A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 303,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stupid sewing machine...  (Read 754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Ready for the runway

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2006 08:03:01 PM »

i was working on this really cute jacket, but then my machine got all screwed up. the bobbin thread it comming out all wrong, so the back of all my sewn stitches is all knoted and looks really bad. and i can't fix it.

ok, yeah. i hope i can figure it our soon.

I'm gonna be the next BIG american designer...
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006 08:23:38 PM »

I feel your pain.  Personally, nothing brings me to tears faster than a malfunctioning machine that won't respond to my pleading and threats.
Other than that, everytime I have had a problem with the way the bobbin was acting it has always turned out to be the way the top was threaded through the machine.  Not having more info to go on, I would suggest rethreading everything and changing the needle.   

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006 08:29:56 PM »

Other than what has already been suggested, how thick is the fabric you are trying to sew?  I had this problem majorly when I was doing the strap on a bag because the fabric was too thick for my machine (it WAS about 6 layers of heavily interfaced stuff).  Alternatively play around with the tension on the top thread on some scraps of the fabric you are using and rethread your bobbin as well as the top thread.

I did have this happen the other day when I had just refilled the thread on the bobbin because an extra loop kept getting picked up or something, so just pull your bobbin out and make sure nothing like that is happening too.

Ready for the runway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006 06:28:54 AM »

i've tried with several different types of fabric. it has been doing this for awhile, but my current project is with thin, see through fabric, so i can't have the stitches messed up.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006 09:01:41 AM »

Hope you have this worked out by now.  With thinner fabric you are probably using a smaller size needle and fine thread and checked that the bobbin is in the right direction.  Maybe lower the feed dogs to "silk" or "embroidery" and/or increase tension on the foot.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006 03:46:27 PM »

Anytime you have a problem with the thread, esp. if it is sudden, lift your presser foot and totally rethread the machine sometimes, even when just "sewing" the thread can jump a guide or something.  Also, as already suggested it can easily be a problem with the bobbin thread not in the bobbin tension or not in correctly.  You might also check the bobbin for stray threads, exp through the side from winding.  Sometimes the machine will pick up the tiniest thread and really mess things up.
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006 12:35:00 AM »

The previous suggestions are all excellent.  I would also add to clean out your bobbin case or shuttle.  If you have a drop in bobbin take of the throat place and use a small brush to clean out all lint, thread and assorted junk.  This should be done after every project and more frequently if you have a heavy fuzz type fabric like felt, several wools and especially fake fur.  Make sure to take the top thread completely out and re-thread.  I know it sounds silly but sometimes even the most experienced seamstress can miss one little keeper.  If you have changed the needle to a new needle double check to make sure you have it facing the correct way.  You might want to refer to your manual.  If you are using a different brand of needles make sure you are using a good quality needle and not a bargain no name brand.  Also if you are using a "cheap" thread that cold also be a big part of the problem.  If all of these dont correct the stitch problem you should probably have your machine serviced.  It may be out of time or you could have a nick or bur on the throat plate that your arent aware of.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin

Ready for the runway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006 03:14:25 PM »

thank you all so much. i'm actually using my mom's machine now because it works better then mine. i'm still gonna try to fix mine though, since i like my machine. thanks you guys!

Singin' & Craftin' My Brains Out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006 01:36:25 PM »

Yeah, sewing machines can sometimes do dumb stuff for no apparent reason.  I would definately check your tension.  I think that's probably the problem.  The dumb thing with me is that this always happens because I forget to put down my presser foot... and then I roll my eyes and have to get the seam ripper.  Bummmmer.

"All things essential to the universe are invisible to the eyes." - The Fox

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Arianna Huffington Talks About Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
Allegra Huston Talks About Love Child
Kathi Appelt Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...