A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Scrap yarn blanket  (Read 50222 times)
Tags for this thread: scrap , blanket , afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

milobo
« on: August 10, 2006 12:50:20 PM »

I'm trying to limit the money I spend on yarn at the moment, so I have decided to make a blanket with my leftovers. Does anyone want to join me? Just use what ever oddments you have - there are several suitable patterns around (e.g. sampler squares, grannies, stripes, log cabin etc). I am using sock weight yarn, as I have lots of oddments left from my socks. I am making mine in fairly plain squares as I want it to be a fairly mindless project, and many of the yarns are self patterning, and look better in a plain stitch. I am doing back loop double crochet ( = back loop single crochet US) squares in the round, so if I don't have quite enough to finish a square, I can use another yarn and it will still look OK. I'm going to edge and join all the squares in either cream or black.
milobo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 06:06:33 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006 03:48:53 PM »

I actually just picked up a bunch of yarn on clearance at the craft store (all odds and ends that don't match)and I was about to start a baby star afghan with the different colors. This crochet along will be perfect to motivate me to finish the afghan and use up all the yarn I didn't need to buy. I like just throwing colors together. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pm me if you want to do a personal swap

swap partners check out my wist http://www.wists.com/crochetfairy

www.yarnfreak.blogspot.com
shine
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006 06:51:30 PM »

i'm working on an afghan right now, made of hexagonal grannies. back in november of last i was inspired by a post to the crochet board...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49344.0

i started making my grannies last thanksgiving--and am still going. i'm using scraps and thrifted yarn of varying weights and fibers. i'm rimming the finished hexagons with black single crochet then i'm single crocheting them together. here's 3 stacks of my grannies--taken last xmas.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006 06:56:06 PM »

wow that is so cool. i tried to do a simple granny square pillow cover once and i couldn't get myself to do the pattern over and over again. nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
artsylydia
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006 11:30:19 AM »

here's 3 stacks of my grannies--taken last xmas.

wow if that was last xmas... i can't imagine how many more you have now.  impressive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Embroidered Paper Goods: http://www.etsy.com/shop/artsylydia
staysha
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006 03:13:53 PM »

Hey hey! I've also started a hexagon granny blanket!

I'm making all my hex's one color, but seeing your colorful stacks makes me think twice. I just hate tying in all those ends!  Anyway I have 7 or 8 skeins of Red Heart stuff I really don't like to use, but it's built up over the years, so I thought to use them all in a blanket.  I probably only have 30 squares or so right now...I think I'll need over 144 to finish a queen size afghan.  I may be an old lady before it's done...

Also, I'm using this pattern from Lion Brand: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60153.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006 06:23:30 PM by staysha » THIS ROCKS   Logged
shine
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006 10:19:03 AM »

staysha, your granny pattern is nice--it looks like 5 rounds? i need in excess of 144 grannys for my afghan, too. let's help each other shlep through the granny making--so we can enjoy our work before we're as old as a granny.

i hate, hate, hate weaving the ends, too!! one thing i've started doing is crocheting OVER the ends as i go along. this eliminates all but the final end when the granny is done. have you ever tried that? some of the grannys have 4 color changes, some have 3 and some have 1. the color changing adds time to the project. i bet you could whip out 2 grannys in the time it takes me to do 1.

the project that piqued my interest in doing hexagonal grannies used both single-colored hexes and multi-colored hexes. (see the link above.) i'm sure your afghan will look awesome no matter what colors--and how many of each color--you use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staysha
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006 04:50:11 AM »

Hi Shine:  I do crochet over the ends - I may start incorporating other colors. I might just do some pastels insides with the brown on the outside to keep it simple, but add some good old granny-ness and color.  All the yarn I have is wicked pastel - must be baby blankets that never got made Smiley

I made my friend a granny square blanket a little while ago, and she said its coming apart in some places. EEkk!  I'll have to see what I did and how I can do better. Have you thought about how you'll join your hex's?

Yes!  Soldier on and I will do the same!  Maybe we'll be warm by winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staysha
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 05:36:07 PM »

Shine:

I have a weekend challenge!  Twenty hex's between Friday night and Sunday night!  I dare you to beat me! I double dare you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shine
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006 10:15:08 AM »

20 hexa-grannies??? between now and sunday nite?

YOU'RE on, my friend. ready, set go.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut and Pan Fry Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Garam Masala
How to Cook Palak Paneer
Herman Helmers Bakery Nepal
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...