A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help, moving to columbus!!!!!!  (Read 7592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006 11:01:15 AM »

I hope things are going well for you.  I moved from Columbus in August, after living there ten years.  As you can see, I still poke around Craftster's Ohio board when I get a little nostalgic. 

I'm going to put in a plug for Telhio Credit Union.  They took such great care of me, and they even made a stolen check problem into much less of a problem.  I couldn't say the same for 5/3 (run away from them!).  Through Telhio, you can use all the Key ATMs, and you can use other credit unions nationwide through their shared branch program.  I still have an account with them, even though I'm near DC now.  (I haven't heard of problems with either Key or Bank One/Chase, either.)

The Horseshoe on the OSU campus is definitely the big local landmark.  Don't expect much from "Mirror Lake"--I think you have to be a die-hard Buckeye and have memories of fun times on the OSU campus to appreciate it.  For the rest of us (like you, from Washington, and I, who grew up in lake-filled Michigan), it's pretty funny.  It's not a lake at all.  It's not even a pond.  It's a large fountain.  Cheesy

Definitely go on down to the Hocking Hills.  Also, Yellow Springs (to the west, between Dayton and Springfield, just south of 70 along Rte. 68) is a neat town.  A true hippie/bohemian type of town with bike trails and neat parks. 

Good luck at CCAD!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006 07:36:20 AM »

thanks so much.  well we like it here so far, but i want to see snow.  and it just so happened to snow a whole bunch back home over this week.  it has been all over the news.  it is the worst snow storm washington has had in a long time.  when i lived there my entire life we were lucky to get 1-2 inches and that was only for one day out of the year.  in addition it would melt half way through the day.  i can;t believe it!  i know it will snow here, that is what everyone says.  i just cant wait!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
facelikeallama
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006 08:26:38 PM »

thanks so much.  well we like it here so far, but i want to see snow.  and it just so happened to snow a whole bunch back home over this week.  it has been all over the news.  it is the worst snow storm washington has had in a long time.  when i lived there my entire life we were lucky to get 1-2 inches and that was only for one day out of the year.  in addition it would melt half way through the day.  i can;t believe it!  i know it will snow here, that is what everyone says.  i just cant wait!!!

This doesn't have much to do with the thread's original topic, but I thought your situation was so weirdly similar to mine that I just had to comment.  Quite a while back I moved from Seattle to the NE and now to CCAD in Columbus.  We rarely got any snow in Seattle and talking to my old friends is making me quite bitter about the fact that they have bushels to enjoy and/or hate.  All we get here in Columbus is freezing rain and crazy wind.   Angry  Gah, I want some snow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006 08:58:09 PM »

Hey Shorty welcome to the Cbus!

I moved here for school 5 years ago (I go to OSU, I am also an art student! yay!) and it's been allright. As I'm sure you're figuring out Columbus is more of a network of smaller cities and suburbs than a downtown area. The weather this time of year is NASTY, although the rest of the year is fine.

I am also a a nature nut and left the hills and scenery of southern ohio for the kansas-like flats of Columbus. I now work for the park system here.

My advice, if it's of any use, is to check out the great metro parks around here (Blendon Woods, etc.) Darby Creek (scenic river) is supposed to be wonderful, although I have not been. Hocking Hills is fantastic by its own right any time of year. It's a bit of a drive but still less than an hour from Columbus. You'd never think you were in the same state... The Dawes Arboretum is also nice, it's about 30-40 minutes away. I go there all the time to escape the urban drudgery.

Easton is a nice mall, isn't it? Too expensive for me but I still like to go walk around and steal ideas from Anthropologie. ;-)

If you are looking for craftyness you could come hang with me and some other crafty ladies at our "knitting" club (although half of us don't knit, but we all craft!).

Hope Columbus is treating you allright. Feel totally free to PM me or post here (of course!) if you have questions about Columbus or what not!

-Rach

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006 09:36:13 PM »

hey awesome you guys!  you really feel like you are the only one who is doing this when you are, and everyone looks at you like either it doesnt matter or you are crazy.

that is so cool that you guys moved here from far too.  i am definitely going to check out hocking hills, that has been the number one suggested place.  i will try to check the others too.  but we wont do much till spring.  winter doesnt allow for alot of outdoors, here. 

easton totally blew me away.  except i cant afford a dam thing there.  so i do browse for ideas and wishes. 

but rachofthejungle:where does this group meet, when, and what type of crafts?Huh  i am not doing much right now because of work, housewiving, and getting stuff together for school.  But i would really like to hang out with something other than my tv and computer.  i havent met anyone really yet.  what is your specific art major? 

to facelikeallama:  how long have you been here?  what are you going for at ccad?  are you here by yourself?  that is so nice to talk to someone who can remember mt rainier in person, the alpine lakes, or ocean shores, or any of the landscapes of the seattle area.  The RAIN is not so bad! 

thanks you guys, hope to hear from you soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
facelikeallama
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006 07:04:34 PM »

I've only been here for a few months, I'm a freshman living in the Schottenstein dorms.  My tentative major is illustration, but that's probably going to change.   Tongue  I miss Seattle so much!  I miss seeing Mt. Rainier in the foggy sky when I walked to the bus stop, Lake Tapp and the Puget sound... it's bizarre to admit it, but I even miss the weather!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006 11:03:32 PM »

did you live in the lake tapps area?  i grew up less than 5 minutes from there? wonder if we went to the same school?  crazy!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
facelikeallama
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006 12:43:41 PM »

I think it was a 10 or 15 minute drive to Lake Tapp for us... I lived in Sumner
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2007 09:31:20 AM »

I used to live in Seattle, too!  I went there for college, met my hubby there, then moved to Columbus (where he's from) cos he got an awesome scholarship to CCAD.  I really miss Seattle...and I really miss the public transportation!  I hate needing a car.

We live in Grandview now, but we're looking to move to Clintonville or the Short North.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Brow Buddy Shapes Up Your Bushy Brows
How To Get Fuller-Looking Lips Using Makeup
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 3
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 2
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...