A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: two vinyl hearts (one's a bit gory!)  (Read 8686 times)
Tags for this thread: vinyl , anatomical_heart , purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 10, 2006 03:50:26 PM »

i've been doing a bunch of vinyl lately, and have been on a bit of a heart kick (okay, so i've been obsessed with hearts for years and years. this is just the first time i've made them of vinyl!)

two projects, with more to post soon! i've been busy!

this is a small bag for a friend's birthday. i changed my plans part way through, so it's a bit wonky, but they LOVED it. i don't think anyone can tell but me anyway!

i LOVE the fabric, i bought up all the store had left. it's not really vinyl, it's plastic coated fabric that's been quilted to batting. it didn't need any interfacing, the batting was sturdy enough. i made the strap with a snap on it, because my friend bikes everywhere and carries a big backpack, this way they can snap the strap onto their bigger bag and it's always at the top, easy to find!

a close up of the heart -

i put in the grommets around the heart, then laced it with ribbon before i sewed it all together. i think if i made it again, i'd use thinner ribbon so that you could see the heart more, but this was all i could find in the stores around me.

the lining-

i also made a hanky out of smaller checks, and put it inside. we're trying to reclaim the tradition of the hanky code, since it's gotten so trendy lately by people who haven't got a clue. and we actually know what the hankies mean! wahoo for flagging safe sex! i called 6 different quilting stores looking for that cotton!

they were EXTREMELY excited, and have apparently gotten compliments on it constantly.

and this messenger bag was for the knit/sew/crochet swap round 3.

i made it for spirals420, and she wanted something that was large enough to hold her knitting, but still cool enough that she could take it to concerts and stuff.

the front-

a human heart pierced with knitting needles.

you can't really see the strap, but it's fairly wide webbing, with a slider so that the length is adjustable.

close up of the heart and the blood -

this took forever to do, but i love the result. the vinul stated to stretch a bit after i sewed it so much, but i think it just adds to it, making it look more like the needles actually pierced the heart.

the inside-

lots of pockets! the one on the left gusset is elasticated to hold a cell phone in, and on the right gusset ther's a little loop with a keyring that she can clip her keys to. the other 4 pockets are varying sizes, but one is specially sized to fit her MP3 player in it (an iriver i think? i'm so out of the loop! mine's a cheapy i got for x-mas)

the back-

a large pocket for holding magazines and papers and stuff. it closes with velcro. i like it, but i'm not sure i'd do it again, beause the extra layers added a lot of bulk to the corners.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010 08:33:32 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Hapslappy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006 04:02:22 PM »

Aw man, these are kickass!!!  I really like the materials & the realistic heart shapes & the knitting needles & everything!!! Great work, sista!  :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"um, there might be some hair stitched in there......"
Weeeeeeeeee!!!
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006 04:03:41 PM »

You are the vinyl queen. *bows to you*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
yamwam
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006 04:30:59 PM »

Those are awesome! You're great with vinyl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loose pleats sink fleets

Wists
DIYe_Bitch
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006 09:13:55 PM »

WOOW! Shocked

THOSE ARE AMAZING!

I WANT ONE
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beetlepose
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006 09:40:32 PM »

Realistic hearts, that is excellent!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HotCarl
Knitty.

HotCarl Is a GIRL.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006 08:43:21 AM »

I seriously laughed out loud at the knitting bag. Took one look and I was all "LOL!"

Great job on both. I like them a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<signature-style="obvious-plug">
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006 08:54:02 AM »

I've seen the second bag posted in the swap gallery, but I really love the first bag.  I think you can see the heart just fine with the ribbon. Had to look up the hanky thing though. (Couldn't find what b/w checks would mean, but I'm certainly more informed now Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006 10:32:20 AM »

very cool!! crafty_dame when you get into a theme you run with it don't you! I would never have thought of knitting needles through the heart but you know what if I tried to knit that's what would happen!!  Cheesy
I can knit a straight stitch but don't expect anything fancy at all!  These are great. I finally have a teflon foot to start with the vinyls I've been collecting too. But working too much to actually get the time to plan anything out at the moment. I can certainly see why the recipients would be thrilled to own them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamy
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006 10:35:36 AM »

I'm speechless.
Those have to be the coolest bags I have EVER seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter never goes away.
It is the herpes of craft supplies.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Need to Know: Oversized Sweaters, Google Flight Finder, and Fab Slippers
Cara Delevingne and Taylor Swift Rock Runway Show
Isabel Marant Collection Hits H&M
Spring Trend Report: The Versatile Polo Shirt
GQ Fashion: Nouveau Garage
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...