A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Molly's Headband: From Interweave Knits *link to free pattern*  (Read 15986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zeusofcute
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2006 07:40:44 AM »

wow rachpie, I was just starting this headband last night, but I couldn't figure out that part either! so I headed to this thread and lo and behold, you had already asked!

but thats not all, folks. i have another problem, actually. how on earth do you read these crazy charts?Huh? I figured out that you ignore the two boxes on the end when you go on to an odd row, right? but whenever I do one of the rows in the pattern repeat that has that "sl 2 sts as if to k2tog, k1, pass 2 slipped sts over" thing in it, I run out of stitches at the end. I guess what I mean is, I have the 19 stitches on my needles, and I *think* I did everything right up to that "sl 2 sts as if to......." part, but when I finish it, I end up with waaaay too few stitches on the left needle, and I have to skip all the knit stitches to fit the couple of fancier ones in , like the yo and the other slashy one. (It was either ssk or k2tog... I dont have the pattern in front of me...)

Soooo. now that I'm done rambling, anyone know what I'm doing? I love this headband so much and I want to try to do it so bad, but it really looks crazy right now. I mean insane crazy. Thanks!!

p.s.- everyone's headbands look spectacular!! great job! (haha trying to hold back jealousy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shae16
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2006 09:44:18 AM »

I had problems with running out of stitches too, but I was making the mistake on my yarn overs.  I read the craftster FAQ's on knitting(there are 2 kinds of yarn overs, and FAQ explains)and realized my mistake, then reading the chart made much more sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uglygreen

Well, I am a ticking timebomb of fury.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2006 10:55:33 AM »

Okay, reading the chart: (first of all, I'm pretty sure the stich n bitch book does a good job explaining reading charts, in general, and I'm just going to explain this one)  I'll use rows in the pattern repeat as examples.  Firstly, read the chart bottom up, and right to left.  Row 17 (RS) says k2, yo, ssk, k3, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k3, k2tog, yo, k2.  Row 18 (WS) says k2, p until last two sts, k2. Row 19 (RS): k2, yo, ssk, k4, yo, [slip 2 sts as if to k2tog, knit 1, pass the 2 slipped sts together over the knit stitch], yo, k4, k2tog, yo, k2. Row 20 (WS): k2, p until 2 sts remain, k2.

I hope that helps you figure out how the chart works...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiff
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com

Remember life is strange, life keeps getting stranger every day.
--New Order
rachpie22
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2006 11:09:51 AM »

Glad I could make the same mistake.  Now that I've gotten that figured out, the pattern is working fine.  So, I'll try to help you.

First, always read the pattern from the right to left, no matter which row you're on.  Since you always knit right to left, it's the same thing with the pattern.  Next, don't ignore those two boxes.  I'm assuming they're the two knit stitches at the end of all those purls on the even numbered rows.  You should always have 19 stiches after every row.  Are you doing your yarn overs correctly?  Don't over think them (like I used to), it really is just looping the yarn from front to back on the right needle, and then going onto the next stitch. 

If this doesn't help, can you post a picture or two of what you're working on?  Maybe some of the brilliant Craftsters can help! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeusofcute
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2006 03:30:12 PM »

thanks guys!

shae16- I looked for the FAQs, but uh, I don't know where to find them Roll Eyes when you say problems with yarn overs, what exactly do you mean? I followed the SnB instructions, but I interpreted a yo to be the wrapping of the yarn AND a knit stitch following it. cuz if the stitch part doesnt get included in the yo then i think we just found the problem!

ugly green- thanks for writing that all out, its gonna make my life tons easier, i can tell! now i know that you really should be able to fit those stitches in...

and rachpie- good to  know that you read from right to left, its what i assumed, but i was starting to doubt that! like shae said, do you mean that a yo is just wrapping? I'm going to try that now, it might fix this whole thing, and i can stop ignoring the edge boxes if i have enough stitches!!! yipee!

If this doesnt help I can try to post a pic. my digi is on the fritz, but if whats happening is that the right side looks almost the same as everyone elses does, but the left side is just alkwerjpo3waalke903 8w4 crap!!!

thanks everyone! I'll try these things out tonight n repost tomorrow if i can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachpie22
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2006 05:05:58 PM »

Aha, that might be your problem.  The yo is just wrapping the yarn over the right needle, at least in this case.  It not only creates another stitch to make up for the one you've decreased, but it leaves a hole for the lace pattern.  So, no messing with the knit stitch after the yo!  Let us know how it goes! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2006 05:11:16 PM »

I interpreted a yo to be the wrapping of the yarn AND a knit stitch following it. cuz if the stitch part doesnt get included in the yo then i think we just found the problem!

YO is just the wrapping of the yarn.
knittinghelp.com has a great video demo. It is at the bottom of the page on Basic Techniques - Increases (the link should take you to the correct page, just scroll down). The video shows both Continental and English make sure you look at the one for your style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shae16
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2006 06:36:24 AM »

Sorry I didn't tell where the knitting FAQ's were, they are at the top of the discussion and questions part of the knitting section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeusofcute
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2006 08:05:35 AM »

good news! I stopped that knitting business after the yo and now my headband looks, well, like a headband! its all pretty and lacy... yays!!

thanks everyone for the help. shae16-- i think i'm going to check out this FAQ section now, thanks for telling me about it!

when i'm done i'll try to post a pic, if my camera lets me. its actually really funny to see the first two inches of the headband, where i had no idea what i was doing, and then the rest, which is just normal... hmmm yeah. hopefully that will be underneath my head  Tongue

thanks again!!! *BIG HUGS*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2006 03:42:14 PM »

Here's mine:

Made for a swap. So quick and great. I love craftster for showing me this pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspo t.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Duck Spring Roll Recipe
Chef Shares Recipe For Mentaiko Spaghetti
How to Make a California Roll
Korean Beef Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Shrimp-Udon Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...