A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for a yarn swift/skein winder  (Read 1414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockadot
« on: August 10, 2006 10:12:47 PM »

I'm looking for a swift, but I can't find one for less than $50. I'm looking to pay $30-40...anyone selling?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Picky_Knitter
can't...type...knitting...

one sock wonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006 12:33:18 AM »

ebay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006 05:17:48 AM »

There is a Craftster Thread for how to make your own swift. It is very easy and the only tools you really need are a hand saw, chisel, and a drill.

I bought the materials to make 3 of them from Home Depot for $21.00 so for one it would probably run around $8.00-$10.00. If you are making it yourself have them cut the wood for you (2 cuts are free, something like a quarter each for more - well worth it).

You will need 2 pieces of wood anyway so get 2 - 4 foot long pieces have them cut 2" (the pattern call for 3" but 2" will be fine), then 16", and you will be left with 30". Do this on each piece and you have all of your cuts for free. Do it in this order - they won't take something like a 6" piece and cut it in half - safety issue.

If you have no tools maybe a fellow knitter does and you could trade off with you doing part or buying materials and her/him doing tool parts. I had someone in the Woods class at high school do the drilling on a drill press - I marked, they drilled, 15 minutes tops for three of them.

Here is a direct link to the Swift Instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimidawn24
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006 06:55:41 AM »

Joann.com has one that is $60- but they are always offering 50% off coupons, so you might want to keep an eye on their site.  http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82324&PRODID=80807
I just bought a $50 ball winder for $25!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

manika
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006 08:38:47 AM »

i second joann's.  i just got a wooden one as a gift, but i know it came from joann's w/ a 40% off coupon.  they have 2 sizes too, i think and the smaller one suits me just fine.  the metal ones are lower in price, but i like the look of my wooden one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006 08:40:02 AM »

Yep, I think Joann has a 50% coupon special this week. Look in other threads or do a search for it. The subject line has Joanns in it.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Direct a Play
How to Select a Play to Direct
How to Recognize a Good Scene in Theater Directing
How to Audition Using Sides
How to Audition Online
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...