A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Man crafts?  (Read 1121 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2006 08:45:14 AM »

My hubby finally is getting some good ol leisure time away from work. He'd like to get into a hobby but preferably not much equipment/space needed. I already suggested wood-burning and he nixed that. What kinds of things are you guys or your husbands into?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006 09:00:02 AM »

My father was "into" 2 hobbies as I can recall as a child. The first involved the creation of stained glass. He was quite skilled at it. I think that might require a considerable monetary investment, though. The second involved framing. His framing phase didn't last too long. He sure had a lot of materials, though. LOL!

How about take the hubby on a virtual "tour" through some sites like Craftster, and see what catches his eye. Maybe some sort of hobby like woodburning would be neat for him. Some men enjoy pottery. If you choose to frame "beading" as becoming a "JEWELER", it might have more masculine appeal.

Best of luck,
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.e tsy.com
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006 09:42:09 AM »

Some non-fluffy crafts:
- chain mail (a guy on this forum makes awesome stuff)
- resin casting
- tile mosaic
- any jewelry that involves soldering
  One poster has a husband who made the most fantastic needle felted dragon first time out the gate, it made the "this rocks" list, it was so incredibly good...his first time Shocked (shakes head in wonder)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006 08:42:59 AM »

I would second the mosaic suggestion, because the initial outlay is fairly modest - some tiles, nippers, glue and don't forget those manly dangerous-looking goggles (which are VITAL to protect your eyes) and off you go.  MASSES of info and design ideas available on the Net too.  He could cast some big butch concrete paving slabs with mosaic tops.

Stephen - who does stonemasonry and embroidery with equal joy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Elphelba
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006 08:53:46 AM »

My boyfriend loves to customize shoes. It really doesn't take much cash or space. He normally just gets boots (you can get military issued boots for like 10$ at many flea markets) and then he uses a drill to add screws, nuts, bolts, chains, or whatever else suits his fancy at the moment. They've all turned out looking really great (that is, if you're into that sort of thing).
Mosaic is really cool, too. We did a little of that in highschool and he always liked it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006 07:03:10 AM »

If I have learned anything about the men in my life, it's that they want something functional as opposed to trinkety (like my sewn Mario star...he likes running about singing the song and pretending he is invincible, but he wouldn't want to make it). And they like to eat. My fiance is interested in stencilling shirts, glass etching (with the cream), and candy making. As a note, I wonder if he would be into making toiletries/cosmetics for himself. Something like Tiger Balm or soaps or shaving cream?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006 09:15:44 AM »

thanks! these are some good ideas....

If I have learned anything about the men in my life, it's that they want something functional as opposed to trinkety (like my sewn Mario star...he likes running about singing the song and pretending he is invincible, but he wouldn't want to make it). And they like to eat. My fiance is interested in stencilling shirts, glass etching (with the cream), and candy making. As a note, I wonder if he would be into making toiletries/cosmetics for himself. Something like Tiger Balm or soaps or shaving cream?
you're definitely right about the functionality thing. whenever i make a purse or something, his first reaction is "that's cute. but do you need another purse?" umm, no, but that's not the point! i bought a pattern for mens clothes (he's tall so really hard to find clothes) maybe if I make that he'll be inspired too. the glass etching thing and toiletries are great ideas! he's not afraid of being a metrosexual  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006 09:23:42 AM »

Here is a whole thread on crafts for teenaged boys.  Although your hubby is (probably  Wink) not a teenager, this is a good list of manly crafts and might be helpful.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=111915.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006 09:36:07 AM »

carving?
I know my huisband said he wishes he could carve..but his spatial perception  and ability to visualize in 3D isn't good enough he thinks. Also perhaps painting or drawing? One CAN learn to draw.
I am expecting my husband to want to learn to kniot any minute now...he is facinated watching me. Loves the idea of taking a string and two sticks and making a wearable or usable object from them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006 10:02:12 AM »

Your brief mention of him being tall gave me an idea - get him a book on Pattern Cutting - I recommend Winifred Aldrich's book on menswear - he will enjoy the technical drawing side of the skill AND he will learn to draft patterns for you to make him.  Win, win!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heather Morris Cover Shoot for Seventeen Magazine
Karolina Kurkova in a Push-Up Bra
Salma Hayek Serves Up Six Sizzling Looks in 24 Hours
Viktor & Rolf Design Modern Bridal Collection
Baseball Fan Fashion: All-Star Style For the MLB or Little-League
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...