A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,718
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New look pattern 6158, sizing question  (Read 798 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catherine625
« on: August 16, 2004 09:53:14 AM »

Ok, so after measuring incorrectly the first time, I am bound and determined to make this skirt fit!  Anyway, I was looking at the measurements on the back of the envelope and to my surprise/dismay, the size that it says I should be accoding to my measurements is a 16!  i wear a 6!  And to make it more confusing, the hip measurements for the size six is larger than my actual waist measurements.  I'M CONFUSED!! HELP ME!!!  Should I just lay a skirt that fits me on the pattern and see which is closest?

Heres a picture if anyone has made this skirt..   <<removed link to broken image>>

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 06:42:37 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed link to broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
noelle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004 10:04:02 AM »

First off, dress sizes and pattern sizes are completely different. Modern-day dress sizes are actually called "Vanity Sizes" because they make people feel better with lower numbers. If you fit the envelope measurements for a size 16 pattern, that's the one I would make.

Also, keep in mind that "wearing ease" (not to mention seam allowance) is built into patterns. For example, if you have a 36" bust, you wouldn't want to make a blouse at exactly 36".. because then you wouldn't be able to breathe in it!

But New Look/Simplicity patterns have a LOT of extra ease built in. Use your judgement, and go down a pattern size or two if you think it's necessary.

And if your waist is a pattern size 16 but your hips are a pattern size 14, it's okay to fudge a little. That's what multi-size patterns are for.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherine625
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004 10:31:06 AM »

I'm mostly confused about the Garment measurements.  Why if your waist is 30 in and your hips 40 in would you make a skirt that has 51 in hip?  Are the garment measurements on the back of the envelope finished measurements?  I understand that dress sizes and pattern sizes aren't the same, but this just seems silly. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
noelle
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004 10:51:32 AM »

Why if your waist is 30 in and your hips 40 in would you make a skirt that has 51 in hip?  

Well, looking at your pattern.. it's a flared skirt. If it were a pencil or A-line skirt, you would want the hip measurements to be very close. But if you did that with this skirt, it wouldn't come out with that nice bell shape.

As I said, use your judgement. I usually cut Simplicity pattern ease by 3 inches or more.

Are the garment measurements on the back of the envelope finished measurements?

The pattern sizes on the envelope are your actual body measurements and the company's suggestions for sizing based on that. If there is a section near the bottom that says "garment measurements" they probably mean the finished product. I.e. Body Size + Wearing Ease    or    Cut Pattern - Seam Allowance
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004 03:01:57 PM by noelle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Automate Crop and Straighten
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Marquee Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Crop Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Crop Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Customize Your View
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...