A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,714
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 08/11/06 - Please Don't Use Craftster to Advertise Things You Sell  (Read 25263 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrrromit

The eggstraordinary life of Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006 09:55:50 AM »

Good work, Leah! Thanks for clarifying this for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maplestory! Windia forever! Hunt me down, I'm MingyDingus! Smiley
d_hansbury

Macabre connoisseur

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006 12:58:17 AM »

I have to disagree to a point about picture hosting from etsy as "advertising".

I have never asked anyone to buy my work. What I do is tell people "this is what I've made" and ask for comments & crits. Many times craftster traffic has killed my bandwidth for a month, so for me it was an easy way to host pics of my work without crushing my servers AND cross promoting another site if the viewer chooses to see it.

The rules aren't a problem, but not everyone read this topic and to find my topics removed and THEN be told about this rule made me a little angry.

Aside from that, everything else is still cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006 09:55:06 PM »

I agree that there should be no free advertising here on craftster. If you sign up on a free board, what right do you have to make money from advertising your product for free off someone else's hard work?  Besides the fact that Leah has so generously put up a classifieds board for just that purpose? 

I do see the need for a little looseness, granted, like when people say something like "a view of the back of the bag is in my etsy shop" well ok then, but not when they say "a view of the back of the bag is in my etsy shop and its $9.99"

I continually see people advertising here, and when I first joined about 3 years ago (under another name "dnmgiordano") there was barely any of that.  Now the board is getting more and more clogged every day with unapproved advertising. 

I have said it before Leah, if you need another Mod, here I am. 

Kudos on standing up for your forum and your company, I would have done it long ago.  I would have insisted on people buying ad space and not taking advantage of craftster.  Does nobody read the terms and conditions?  You probably don't have alot of legal recourse towards people who abuse or misuse the forum, but still rules are rules and I think the majority of people do respect that. 

I think I have said my peace on this, it really struck a cord with me is all. 

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006 06:34:42 AM »

I have to disagree to a point about picture hosting from etsy as "advertising".

I have never asked anyone to buy my work. What I do is tell people "this is what I've made" and ask for comments & crits. Many times craftster traffic has killed my bandwidth for a month, so for me it was an easy way to host pics of my work without crushing my servers AND cross promoting another site if the viewer chooses to see it.

The rules aren't a problem, but not everyone read this topic and to find my topics removed and THEN be told about this rule made me a little angry.

Aside from that, everything else is still cool.

If you want opinions on something you made that you are selling, it should be posted in the "Get Product and Website Opinions" folder:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=102.0

and not in a regular "completed projects" folder. The "completed projects" folders are for projects that you'd want others to be inspired to try themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
d_hansbury

Macabre connoisseur

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006 05:56:00 PM »

And I have to say that after I did sell things on etsy based on craftster views I prompty made a donation to show some appreciation for the traffic.

I have had people make their own versions of my bears and post them on craftster. I posted on craftster long before I sold anything and wouldn't want anyone to think that this site is a free way to sell more....because god knows I'm not rich because of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006 12:25:40 AM »

Thanks so much Leah for clarifying this ! I've seen something about it on the crochet board a while back too, and that felt good too !

I mean, come on, $15 for an ad, nobody could say it's expensive and that's the best way to show your appreciation for all you gain from Crafster.

Maybe Leah you should put up some "ads for the ads", like say something like "you ad for as little as $x a month.."  it might encourage some to try it rather than clog the boards with such obvious free advertising "I've done this, pic in my shop" ! Serious, I've seen it !!

sylv
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006 12:32:59 PM »

Thanks Leah! I was kinda getting worried about why these people were doing these things aganist the rules, but of course, no one should refuse the laws of the craftster gods, and it's priestess, Leah! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neigung
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006 06:26:10 PM »

I'm assuming it would it be alright to post things after they have been sold.  Is this right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006 09:19:32 PM »

I'm assuming it would it be alright to post things after they have been sold.  Is this right?

Its fine to post something that you're selling/have sold, as long as you dont say "this is for sale on my etsy at (insert web address here)!" If you post something just as a project, thats totally fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006 11:09:16 PM »

If you see someone posting a completed project and including something along the lines of what Vanillaxlight has just mentioned, please Report to Moderator or PM one of us...not so we can delete the entire thread/post, but so that we can simply edit it and remove that line of text that refers to it's sale, shop, etc.

Smiley

Oh and photobucket as well as Craftster's picture hosting can be used for image hosting.  If someone were to post a picture hosted on Etsy and just use the IMG tag, we woudn't even know it unless we happened to look at it's properties, would we?  It's when the Etsy link is actually posted that crosses the line to advertisement.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006 11:12:00 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Bronzer, Blush and Luminizer
Halloween Inspiration from Celebrities Who Dare to Go Bold
Nicki Minaj Minajesty Commercial
How To Apply Matte Red Lip Stain
Fall Makeup Trends From Jill Martin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...