A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help, moving to columbus!!!!!!  (Read 7227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006 09:52:10 AM »

Hi there i am a fellow craftster from the Seattle, washington area.  I am moving to Columbus, Ohio towards the end of October in about two months.  I am finishing my AA transfer degree this month and have been accepted to Columbus College of art and design with a scholarship.  I am transferring and am moving my boyfriend and cat with me(my family). 

well here is some of the problems:  i have never been there so we are trying to locate some good areas to look for apartments?Huh?  We are 21 and 23 but we don't really like to be engulfed in university students(i have heard that Ohio u is close to ccad) and we would like to be kinda close to ccad(school).  We are looking for a two bedroom apt within the 500+- dollar a month range, we just want to be in a decent neighborhood(here we have had to live in some ghetto areas because of the high cost of living).  i am going to be looking at a map while reading your responses so i can try to understand where things are.  so we don't mind if we are around some university students we just don't want to be smack in the middle of them.  we will be living there for around three years.

Additional information: my boyfriend will either be working at one of the Columbus Comp usas or somewhere computer or car mechanic related.  I will be looking for a part time job too. 

there is so much to think about.  we are getting together a rental truck and stuff like that. any information you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  i am beyond stressed about trying to move cross country with little money and my family.  Again Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrpickles
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006 07:44:08 PM »

Not sure where the Comp USAs are, but there are several cute neighborhoods near CCAD that will still be far enough away from Ohio State.  Try Victorian, Italian or German Village.  All cute- with some really pricey and some not so pricey rentals.  $500 for a 2 bedroom will be tough- but if you go through independent realtors, you should be able to find something.  See if you can get your hands on a Columbus Alive or TriVillage (Suburaban) Newspaper somehow- they both have rental properties listed and will give you a good idea of
C-bus goings on.  When in Columbus, I highly recommend checking out Wholly Craft on High St. 

Cheers!
Rita
http://www.mrpickles.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006 08:34:07 PM »

thank you for the response.  The compusa is in easton town center, so i guess we are going to try to look between dowtown(ccad) and easton town center.   We are looking between the 500-600 dollar range.  i am so excited to move!!!  i will definitely check out wholly craft.  what type of store/place is it?  Someone else said something about the columbus dispatch paper.  I will definitely check out the papers you recommended too.  Thanks again. 

Is there any good studio art groups in columbus??  i will be there a couple of months before i start school to get settled in and it would be great if i could get involved with some of the art community when i get there.  Are there any nude drawing groups or places?

Thanks from the washingtonian!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 10:47:33 AM »

sorry i can't help out with any of the art questions.  but for the apartment around easton area, you might want to banch out of columbus a little bit.  we have a lot of smaller cities surrounding us, but everything just runs together so you can't even tell.  something like gahanna or westerville might have something in your price range.

if you narrow it down to a few addresses i can drive by and take some digital pics if you'd like.   Grin  just not next week because i'll be on vaca.

i haven't been to wholly craft.  i think it's like a consignment shop for people who make stuff.  i keep meaning to check it out myself.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006 07:06:49 AM »

welcome (almost) to ohio!  we just moved from Portland to Cleveland and experienced some culture shock.  midwest has a different vibe than the pacific northwest.  loads of sweet people out here... just make sure you hug mt. rainier before you go because you won't see anything like it here.   

no advice on the columbus specific stuff.  but for the move we used U-Pack ABF services  (http://www.upack.com/)... awesome.  they delivered it to us, we packed it tight, and padlocked it with our own locks. they picked it up and shipped it to cleveland for us.  then we packed up the car and drove comfortably.  couldn't stand the idea of crossing the rockies in a u-haul, ugh.   as is, it took us 5 days to get here.  let me know if you need any help.

congrats on getting into the college!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006 08:57:57 AM »

Thanks for the insight into gahanna and westerville mr pickles.  I looked at some places online in those cities yesterday.

mop top why did you guys move across the country?  was it for school or work?  i am actually trying to go on a weekend backpacking trip before i leave.  i am abig outdoors person and hiker.i can see mt rainier from my house here in auburn.  i am scared to leave the beautiful mountains.  Is there any hiking or outdoor adventures out there?

i wish i had the money to fly out there first, we are totally blind about columbus.  It should be quite an adventure!!!

we are hoping to do the trip in 4 days.  if we drive about 650 miles a day, the trip is 2465 miles, we should be there at the end of the 4th day.  we are leaving extra time though. 

you now what is sad though.  there are so many things here that i haven't seen or done, like i have never even been to portland and i have lived here my entire life.  if i get the chance before i leave i am going to visit some places.

Thanks so much you guys!! i really need support because everyone around me here is so negative all the time.  It is like people here and my family aren't happy for me.  They are really mean!  I feel so alone in the whole thing because my boyfriend would rather stay here so i am doing all the work regarding moving.

Anyways propbably too much info!!!  i always have more questions so if you guys want to try to answer them let me know.

heres two final questions for today:

What is a good national bank that is in columbus and all over the us?

Any advice on how to travel with a cat in a uhaul for 4 days?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006 11:02:56 AM »

mop top why did you guys move across the country?  was it for school or work?  i am actually trying to go on a weekend backpacking trip before i leave.  i am abig outdoors person and hiker.i can see mt rainier from my house here in auburn.  i am scared to leave the beautiful mountains.  Is there any hiking or outdoor adventures out there?

i wish i had the money to fly out there first, we are totally blind about columbus.  It should be quite an adventure!!!

we are hoping to do the trip in 4 days.  if we drive about 650 miles a day, the trip is 2465 miles, we should be there at the end of the 4th day.  we are leaving extra time though. 

you now what is sad though.  there are so many things here that i haven't seen or done, like i have never even been to portland and i have lived here my entire life.  if i get the chance before i leave i am going to visit some places.

Thanks so much you guys!! i really need support because everyone around me here is so negative all the time.  It is like people here and my family aren't happy for me.  They are really mean!  I feel so alone in the whole thing because my boyfriend would rather stay here so i am doing all the work regarding moving.

we moved for my (now) husband's work (makes beer for Rock Bottom Brewing). when we found out that we'd be moving to cleveland a lot of things had to happen fast.  apartment hunting was done online, everything.  like you, we didn't get a chance to visit the city first.  all of it was done blindly.

my biggest adjustment is definately the landscape.  seeing smokestacks (and some with giant balls of fire shooting out a good 40-50 ft in the air) and factories is quite different from being surrounded by mountains and forests.  the pollution levels drive me nuts... but we do what we can.  i'm the only one at work with a recycling box.  when it's full i have to drive to a drop off site... no streetside pickup service like i was used to.  everytime i carry the box out to my car, co-workers ask me if i quit.  if only...  Roll Eyes 

we haven't had any time for big outdoor adventures yet. most of our adventures have been "how do we get to trader joe's?" and doing other new-to-the-city-explorations.  we are anxious to use our new camping equipment (yea, REI gift registry for weddings!!).  maybe we should do a giant ohio craftster camp out. 

you can do the drive in 4 days.  just make sure you dont' push yourself too hard.  here's a sneak preview of what you might see if you drive the northern route:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/moptopstumptown/sets/72057594070293622/

aren't the craftster crew awesome?  everyone here was really helpful when we did our move too.  it made me feel more confident about leaving everyone & everything i loved back on the west coast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcorwin
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006 06:27:22 PM »

heres two final questions for today:

What is a good national bank that is in columbus and all over the us?

Any advice on how to travel with a cat in a uhaul for 4 days?

Some of the banks in Columbus are:
Fifth Third https://www.53.com
Huntington https://www.huntington.com/
National City http://www.nationalcity.com/personal/

Although I'm not sure how widespread the banks are throughout the US. 
Sorry, no advice on the cat since I'm a dog owner.  Best of luck with your move and let us know when you reach Ohio!  Congrats on starting at CCAD!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 07:25:19 PM »

you guys are the best!!!!  I appreciate this so much.  i am really starting feel good about going there.  if there are people like you guys there it should be great.

moptop how long have you guys been married?  i have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years, but no marriage yet Sad

i loved the pictures.  we are going to take i-90 into montana, probably stop and stay in missoula, butte, or billings.  then we are going to continue on i-90 through south dakota, minnesota, and wisconsin.  we plan to stop and stay in kenosha, wisconsin.  We have a friend we want to stop and see, plus i LOVE CHEESE.  then we hope to take one of the smaller freeways around chicago and connect with i-74 which turns into i-70.  i-70 goes right through columbus, ohio.  so we actually have no idea what we are doing but by lookin at maps that is what we have come up with. we were worried about the snow in the north because we aren't leaving until the very end of october.

keep on recycling!!!  that is awesome that your husband makes beer.  my uncle is the brewmaster for Hale's Ales out here in preston, wa outside of issaquah, wa.  When we get there we would love to try and meet up with you guys and try some of the beer and ohio culture. this is so funny, i even have some good guy friends that are working on there own brewing company here in my hometown.

They have a trader joes out there??  cool. do they have an rei out there?  i heard there is an indoor climbing club in cloumbus, at least that is what it said on ccad school website. 

mcorwin thanks for the bank info.  none of those banks are over here.  we found a couple of key banks listed online in columbus, and they are all over here.  Does anyone think that is a good bank?

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006 10:12:43 PM »

70 will take you straight through downtown Columbus.  It can be a little confusing, but it is one of the best views of the downtown  Cheesy

I've lived here my entire life, so I can't really say anything about moving.  But I can say be prepared for FLAT.  No mountains.  Not even really hills.  Fortunately there isn't a lot of manufacturing, so no flaming smoke stacks. Cheesy

Hocking Hills is about an hour south of Columbus and just beautiful in the fall.  http://www.hockinghillspark.com/  Still kinda flat as compared to where you're coming from.

Columbus does have a drop off recycling program for paper and plastics.  There is a curb side service, but I'm not sure how much that is.

Sorry, no rei Sad  About the closest one is 4 hours away in Pittsburgh. We're home to at least 2 Trader Joe's  Grin  There are a few health food grocery stores, Whole Foods and Wild Oats that are pretty decent.

I haven't heard anything bad Key Bank, for what that's worth  Undecided And I have 2 dogs so no cat advice either.  I'm just a bundle of help today  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn Old Magazines Into a Coiled Paper Basket
How to Convert Photos to Cross-Stitch Designs
How to Crochet
How to Cut Plexiglas
How to Determine the Value of Your Beanie Babies
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...