 3/4 way down my boobs instead of going underneath for an empire waist-type top.
I fixed 1 by going up a few sizes (newbie sewer, first time using a real pattern! so I didn't know about the different sizings at first, but several very helpful craftster topics fixed that) and then 2 and 3 by redrafting (what a fancy word for moving the lines a bit on the wax paper I used to trace the pattern and cut out for later use with rotary cutting out the pieces).
Anyway, then I made a 2nd muslin to test out the changes I'd made, which worked out pretty well. I traced out the shorter skirt section of view F in the hopes that it'd make the dress knee-length, but that was a bit too short. And then I decided that I didn't like having the middle section on me because it emphasized I'd rather not have emphasized
So for the real dress, I just removed the middle section and cut out full-length skirt pieces, which worked out very well! The dress is just about knee-length, probably could be about an inch shorter, but that's all right. For the bust section, you have to gather the middle a bit, which helped me fit the bust pieces to the skirt pieces...I had a little bit leftover but it wasn't too bad. I ended up having about an extra 2" on each side as well, so I had to cut that down before fitting in the invisible zipper (first zipper installation, too!).
Photo of just dress, without sash:
Now, for the little things: I put in the zipper a little bit too low (overestimated the suggested 3/4", I suppose) so I had to put in TWO sets of hooks/eyes up top in the back. You can sort of see this in the below photo:
There's a bit of a gap between the two sets but it's not that noticeable from a normal distance.
Also, the straps are a bit loose and feel like they will slip off easily, but actually when I wore it the other day, they didn't fall down at all! And then there's just that the bust area puckers a bit sometimes, perhaps because it's still a little bit too big, but you can't see it that much because of the busy pattern of the fabric.
Anyway, on the whole I am ECSTATIC to have accomplished so many firsts with this dress! I did a lot of the work a few months ago during finals period (finals period = good for almost everything except studying...) but only finished it up a couple days ago. Let me know what you think!