A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: R2D2 KIDS Beanie Hat (Star Wars) *Now* with link to free pattern/charts (page 1)  (Read 154572 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shortstuff411

Yarn Frog Princess and sometime Knittin' Kitten

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006 03:50:20 AM »

R4D4 is done!!  Grin

(No pics yet, but my eldest boy has now 'bagsied' it, and youngest, the R2 version!)!  Grin So I'm gonna have to make a 3rd, so I can have one!!  

But I increased R4 too much, and its too short, so if I modify the pattern again, somewhere in the middle, it will be a working pattern in 'theory' iyswim (It's also my first pattern I've had to write out in full, usually I just go for it).  Smiley So post any mistakes you find!!  Roll Eyes   Wink

I was thinking, its so easy to change the pattern too, (on the ones I made, R2 's pattern is diff to R4's) - I'd love to see some hats with the intarsia done properly too (not like mine-ha!!)  Cheesy  Roll Eyes

I'll post later today (hopefully) or in the next day or so, my lovely bloke is sorting a page for me to use 'paintshop' to do the chart.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006 10:59:35 AM by Shortstuff411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have...
Shortstuff411

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006 10:54:37 AM »

At last, here it is, a slightly modified version, slightly larger and deeper than the one in the pictures.

As I said before, this pattern is in 'theory' I've checked it over, and it *should* be ok, it's the first time I have written a pattern out for use by anyone else, so if you spot a mistake, modify it, correct it, post it etc!! Please!!  Grin

I can't wait to see everybodys R2D2/R4D4's (they knit up really quickly)  Smiley

R2D2 BEANIE HAT- PATTERN AND CHART HERE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HellOfMyOwn
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006 09:35:32 PM »

Still amazing, and you're awesome for posting the pattern! I have a husband that's going to freak when he gets one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortstuff411

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006 03:16:05 AM »

It hit me at 4 am this morining, the shaping/decreasing might be smoother if done like this...

Instead of 'knit 2 rows in A, then 2 rows of B' before the decreasing on top of the hat, try;

Knit 1 row A, dec on next row of yarn A, then knit 1 row of B, dec 1 row, Knit 1 row, then do the decrease every row.

What you think? I'll edit the pattern if you agree???  Huh
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006 03:20:37 AM by Shortstuff411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baigneuse
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006 06:02:22 AM »

Finished mine this morning. A bit to small for my large head but will make a good present. Great pattern Shortstuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006 12:55:41 AM »

heh, geeky minds think alike.  I spent a day going through reference pics a couple weeks ago and charted R2D2 as well. 

Of course, my first chart, for finest, most accurate detail, requires 240st.

Um, NO.  12st/in is not my idea of a good time.  I might, if I can find all the yarn colors in my stash, work it up at 120st around.  Maybe.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortstuff411

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006 05:58:20 AM »

Oh, I love the way yours turned out! I knew someone who could do intarsia properly would make it look fab!!  Grin

If you want to make it bigger, increase it by 6 or 12 etc... to match the amount of decreasings, and just add the stitches into the panels on the charts, evenly round. (did that make sense to anyone??)  Roll Eyes  Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

weezalana
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006 06:12:42 PM »

This hat is fantastic, thank you so much for posting the pattern!  It's going to make a great gift for hubster. Grin

Shortstuff411 - I hope you don't mind, I have a few questions:

1. It says "Pair of 3 mm 4 mm needles" - I didn't see in the pattern where to switch up to the larger needles.  Is that 3.5 - 4mm?  3.5 or 4mm?

2. Did you use worsted weight yarn?

3. Can you post the measurements your hat ended up?

Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortstuff411

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006 04:46:57 PM »

yup, its 3.5 OR 4mm

The 1st hat I made (in the pics) was smaller than the pattern, and is approx 42 cm around. the bigger one- R4D4 (I used an 'inbetween' size for the actual pattern) is 120 stitches, and approx 52 cm round. So I guess the patten is about in the middle somewhere! I havent made it yet, as my RSI is back from knitting too much and I'm having to take it easy.  Cry

Yes, its in Worsted/DK.

I found the 3.5 best for the decreasings on the top, but that was purely by mistake! I used 4mm for R4D4 (not pictured yet)  and they were a bit 'open' looking on the decreases. So maybe switching could work??

(sorry, this is my first 'big' pattern I've ever written, if you don't count garter stitch egg cosies!!)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006 04:53:59 PM by Shortstuff411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

weezalana
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006 07:00:44 PM »

Sorry about your RSI!  Sad

Thank you for the additional info!  And please, no need to apologize - I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we're so happy you posted the pattern!

** Conversions for others stateside - that would be needle sizes 4 or 6, with a diameter somewhere between 16.5" - 20.5". Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount Book Trailer
One Great Truth Book Trailer
Alison Larkin Talks About The English American
Meet Author Aryn Kyle
Happy For No Reason Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...