A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Berroco's Plush yarn for baby dress- dry clean only  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fire*rocket
« on: August 09, 2006 12:41:46 PM »

I haven't gotten too far into this dress; I cast on 108 stitches and did about 3 rows when I noticed that it said dry clean only.  How can I give a baby a dress that can only be dry cleaned?

Should I rip it out and do another project with the yarn?  I've got 8 skeins for the 2 dresses I was going to make (4 skeins per dress in a matching array of colors).  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006 01:05:47 PM »

Even though it says "dry clean only" it could probably be gently handwashed (the Berroco web site says: Care Instructions: Hand wash in lukewarm water with mild soap. Lay flat to dry. Dry clean when mixing colors.) I think the mixing colors things would only matter if there was a very high contrast between the colors (like bright red and white maybe) and is really probably more for their protection than an actual need.

You could knit a swatch with a couple of rows of each color and try hand washing to see if the colors bleed.

That said even a handwash clothing item is iffy for a baby - it would depend alot on the parents. I personally would have felt bad if someone gave something like that to me because I did not dress my child up much (which is the only time she would have worn something I had to hand wash) and I would have known how much work went into it. My sis on the other hand always dressed her child up (of couse it would have to match mom's outfit) and would expect that someone ought to spend a lot of time on her (not that she'd appreciate it mind you - she just expects it - haha).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006 02:50:18 PM »

I'd save the yarn for another project.  I received exactly one handwash/dry clean item (blanket) for my kid this spring and it has yet to see the light of day.  I really appreciated the effort that went into making it, but I just have no energy to put into handwashing anything these days.  Of course, if the mom has lots of help, it's a different story -- anyone with a nanny or housekeeper or similar may be more inclined to appreciate this dress.  And I've heard that some people actually don't mind doing the extra work to make their baby as beautiful as possible.  Let your gift recipient's attitude toward such things be your guide.

As an alternative, there are some very nice acrylics and wool blends that can be thrown in the washing machine, and cotton's always nice for baby stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fire*rocket
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006 06:18:59 AM »

I kind of agree that I shouldn't bother with the dress.  Sad I don't want them to feel bad about not wearing it enough and I don't want to spend all the time and effort on it if it won't be worn.

Now the question is what do I do with this yarn?  If I make a blanket or anything with it it's still going to need to be handwashed.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crnaofca
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006 09:16:53 AM »

then make something that doesn't have to be washed very often. i don't mind handwashing scarf, because i can wear it couple of times before it has to be washed. or bag. or some kind of cozy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006 09:45:57 AM »

Yeah, it has been my experience, both as a giver and a givee, that baby items which require special handling are just as well-appreciated but not quite as well-received/loved because new moms are typically overworked as it is, without adding in special care instructions, etc.  I'd probably pick a different project.  That, or make the dress, knowing that it is not likely to get a lot of use, and either be OK with that, or give them a gift certificate for a photo session or something along with it, so they understand that you KNOW it is a special-occasion type dress, and one that they shouldn't feel obligated to use a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Lighter Pumpkin Pie
Tips for Making Slice and Bake Cookies
How to Quickly Make Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Lemon Chiffon Pie Recipe
Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...